Start by marking “Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))” as Want to Read:
Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))

Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A storm, a shipwreck,

an ongoing ocean,

then finally, finally

a deserted isle. . . .

Safety -- but wait!

The fifteen swimmers

braving the waves

are, after all . . . kitties.

They are not into

saga of sogginess,

a feline fantasy

about drying off (ele

Published June 6th 2006 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castaway Cats (Richard Jackson Books

Sarah Sammis
Castaway Cats is a counting and rhyming book in the vein of Click, Clack, Splish, Splash by Doreen Cronin. It counts up to 15 and back down from 15 while telling the story of a boatload of castaway cats trying to survive on an island in the middle of the South Pacific.

The book opens on a scene similar to one which gets Mrs. Moore washed up by the lighthouse in The Lighthouse, the Cat and the Sea by Leigh W. Rutledge except with happier results. A mixture of breeds wash ashore, including a number
Chelsea Gail Smith
Castaway Cats by Lisa Wheeler and illustrated by Ponder Goembel is the story that I chose would be perfect for a read aloud story. One thing I really enjoyed about this book was that there were fifteen cats in the story and each cat was different. When reading aloud it is fun to use different voices to act as the different cats in the story. The story is about 15 cats being shipwrecked and landing on a deserted island. They work together and said things like, "let me help you," and "you're so th ...more
All i could think of when i saw the Siamese cats swimming on the cover like 'Lotke and Phelps'
(no way)and tiny little kittens desperately clinging to a life preserver, was "this person must hate cats?"
15 cats are washed ashore,near the land of Singapore.
The rhymes dont end, each has a verse,but heck what were they doing,sailing a hearse?
They drank cocoanut milk and fished with poles, ,where they got those no one knows.
Cats looked for rescue from the tops of palms, and fought for survival with m
I thought this book was adorable and my daughter also enjoyed all the different cats. I was kind of reminded of Lynley Dodd with the rhyming style in which the was written which always seems to make the stories flow so much better and makes them fun to read out loud!

The story is about 15 cats that were caught in a storm and washed up on an island. As the days go by they have to learn to work together in order to survive and there is much figting and fur flying before they finally are able to coo
love the outcome of the this cat's tale..
Nov 08, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about shipwrecked cats who must find a way to work together. The narrative is lyrical and rhyming and the illustrations are very nicely detailed. We loved looking at all of the different cats and I enjoyed reading this book aloud.
I think the underlying message about the importance of cooperation is something our politicians need to learn! Overall, it's a entertaining story and we enjoyed reading this book together.
I came across this title while discharging the bookdrop. It's adorable! The story is about 15 cats that are washed ashore on a deserted island following a shipwreck. They have to figure out how to work together to get rescued and in the process realize they have all become such good friends, they are really like family and don't want to be apart once they are rescued. I won't spoil the ending for you! The illustrations are very cute.
Whitney Strickland
Castaway Cats is a book that will take your students on a journey, and right into a math lesson. This story makes counting fun and adds humor to the story by adding 15 cats into the sea. The children at my placement loved this story and I definitely plan on using it for future lessons. It is great to be able to introduce a new concept with a piece of quality children's literature.
This is another wonderful book by Lisa Wheeler. The poetry is lovely, the story great. It's about 15 cats who get washed up on an island and try to get off it. While doing this they learn to work together and also that they care about each other! Nice morals and values ( helping, caring, loving) but not in a preachy way.
Cooperation is the name of the game in this rhyming adventure full of shipwrecked cats. I think this could be sun to Over in the Meadow.
Katie Sicking
This was a funny book about a bunch of cats who get shipwrecked on an island. I think kids would enjoy it.
What's not to love? Fun story and wonderful pictures and perfect cat caricatures! Laughed a lot!
Fifteen cats are washed ashore on a tropical island.
Kelsey Yates
Fun story, well done illustrations
Very Clever!
Mar 08, 2013 Andrew rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Nice teamwork book.
Francesca marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Maranda marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Kayleigh Kamienski
Kayleigh Kamienski marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Traci added it
May 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jazz Baby Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story Ugly Pie Boogie Knights