Start by marking “On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen” as Want to Read:
On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

(The Science and Lore of the Kitchen #1)

Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking is a kitchen classic. Hailed by Time magazine as "a minor masterpiece" when it first appeared in 1984, On Food and Cooking is the bible to which food lovers and professional chefs worldwide turn for an understanding of where our foods come from, what exactly they're made of, and how cooking transforms them into something new and delicious ...more
Hardcover, Revised, Second Edition, 896 pages
Published November 16th 2004 by Scribner (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about On Food and Cooking, please sign up.
Lior Aviram Wikipedia says:
Wikipedia says:
"It is published by Hodder & Stoughton in Britain under the title McGee on Food and Cooking: An Encyclopedia of Kitchen Science, History and Culture."
But I'd like to know if there are any content differences.(less)
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Food-Related Non-Fiction
911 books — 1,537 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,176 books — 1,071 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cooks, Chefs, the scientifically minded, and programmers for Personal Chef Robots of the future.
This book is endlessly fascinating. Interesting tidbits McGee's has taught me: raw pineapple will curdle milk, but cooked pineapple will not. Some of our fellow humans will be repulsed by cheese because of an instinctual reaction to fermented foods. See? Fascinating!

McGee's contains necessary information that you can not get from a recipe on practically every dish and ingredient known to man. This is the kind of book that will sit next to the stove, dog-eared and grease-spattered, eternally usef
Cynthia
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foodies, lovers of trivia, history buffs
Before there was Alton Brown, there was Harold McGee. This is a smart, dazzling, fabulously eclectic collection of information about what we eat. From Plato’s views on cooking to electron micrographs of cheese to a description of how eggs form in a chicken’s body to the history of beer and chocolate, this book offers an intoxicating wealth of food information, trivia, and science. Did you know that the cell walls of mushrooms aren’t made up of cellulose, like plants, but rather of chitin, the ca ...more
David
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mathematicians, scientists
Once upon a time, I was expressing my frustration with books on cooking to a chemist friend -- primarily that most books on cooking treat cooking as this magical art. They presume lots of knowledge on the part of the reader and they give directions that theoretically make the food what it's supposed to be, rarely explaining WHY you want to cook this meat at temperature x or mince this thing instead of slice, or whatever. I wanted something that answered a bit more of the Why?

This friend suggeste
^
The 2nd edition. Concentrated knowledge; yet NOT written in impenetrable ‘academicalese.’ McGee's ability to amass, sort, analyse, and order an enormous amount of relevant information is awesomely impressive. He makes the average PhD. thesis look sheepish.

This is definitely a reference book to be laid open on a table and lovingly dipped into by an enquiring mind. Not held open in the hands: too heavy. However, I’ll keep my (much smaller) copy of the 1st edition, because I want to follow how McGe
John Burke
Dec 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in how food works
This is an invaluable resource when your kids ask "does THIS cheese have mold in it" or "why does it all stick together if you cook it too long" or when you want to know what makes espresso different from coffee. Is is not about cooking, but about why and how cooking works, about where the flavor is in the spices and why the tomato ripens, what makes a sauce a sauce instead of gravy or soup, and what nougat really is. The style is accessible but unafraid of chemistry. A wonderful companion to th ...more
Hirondelle
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, science
I think I am going to be currently reading this for a very very long time. Its 800 pages, small print, massive index (essential) and bibliography. Human imagination and cultural complexity regarding food being as it is, not even 800 pages will be enough, so I dont think it has EVERYTHING on food but it does have practically everything of the most common kind, in a wide global way.

First thing - this is not a recipe book and it is a pretty serious book. You can use it as dictionary, using the ver
Matthew Iden
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who eat
Recommended to Matthew by: Found it on a library shelf
On Food and Cooking is one of those few books that I can drop on a table, let it fall open to any page, and read for the next hour.

As I said to someone once: you may not cook, but you probably eat. If so, this book should keep you entranced. Nearly anything you might want to know about the history, etymology, and process of gastronomy is covered in this volume, but even that is too dry a description to really explain how fun it is.

Want to know why there are so many Sugar Loaf mountains around
Lisa Hawkins
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It would be a stretch to say that I am a cook or a 'foodie', but I imagine that every culinary master in America must own this book.

This is NOT a cookbook -- it's a guide to food, a dynamic explanation about where your food comes from, the science behind how it cooks/blends/rises and how preparation techniques impact taste.

It's a book that is hard to peg, and not one that you'll read cover-to-cover in one sitting. The writing is succinct but not tedious to follow, and every chapter packs in a s
Nick Black
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nick by: new yorker
At $25, it's rather more palatable (pun intended!) than Modernist Cuisine's $675, and was referenced in the same New Yorker article. According to GnuCash, I spent more money last year on cigarettes than groceries; changing that seems a noble enough objective. I'll likely start by stocking pepper.

btw, wenger, i dig your taking up of my "*-acquire*" bookshelf semantics!
Monica Lauer
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being a total food nerd, this book was heaven for me. I am curious about the chemistry, preparation and anthropology of food and McGee has all of those bases covered. If you cannot handle information purveyed to you in a dry, textbook-like manner this is not the book for you. However if you want to know everything there is to know about eggs, milk, herbs, veggies, meat and more and why they all work together so well (or don't) you definitely need to pick this one up!
Scott Erickson
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly epic book. It covers food from every relevant angle: gastronomically, biologically, chemically, historically, culturally. It's exhaustive and, as a result, can be exhausting sometimes. It took a month of fairly regular reading to finish, and I skipped some parts. But if you read this book from cover to cover, you probably should skip some of it, too. It covers so many aspects of nourishment that while you're basically guaranteed to find parts that are interesting or intriguing to ...more
Elizabeth Theiss
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Who knew that food science could keep you up late at night? This is a can't-put-it-down explanation of how cooking, pickling,preserving, fluffing, rising, kneading and all manner of other cooking techniques work. I return to McGee's explanations again and again. I am a better cook and a more appreciative eater as a result. Bravo Mr. McGee!
pinknantucket
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK so I didn't read absolutely every word of this book, but it's over 800 pages and I reckon I read more than enough of them to equal a decently long novel. I'm actually reading it for my thesis, what with McGee being a pre-eminent food scientist and all, and it's so much more pleasurable to read than your average science textbook. Describing the science behind food - why does bread rise? Why should you start stocks with cold water? - McGee takes you not only through the science but also into so ...more
Diana
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Very comprehensive book for the average person who is really into food. It goes into the historical and scientific background of various foods. The writing style is easy to follow, so there's no getting lost with this book!

I found the author's writing style to be a little too flowery, but it may just be that I am not enough of a food connoisseur to understand some of his descriptions. For example, he describes buffalo milk as being barnyardy and reminiscent of mushrooms and freshly-cut grass. Th
Vicky
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I ruined cream sauce by cooking it at a too hot temperature (so that instead of thickening, the cream just broke down into water and oil), I thought I needed to know a little more about exactly what was going on when I cooked. I asked my brother (scientist and cook) to get me something like that for my birthday, and he sent this book. Lots of interesting information for cooking geeks. I am not sure yet if it has improved my cooking, but it's still fun to read. Most interesting to me: the se ...more
Greymalkin
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook
Such a fun and interesting book. As a foodie and a scientist I appreciate his approach to cooking and food. I also love the sense of joyful curiosity that suffuses the book. I was lucky enough to attend a talk by Harold McGee and he is still just as charming and enthusiastic as he seems in the book. He had so many interesting facts to impart that I wished the talk was three times as long. I'd love to sit down and chat with him.
Jen
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally! I'm not sure how many people read this book cover to cover, but I did! I learned a lot about food and cooking food and feel this has already helped me become a better cook. Probably too dry for most people, though, especially if you're not into the minutia of cooking... down to how atoms and molecules react. I learned about this book from the HarvardX class on EdX called: Science & Cooking. A great class if you're into cooking and/or science.
Matt
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the most hardcore, badass book about food I have ever seen. Any time you want to know what you're actually doing when you're in the kitchen, this will spell it out for you. If the OED had a one night stand with your O-Chem textbook while watching to food network, this would be their lovechild.
Eva Gogola
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This book is a MUST for the kitchen. I was never one for math, chemistry or any sort of science until I started cooking. This book is a great resource and packed tight with incredibly interesting food knowledge.
John Croutch
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you love cooking and want to know the minutiae of the science behind cooking, then this book is for you.
Esteban Siravegna
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great reading about a lot of facts on cooking, or debunking a lot of urban legends such as 'sealing' the meat in order to preserve tenderness.
Claudia
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Of course i did not read it all, used it selectively as reference.
Rod Greener
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: serious foodies, chefs,
Recommended to Rod by: Le Cordon Bleu culinary school
The finest book on food science and food history on the market!

I will never actually be done reading as I go back to it all the time.
_topo_
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
tutto ma proprio tutto quello che si vuole sapere sul cibo, dal punto di vista storico, gastronomico, biologico...
Radu P
"Cooking is applied chemistry, and the basic concept of chemistry-molecules, energy, heat, reactions-are keys to a clearer understanding of what our foods are and how we transform them."
This book it has an immeasurable value.The author did a huge research in order to write it.
I was always curious to find out the explanation for all cooking procedures,argumentation for the sience behind the cooking.The author manage to do it very well.
Also you can find good tips and tricks which you can apply
Jason
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For lovers of Cooks Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen. This the best of materialist explorations of food preparation. McGee gets into the foundational molecular details and interactions of ingredients and explores basic components like sauces and dough. This is not fussy though - it's imminently readable, and he covers both technique and historical trends. I've been reading straight through, but I'm glad it's in the library, so I can re-read as I delve into new cooking practices.
Owen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Very interesting and informative while balancing readability. Does a great job of incorporating science, food history, and use. I wish they would publish updates regularly but the topic is so broad that it's probably a mammoth task. I am typically a fiction reader and have been able to work my way through this which is unusual for me.
Leoba Mordenvale
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-books
Cookbooks tell you the "how" of food preparation; this book tells you the "why." Namely, why particular techniques are required for certain foods, and specifically, why things go wrong. If you are a professional cook or an interested experimenter (like me, I am a food historian in training), this is an important book for your shelf.
Randal
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People starting to get serious about cooking
Shelves: nonfiction
An excellent guide to food for people just starting to understand the why of cooking. Having spent a life in kitchens (home and professional) there wasn't enough new to entice me to finish it, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what's here.
Sam
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any hobbyist cook or anyone interested in food science should read this. Every time I try something new I read up on the chapter about that food. Eg...Making sourdough for the first time? Check out the detailed breakdown of the importance of fermentation time of the starter.
Meo lam tom hum sot me chua cay sieu ngon 1 2 Oct 20, 2016 12:54AM
  • What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained
  • Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Cooks, and Good Food
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
  • The Physiology of Taste: Or, Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques: Featuring More Than 1,000 Cooking Methods and Recipes,  in Thousands of  Step-by-Step Photographs
  • The River Cottage Meat Book
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: And Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • The Professional Chef
  • How to Read a French Fry: And Other Stories of Intriguing Kitchen Science
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
Harold James McGee is an American author who writes about the chemistry and history of food science and cooking. He is best known for his seminal book On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen initially published in 1984 and revised in 2004.

McGee is a visiting scholar at Harvard University. His book On Food and Cooking has won numerous awards and is used widely in food science cours

The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (2 books)
  • The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore
“Salsify” 1 likes
“Fish are an endless source of meditation and astonishment. The varied forms of these strange creatures, their diverse means of existence, the influence upon this of the places in which they must live and breathe and move about….” 0 likes