Start by marking “I Was There” as Want to Read:
I Was There

I Was There

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A young German boy narrates his experiences in the Hitler youth movement during the early years of the Third Reich.
Published May 1st 1987 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about I Was There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was There

Eris
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a very emotive story showing a era involving Germany under Hitler's power
Krystal Loverin
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
The book gives you a light insight into time turmoil of being a youth during Hitler's rise to power. I felt like it needed to include more back story within the story instead of the glossary at the back of the book. A good leeway into reading more information about WWII.
Trixi
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holocaust
This follows the lives of 3 boys as Hitler took power in the early 30s through 1943. Hans, Gunther, and Heinz all are growing up in Germany and have decidedly different upbringings. Hans parents seem to be a typical German family, not really for Hitler, but not against him either, and have Jewish friends. Heinz's father is an early member of the Nazi party, and Gunther's father has been arrested for publicly speaking out against Hitler. Hans looks up to Heinz and eventually joins the Jugenvolk s ...more
Kyle Pefley
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it

“I Was There”, by Hans Peter Richter, Is a story about a boy growing up during the years before and during World War 2 in Germany. The narrator and his friends join the Hitler Youth and devote their childhood to Germany. The narrator had to decide between doing what he thought was right and what other people thought was right. As the story progresses, he must survive in a world full of hate, nationalism, and discipline.
I would recommend this book who like to read about the time period, but tha
Eric The
So far I had read the book up to page 40. I know that Hitler started off as a nice guy then ended up being a terrible man. So one of themes I think would be cleverness. Another thing is that Hans was suspicious and does not like Hitler from the start. So another one I think would be questioning. Because he makes an assumption that he is a bad man. I also thing there will be another one, judgmental because Hitler thinks that all Jews are bad. I also think that Something bad will happen soon with ...more
Melanie
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A companion novel to Richter's Friedrich. Where Friedrich told the story of the friendship between the narrator and his childhood pal Friedrich, this story tells of the narrators compulsory membership in the Hitler Youth.
Alan Hughes
I found this childrens' book when I had no book on the go. I was surprised that it was an engaging read which tackles an important subject well. It gives some useful insight into the generation who grew up under Hitler's tutelage.
Carrie Skelton
Read this with my 6th grader for his LA class. very interesting and gives a good view into the Hilter Youth.
Melainebooks
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La jeunesse dans les jeunesses hitlériennes d'Hans Peter Richter avec ses deux amis Heinz et Günther.
Roman autobiographique.
Maeya
Nov 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Found it a little bit boring to be honest
Jack
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
made a big impression on me as a teenager.. keen to track down a copy and see if I still love it as an adult.
Umit
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german
Eine sehr traurige doch wahre Geschichte die Einblicke in das damalige Geschehen bat. Die Story hatte mich ziemlich mitgerissen obwohl in damals noch nicht so viele Bücher las.
Jedem zu empfehlen!
Graham Dixon
Sep 28, 2017
Hailey
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2016
  • Shakespeare's Daughter
  • Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
  • Dream Days
  • Triumf chirurgów
Hans Peter Richter (1926–1993) was a German author. Born in Cologne, Germany, went to school in Germany, went to the university of Hannover, and graduated in 1968. He also spent some of his life in the German army. Richter wrote many books for children and young adults. Notable among them is the novel Friedrich (in German Damals War Es Friedrich), about the persecution of Jews in Germany during th ...more
More about Hans Peter Richter...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99