Start by marking “The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide” as Want to Read:
The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide

The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide

What exactly is a slope? What's the difference between a tile and a plate? Why is it bad to simply stack bricks in columns to make a wall? The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide is here to answer your questions.

Focusing on building actual models with real bricks, The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide comes with complete instructions to build several cool models but also encour
Published September 12th 2005 by No Starch Press (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide

Start your review of The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide
Amanda
Oct 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1st-grade
I was hoping this would have a lot more pictures and show things to build with LEGOs. I'm not sure whether I'll ever really "read" it since it seems pretty dry on the surface.
Shawn
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review a book on Lego? Ser­i­ously? Not that I would make a secret of my con­tinu­ing fas­cin­a­tion with those funky little pieces of plastic and all that you can do with them, but I am con­stantly amazed by the vast eco­sys­tem that sur­rounds this Dan­ish won­der. I use the term won­der quite deliberately…it is won­der­ment, it is won­der­ful and it is this innate sense of curi­os­ity, of invent­ive­ness, of cre­ativ­ity, yet in a struc­tured, and deeply thought­ful, sys­tem­atic engage­ment ...more
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
After building a few (OK, a lot of) Lego sets with my son, I've rediscovered my love for Lego and making custom builds. When I saw Allan Bedford's Unofficial Lego Builder's Guide I decided to give it a try, hoping for some ideas and useful information to incorporate into my own creations.

The book covers some basic Lego information, including a brief history of the product, basics on dimensions and scales, etc. before launching into the more practical information. Bedford gives some good - if bas
Niklas
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Luin tämän Allan Bedfordin Lego-kirjan suomeksi, mutta Goodreadsista ei löytynyt omaa sivua suomennokselle. Kirja on ihan hyvin tehty mutta se liikkuu omaan makuuni ihan liian yleisellä tasolla ja rönsyilee sinne-tänne, enkä oikein saanut otetta siitä kenelle se olisi suunnattu. Bedfordin käsittelemät aiheet käydään lävitse liian nopeasti, enkä saanut oikeastaan mitään ideoita kirjan lukemisesta. Mukana on pari mallia, jotka eivät nekään ole erityisen ihmeellisiä, sekä kattava Brickopedia.
Martyn Lovell
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide is a how-to book aimed at filling the gap for basic, comprehensive information about how to have fun and be effective while playing with LEGO.

The book includes chapters on different common LEGO building styles, with hints and tips on each of them. It includes specific plans for a small number of models to demonstrate techniques. It also includes a Brickopedia - a list of common bricks with brief details and suggestions for each. The book provides online access
Sic Transit Gloria
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've played with Legos for over a decade, but only now am I looking to improve the quality of my models. I thought this book would be a big help by giving me tips and tricks on how to make my creations a little more professional.

I was wrong.

Allan Bedford only covers the most basic of topics. Although he even goes into things like building jumbo bricks and sculpting with Lego, he doesn't actually go into detail about how to overall improve your creations. The chapter on sorting was no help either
John
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good primer on building with Lego. Covers everything from basic building techniques to storing your collection. No real "wow, that's useful" moments, but a good solid intro to the hobby. Actually, there was one tip using two brick separator tools that I will be sure to remember.

The "Brickopedia" at the back was the original reason I got this book, and while I have since found far more comprehensive brick catalogs online, it was still an interesting and informative read.

I doubt I'll end up ref
Matthew
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 stars mostly for being such a beautifully designed and elegantly written book. I might be getting sappy, but the cleanliness of the design and the simple, direct prose of the instructions and advice felt just like having a conversation with the person who creates those lovely wordless instructions in a lego set.

The Unofficial Guide is relatively basic and could be read by older children, but also provides a lot of clever and why-didn't-I-think-of-that practices.

Recommended.
Brent Knorr
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I confess, I scanned this book more than I completely read it, but it has some pretty good ideas on how to get started on more complex Lego building if you want to move past just building kits or very basic structures. It would have been nice if the interior illustrations and pictures could have been in color, but they are generally still quite clear even in black and white.
Noah Kellstedt
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like Lego and I like reading this book because it taught me new technics and showed me how to build different things. It also inspired me with new ideas of things I could build with Legos.
Compared to other Lego books this one had more basic informations.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves building legos. It is a good book to have in my lego collection.
Jameson Yu
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am moving it back to my currently reading pile as. i am always pulling it back out to reference it. i have the b/w version and i am sure the coloured one would be easier but this is still a very goos book to use .
Perpetualstudent
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The book contains some good material including design guides and a brick encyclopedia. Overall the content is at a fairly basic level.
Kirstin
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
A great book for a LEGO loving family like mine.
Erik Gray
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lego books.

I liked this book because it's technical.
I gave it a four star rating because it ain't a step by step guide.
Julia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book for the serious Lego enthusiast. I really appreciated the Brickopedia and will be soon cataloging all my pieces accordingly.
Kyle
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
A really good overview of building techniques for Lego builders just starting out...
Jason George
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great building tips!
C
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
An interesting little book. The brickpedia is cool to look through.
Cassandra
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
This books has some great tips and tricks and a great catalogue of pieces.
Laura Dravland

• The LEGO Adventure Book, Vol. 1
  • Voices in the Dark
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • LEGO Minifigures Character Encyclopedia
  • The Dark Is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2)
  • How I Tried to Be a Good Person
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Harvey Pekar's Cleveland
  • Tips for Kids: Transformers: Cool Projects for Your Lego Bricks
  • Aliens: The Original Comics Series-Nightmare Asylum and Earth War
  • Marvels
  • Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Son of the Sun (The Don Rosa Library, #1)
  • Batman, Volume 3: Death of the Family