Start by marking “No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)

No Man's Mistress

(Mistress #2)

The dark, devastating stranger rode into the village fair and wagered twenty pounds at the throwing booth — for a chance to win the daisies in Viola Thornhill’s hair. The Gypsy fortune teller had warned: “Beware of a tall, dark, handsome stranger. He can destroy you — if you do not first snare his heart.”

Recklessly Viola flirted, then danced with him around the Maypole. An
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Dell (first published August 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about No Man's Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Man's Mistress

Rane
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For the past two years Viola Thornhill life has been peaceful and calm. After picking up the pieces of her life and starting anew, Viola’s life seems almost perfect. Until she meets a handsome stranger at a May Day celebration and is warned by a fortuneteller there, to beware of him as he could destroy her life if she doesn’t snare his heart first. Not taking the warning to heed, Viola finds herself attracted to this stranger and at the end of the fair, kisses from him. Thinking nothing more of ...more
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I can't believe I'm giving this 1 star. A 1 star for a Balogh. I just, I'm in a state of shock. I bought this because I wanted to read something that would be steady and reliable. I wasn't expecting fireworks I just wanted enjoyment.

Instead, there was this. And I paid FIVE ENGLISH POUNDS. Which, since Brexit, is about $15786 (I jest for effect, but: really).

Oh boy.

Nothing about this worked for me.

Spoilers ahead, I'm not warning bracketing them because, frankly, if I can steer you away from re
Jane Stewart
Sep 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: regency-romance
Too much stupidity. I hated it. Viola did too many stupid things which ruined the story for me.

She was the illegitimate daughter of an Earl who promised her ownership of an estate. (view spoiler)
Adrienne
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-loan
Ummmm love,love,loved it. This story just grabbed me and took me along. Other reviewers have given story details (I think) so I'm just going to say I really wasn't expecting the two surprises Mary Balogh has given us with this story, and they made it all the more special for me! A great story and a nice romance.
Chumchum_88
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I'v decided, I'm In love with Mary Balogh (even though Julie Garwood would still remain my first love) XD

Ferdinand was a totally different type of Hero's that usually come my way, I loved him instantly, he was so sweet and adorable especially when I knew that he was one of the few men who are virgins, he was so cute then. He's the smiley cheery and cheeky type of guy, he's the type that you just can't help but like, that's why I liked his efforts with the villagers , I sided with him since the b
Laura V.
Ya sé qué le hizo falta a esta novela: momentos de felicidad. A ver, Jocely y Jane tuvieron esa semana idílica donde eran tremendamente adorables y charlaban un montón, y se reían tranquilos y las preocupaciones al menos no traspasaban las paredes. Ferdinand y Viola no tienen nada de eso.

Ella en el primer capítulo se muestra como alguien alegre, despreocupada, sencilla, casi feliz. Cuando llega Ferdinand se vuelve amargada, infeliz, rencorosa, en constante sufrimiento. No encuentro en esta nove
Wealhtheow
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, regency
Ferdinand Dudley is pleased to win a small estate while playing at cards. But when he visits his new mansion, he finds the supposedly deserted property already has a resident--a young, beautiful, and demure woman named Viola Thornhill! Viola is as sure that the property is hers as he is that it's his, and she sets out to prove to him that he wouldn't be comfortable in the country. To her consternation, the interloper laughs off the badly cooked food, roosters-at-dawn, and smoky rooms, and even w ...more
*The Angry Reader*
This was a enemies-to-lovers historical with an unexpected twist and fair-to-moderate drama. I do not enjoy the enemies-first trope bc it makes me uncomfortable. I'm a fan of the chase - not the bickering.

The twist and the drama were a bit convoluted. A relatively simple storyline suddenly became bumpy. It wasn't poorly done - but again this isn't my favorite kind of story.

As always the characters were on-point. MB makes them lovable - warts and all. And huge props to her for a story where the
Kay Bolton
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star

The Duke's brother, Lord Ferdinand Dudley wins a house in a card game, and hies off to have a look around....stopping only briefly the day before to have a fit of sport at the village fair and a stolen kiss with a country miss.

Unfortunately, when he arrives at his newly acquired property he finds he has a sitting tenant, Viola Thornhill ... who maintains that the deceased Earl of Bamber had left her the property in his will .... she refuses to leave and so does Ferdinand .... who's in the right?
Gina
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Ferdinand won a manor house in a card game. The person he won it from failed to mention that someone is living in it. When he shows up to claim the house, he is surprised to find Viola Thornhill - and even more surprised when she refuses to leave. The beginnings of this book had me thinking it was going to be a standard meet cute with love following. Instead there was a great twist that sent the plot off in an interesting direction. Those parts were great. The ending got a bit long winded, and l ...more
Jasbell76
Heroine was a courtesan :/ That is not my type of heroine, sorry... (-_-) Even if she did it for good reasons :(
Evanne Lorraine
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Balogh can't seem to write a book I don't love <3
Dawn
Lord Ferdinand has won a small country property, Pinewood, in a game of cards. The day he goes to check it out he finds the town is very quaint and enjoys himself at a carnival. It is there he meets a very beautiful and mysterious woman. The next morning he arrives at Pinewood expecting a run down property and instead finds it thriving and occupied by the very same mystery woman, Viola Thornhill. Ms Thornhill is a woman of many secrets and refuses to leave her home, but Ferdinand believes he has ...more
Christine
CandyCorn
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
(Contains SPOILERS.)

I'm new to the historical genre, but I have to say that this has been the MOST FRUSTRATING read I have ever had so far.

(view spoiler)
Sheila Melo
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Wanted to Like It More Than I Did

NO MAN'S MISTRESS is the second book in the Mistress Trilogy. It is the story of Lord Ferdinand Dudley who wins an estate in a card game only to find out that it is already inhabited by Viola Thornhill, who insists that the estate is hers. The two match series over the estate. Viola, however, harbors dark secrets and a painful past that leaves her alone.

I really wanted to like this book, but I never really liked Viola. She was too much of an enigma throughout t
Helene Harrison
Review - I loved Viola and her principles - she refuses to marry Ferdinand because it would pull him down, but at the same time, I loved Ferdinand for not caring what the ton thought. It was two halves that blended really well together. I found it a little slow in the middle, but the beginning and the end were truly gripping to find out in what way Kirby would get his comeuppance, and how the relationship would progress.

Genre - Historical Fiction / Romance

Characters - Viola Thornhill / Ferdinand
Christine
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Such a sweet story!

She has a past with a Dark Secret which she won't share with him. He's afraid of relationships after seeing how awful his parents' marriage was.

Balogh is such a talented writer that she can make this somewhat tired story line look very polished.
Viola and Lord Ferdinand Dudley are well-drawn characters. Viola's 'split personality' makes her relationship with Dudley operate on two levels. It is fun to watch as Dudley falls for both of them.

It was interesting that Dudley was a v
KJ, Madame Librarian
Jun 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
This was a solid 3 star book, except when we got to the end and all the tired prostitution tropes got trotted out once more with feeling.

And then, there was my least favorite romance device: "I know you're SAYING, my sweet daffodil, but I know that you MEAN something else. I can SEE it with my SPECIAL EYES."

Blech.
Michele
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I expected more lightness with Ferdinand Dudley's story than his brother's the Duke of Tresham and I was both right and wrong. Ferdie's and Viola's story has more pathos and more light. An elegant tale. Rich and satisfying.
Madenna U
This book was fun, but not as good as the first in the series. Of course, the author's work is better than most others - even on a bad day.
Dee Ann
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Slightly slow beginning but more than makes up for it sfter a few chapters. Thank you as usual Ms. Balough for a great read.
Jill R
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Did not finish. I couldn’t get into the hero or the premise. It felt more like a Tessa Dare book than a Mary Balogh book. Who knows maybe it completely turned around but I have other books I need to get to on Overdrive.
Abigail Escobar
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
ok, me acabo de terminar este y creo que es espectacular, primero quiero decir que lo leí la semana evaluaciones de mi escuela, yo estaba en un estado de depresión o mas bien sigo en un estado de depresión y "No Man's Mistress" era como una luz al final de la obscuridad ; osea logro distraerme completamente de mi realidad, en si le doy un 4.80 y si no le di las 5 estrellas es por que Viola se me hizo demasiado necia, yo estaba como ¡Por Dios! ¡Anda De una vez cuéntale! todo! jaja.
De acuerdo empe
Georgie
I like Mary Balogh's world - it feels a little more rounded than that of many other Regency writers, as it acknowledges non-standard heroines (they aren't always virgins, and some of them have experimented quite a bit), and some non-standard heroes (who are not necessarily born with a sense of honour, but may achieve it). But, on the whole, it's a world that operates loosely according to historical probability.

This book is, however, a rare flop. The first part of plot is well-rehearsed in other
Everalice
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Pas facile de donner un avis sur un roman quand on risque d'en spoiler la majeure partie, et je ne voudrais pas vous gâcher le plaisir de la découverte, surtout que la présentation de la 4ème de couverture est plus qu'allégée, et n'en dit que très peu.
Sans entrer dans les détails, donc, je dirais que ce roman plaira, certainement. On y retrouve toute la palette talentueuse de Mary Balogh, bien équilibrée, entre son écriture fouillée, son scénario riche, ses personnages développés et attachants.
E
KimberlyRose
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-romance-het
Christina
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ferdinand MADE this book for me!! His brother may be the epitome of the alpha, brooding male and Ferdinand may be completely opposite of him, but he is just as manly and sexy. Jocelyn is the perfect type of man to read in a story, that makes Ferdinand the perfect type of man for me in real life. If there was a man like him around me I'd probably swoon! He's charming, silly & funny, intelligent, caring, giving, sexy, NOT a man whore which is AWESOME & still has that raw masculinity (beati ...more
Ssil
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Llevaba tiempo sin leer nada de Mary Balogh. Me había desencantado de la autora sin saber muy bien las razones, así que después de tanto tiempo me animé a probar algo suyo de nuevo, y el resultado final ha sido más que satisfactorio. Comencé la novela sin expectativas, las primeras parecían indicar que se iba a tratar de una novela sencilla y agradable, pero según fui avanzando en la trama y descubrí el secreto de Viola, la protagonista, mi opinión cambió bastante.

Lord Ferdinand ha ganado en una
Amarilli Settantatre
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Il secondo volume della trilogia dedicata ai fratelli Dudley (Lord Tresham, Ferdinand e Angeline) vede come protagonista Ferdinand, il figlio cadetto, il quale, pur amabile, risulta una figura inevitabilmente messa in ombra dal mitico fratellone (non a caso, ogni volta che Tresham riappare in scena - in un'inaspettata e deliziosa veste "casalinga", alle prese con neonati, coliche e ruttini - tutta la trama sembra riprendere vita).
Alla fine ne risulta una storia d'am
  • A Deal With the Devil (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #4)
  • The Outlaw and the Lady (Daughters of Fortune, #1)
  • Touched by Fire
  • River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • The Devil's Heiress (Three Heroes, #3; Company of Rogues, #8)
  • My Forever Love
  • The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)
  • A Lady of His Own (Bastion Club, #3)
  • Notorious (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #4)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Kiss Me, Annabel (Essex Sisters, #2)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

Mistress (3 books)
  • More Than a Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1)
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)
“The worst thing about loneliness is that it brings one face to face with oneself.” 65 likes
“If there were no illusions, there would bo no disillusionment. But then one would have no fond memories either, with which fortify oneself against the pain of the reality.” 2 likes