Start by marking “The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)” as Want to Read:
The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)

The Inventor's Secret

(The Inventor's Secret #1)

There is an alternate cover edition for this edition here.

Sixteen-year-old Charlotte and her fellow refugees have scraped out an existence on the edge of Britain’s industrial empire. Though they live by the skin of their teeth they have their health (at least when they can find enough food and avoid the Imperial Labor Gatherers) and each other. When a new exile with no mem
Published April 22nd 2014 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about The Inventor's Secret, please sign up.
Michєllє ・ᴗ・ Sort of... There is like two kisses, and some scenes where they get really close to kissing but stop. Hope this helped!
Kolbe McQuaid I don't know for sure, but it seems that the author based the five levels of the Floating City off of the five boroughs in the real New York City;…moreI don't know for sure, but it seems that the author based the five levels of the Floating City off of the five boroughs in the real New York City; Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.(less)

Jon
Jun 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Check out Scott Reads It for reviews, giveaways, & more!
I wasn't a fan of Andrea Cremer's Nightshade series, but I decided to read The Inventor's Secret because I absolutely loved its premise. An alternate history, steampunk novel that explores what if the British won the Revolutionary War? Count me in! The major problem with The Inventor's Secret is that Cremer focuses on an illogical romance and plot and never really lets the steampunk elements fully take off. So much of The Inventor's Se
Kuromi
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
-potential light spoilers-

I was at the library when this little fellow caught my eye. "Hey!" it called from the "New Books" section. "Pick me! Pick me!" But I was determined to ignore it's pleas to be read.

But it was steampunk.
And it was third person (I'm sick of first person!)

"Oh, I'll just check it out. If it's bad, I can always laugh about it."

And I'm glad I did! It's far from perfect, but it's one of the better "New YA Fiction" I've read this year. Let me break it down for ya.

Characters:

Cha
Marta Álvarez
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Me ha faltado un poco de profundidad en los personajes, en sus relaciones. Me parece que la idea de esta historia alternativa está muy bien asentada, pero que no desarrolla todo el potencial porque se pierde en una trama romántica más bien floja. Pero qué puedo decir, ha terminado por engancharme: la mística, el steampunk y los caballeros del s.XIX es lo que tienen...
Sean
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5. I loved rereading this and can't wait to read the sequel!
Kassidy
*3.5*

This is an enjoyable and entertaining read, but, to me, it lacks depth.

This book is an alternate history story. It explores the idea of what America would be like if the British won the Revolutionary war. The British control the country from the Empire, which is located in NYC.
Our main character, Charlotte, is part of the resistance, living in underground catacombs. Teens live in these catacombs until they are old enough to join the adults in fighting the British control.

Along with this aw
Colleen Houck
I think I just love everything Andrea Cremer writes. Not only do I bookmark like every page but I swoon over her heroes. Jack Winter was no exception. Love him and the world building in this book is amazing! If you're a steampunk fan pick this one up!
Mackenzi
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I kind of hate that I didn't hate this book. It badly written, cliche in places, and has a love triangle between brothers to boot. But damn if it wasn't a lot of goofy steampunk fun.

However, I wish there had been a climax. There was literally no climax.
Justine
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
Je suis contente d'avoir persévérer parce que j'ai plutôt bien aimé, au final.
En ce moment, c'est un passage à vide niveaux lectures, je suis un peu laborieuse. J'ai eu du mal à rentrer dans l'histoire, à m'investir dans l'intrigue et les personnages. Il y a quelques détails qui me gênent (encore un triangle amoureux à l'horizon ?). Mais j'ai vraiment bien apprécié les 200 dernières pages qui m'ont plutôt captivée au fur et à mesure et la fin me donne envie de lire la suite... évidemment : je n
Venus
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
The American Revolutionary War was a failure. British justice was swift and merciless. Sixteen-year-old Charlotte is the daughter of resistance fighters, hiding out with other children in a network of caves, safe until they are old enough to join the fight. When a new exile with no memory escapes from the floating city of New York, he brings with him a lot of questions and plenty of danger.

This alternative history steampunk novel had some really great world building. Boston is a penal colony whe
Lauren - SERIESous Books

Despite the lightness of the plot, this book kept my attention and entertained from the start. I enjoyed learning more about the characters and the world (such a cool alternative history twist!). It was a little lighter on the steampunk than I would have liked and I feel like certain plot twists were super obvious but it was enjoyable nonetheless!

Full Review: https://wp.m
Cornmaven
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I received this as an ARC in a GoodReads giveaway. I was looking forward to reading this book, as I have enjoyed just about every other steampunk novel/short story anthology I have read in the past.

Unfortunately, this one was just not for me. I would classify this as chicklit steampunk, for the following reasons:

1. There is little action in the first 100 pages (I got to 106 before I abandoned it, which shows I tried, I really tried). The beginning seemed promising, but then it quickly morphed i
Maria
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Well. This was nothing but a gigantic letdown. I picked up The Inventor's Secret because I enjoyed Andrea Cremer's short story addition to A Tyranny of Petticoats and the premise of her novel sounded right up my alley: Alternate history, set in a steampunk America after Britain won the Revolutionary War. Ever since the British crushed the revolution, they've been ruling over the colonies with an iron fist. While the people of the Empire live pompous lives surrounded by wealth, everyone who was o ...more
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did! I haven't exactly been seeing raving reviews on this book and after reading Bloodrose, I had mixed feelings on Andrea Cremer's books. This book actually exceeded my expectations and I ended up enjoying it!

This book takes place in the early nineteenth century, in an alternate timeline where the British won the Revolutionary War. The Empire has been punishing the descendant
Rebecca Veight
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
" If a storm comes, may the wind be with us" I have always loved books/movies about growing rebellions and I sincerely heart this one.

In a steam punk alternate 19th century where the Revolution was lost & America is still a British colony, Charlotte finds a boy with amnesia. In danger, she takes him to the Catacombs, a refuge for teens of the Resistance.

Exciting from the very beginning, Cremer has created an amazing world which she details with such colorful care. She has a way of making you
WTF Are You Reading?
Fans of Steampunk will expect a great deal from this novel. As will fans of alternate history and fantasy.
Unfortunately, what this book promises and what it is able to deliver is in no way the same kettle of fish.
Try as she might.
It is quite clear that authoress, Andrea Cremer, is clearly out of her depth with this book.
Just the scope of the world building alone requires a level of attention to detail that just isn't there.
The love interest is confusing!
And...
The use of the Greek pantheon as a b
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
I've never read Andrea Cremer before, and I'm not a particular fan of steampunk, so I was surprised to enjoy this book as much as I did. I'm a sucker for a good cast of characters, and I really enjoyed getting to know this group of allies. Cremer's world-building is also excellent. Despite a few info-dumping sections, she allows readers to decipher her world gradually and organically from the story. And what a fascinating world! Exploring what might have happened if the US lost the Revolutionary ...more
Rebecca
I saw this series on a Penguin list for best slow burning romances. Anyone that ranks with Falling Kingdoms and Bloodlines has to be given a chance. The beginning was somewhat shaky. I don't mind being brought in mid-story, but the recapping and telling of past events was a distraction. Also, the author seemed to constantly tell the reader about events, instead of using dialogue or letting you just experience them.

Once the storyline truly gets underway, I was hooked. Charolette is a strong and
Laurapassage
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[http://laura-passage.com/le-secret-de...]

Rébellion, le premier tome de la saga Le secret de l'inventeur m'a surprise par son univers steampunk riche et détaillé et Andrea Cremer captive son lecteur du début à la fin, mêlant révolte, romance et personnages affirmés.
Rebecca Wash
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! Just wow! This book took me by complete surprise. I'll admit the paperback cover grabbed my attention. Then when I realized it was a historical fantasy\ Steampunk, I knew I had to have it. This is my first book by Andrea Cremer and now I'll be checking them all out.

The story takes place in 1816 in an alternate historical setting. I love this time period and even though it's an alternate setting its still intriguing. Charlotte and a group of rebels live underground hiding from The Empire
Charms
Amy
OMG, Andrea has done it again! I liked NIGHTSHADE, I loved RIFT and RISE, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Inventor's Secret! I started it on the airplane and I read, and read, and read, until I finished it. It was one of those books that I kept telling myself to SLOW DOWN because I wanted it to last longer but I couldn't stop turning the pages. The world-building was flawless, the steampunk aspects were fascinating, the romance was angsty and delicious (MILITARY PILOTS!), and the characters were wel ...more
Francesca
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A good YA book, with lots of imagination and a good romantic tension. I'm looking forward to read the sequel!
Annie
First Look:  I love the premise of this.  British Empire where the American Revolution never took place? It's an interesting concept, and even more so when you throw steampunk into the mix. This was actually one of the very first books I ever marked as "to-read" on Goodreads, even before it had a cover image, but I never got around to reading it until recently.

Setting:
The idea was there, but the execution didn't follow through.  We're told that there's a revolution brewing, but we only see thi
Mimi of the Bibliobibuli
DNF @ 72%
Althea
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, owned-books, favorites
> CHRONIQUE COMPLÈTE <

Le Secret de l'Inventeur est typiquement de ce genre de coup de cœur que l'on voit arriver dès les premiers chapitres. L'univers tout juste effleuré, les personnages principaux rencontrés, le style d'Andrea Cremer découvert, suffisent à révéler le potentiel fantastique de ce récit en quelques pages à peine.

Dans Le Secret de l'Inventeur on découvre une version alternative de l'histoire où l'empire britannique a étouffé la tentative d'indépendance américaine. Dans ce mo
Angela
Hmmm. I was reluctant to start this because of a bad experience reading other books by this author. LOVED LOVED her debut, NIGHTSHADE, but the series went downhill and the last book was awful in my opinion. Read another book in the next series and hated it. This was a book club pick and different from the other books, so I finally gave it a go.

The beginning was actually really amazing. I was thinking that I've got to get the next books on hold so I can continue the story and see what happens. B
pdarnold
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Steampunk Pisces sub? Oh yeah! Flying steampunk dragonfly - even better! Loved the world building and the era setting. The revolution between America and Britain... toss it in favor for the Brits. Yet, we continue to fight. Now, I do realize this is modeled for the YA market, but I guess I am not one who usually goes all gooey for love interest angst, even worse, a love triangle (Jacky Faber aka Bloody Jack aside). Otherwise, I would have given this 4 stars.

Strong female roles along with no smal
C.J. Nestor
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Picked up an ARC for free with a promise of review, so here we go:

I enjoyed it. The plotline is pretty typical YA fare, and if you're genre-conscious at all, you'll see everything coming half a mile away. What really works for it here, though, is the setting. Cremer's history background really comes through in creating a Steampunk America still under British control, and everything from the etiquette to the dress feels authentic. It really brings an air of authority to the entire proceeding.

If y
Nicole
Dec 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
I can't decide if I want to read this. It sounds interesting but what if I read it and then my heart gets broken like in Bloodrose??? I don't want to fall in love with a character and then see them get treated like shit! *sigh* Indecisive about this one.
Lulai
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world is clearly great and strange but in a good way. I really like how the book start with the mystery about the boy but the second part is a lot more about romance and charlotte's feeling, I think we kind of lost the spirit of the story but I will read book two because it was still good
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • Dark Metropolis (Dark Metropolis, #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1)
  • The Tinker King (The Unnaturalists, #2)
  • The Lonesome Young
  • Mystique
  • Cybernetic
  • Mistwalker
  • A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
  • Minders
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • The Friday Society
Andrea Cremer is the author of the internationally bestselling Nightshade series. She spent her childhood daydreaming and roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin.

Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. Before she wrote her first novel, Andrea was a history professor at

The Inventor's Secret (3 books)
  • The Conjurer's Riddle (The Inventor's Secret, #2)
  • The Turncoat's Gambit (The Inventor's Secret, #3)
“Not all weapons are guns or blades; the most dangerous are subtle, hidden.” 4 likes
“We are all prisoners of circumstance at one point or another.” 4 likes