Start by marking “The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)” as Want to Read:
The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)

The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  2,234 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
The bone-chilling story of the "Hotel Ripper" who stalks New York's streets after hours-and the retired cop who must stop him.
Published April 15th 1987 by Berkley (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Deadly Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Deadly Sin

Algernon
My favorite book from Sanders. Read it three times already, since I bought it in second hand bookshop. Serial killers are not usually my cup of tea, but this is something special, more frightening than vampires or werevolves. An ordinary person - the kind that could be living in the apartment next door - developing a taste for murder, her sanity gradually disintegrating, incapable of going back to a normal life, even when given a chance. An ordinary policeman, patiently gathering scraps of evide ...more
Candace
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read the Deadly Sin books when they came out, so of course at the time none of it seemed "dated," as many reviewers have said. These police procedurals are the best of the genre, imo, and are also Sanders' best work. The Third Deadly Sin is my favorite of the series.

Captain Edward X. Delaney, Ret., is a lovable character and ace crime-solver who loves sandwiches and Heineken beer. There are two kinds of sandwiches for Delaney: the kind you can eat over a paper towel at the kitchen table, and
Surreysmum
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1984, mystery
Sherry
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the cover, bought it, started reading and couldn't put it down, loved the characters, from the detective, his secretary and especially the killer. I feel A must read.
David Burke
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of a kind trail-blazing fiction from an age when "Serial Killer" was a new concept in the lexicon of human speech and experience. Creepy. Stay out of hotel bars.
Benjamin Thomas
When a series of gruesome murders take place in New York City’s finest hotels the NYPD’s best efforts to solve the case fall short. There is just no rhyme or reason behind why the “Hotel Ripper” is doing this and seemingly no way to stop it. So they call in the now-retired Chief Edward X. Delaney to assist in the case, knowing his history with achieving the impossible.

I read my first Lawrence Sanders book way back in 1994. It was called The First Deadly Sin and it was something completely new fo
An Odd1
Nov 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Suffering from painful menstrual cramps by day, divorced Zoe Kohler passes as an invisible middle-aged secretary for New York City Hotel Granger security, but by night, in a midnight black long wig, clingy dress, stiletto heels, hiding a lethal Swiss Army knife, she prowls large hotel bars to end lechery of conference attendees. NYPD officer Delaney takes on the serial killer. (Not a spoiler, because Sanders starts with her.)

I'm more for the drawing room puzzles of Christie than explicit ("graph
Dharia Scarab
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it

4 sta
Leif
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a whydunnit. A great part of the Deadly Sin series. I actually felt for the killer in a bizarre way although the killing ofc is far beyond me. Delaney, as though the entire series, is excellent.
David K.
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book

All of the Deadly Sin books never disappoint. Edward X. Delaney at his very best and so are his sandwiches!
Circa
While the second deadly sin in the series felt like a tired counterfeit, this entry to the series returns to the dual, reflective perspectives of the criminal and Delaney that I loved about the First Deadly Sin. Still, I was slightly put off by Delaney's deteriorated role in the investigation and his lack of direct influence in the case. The earlier books followed his painstaking research, routines, file keeping, analysis , reluctant manipulation tactics and questionings and how each tedious ste ...more
L.   (Super Easy. Barely An Inconvenience.)
Zoe Kohler is a Plain Jane by day, serial killer by night, and menstrual cycle. For some reason it's imperative we follow every step of her hygiene routine. What kind of soap she uses. What it smells like. How much it cost. Where she bought it. I DON'T CARE!

On the other side of the law is retired detective Edward X. Delaney. I've not read any other books in the series so I don't know what the X stands for but by God you do not leave it out. Once in a rare instance the character is referred to as
Luis
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maravilloso libro, da un trago de realidad con respecto a los asesinos seriales; hasta la persona más ordinaria e invisible puede ser uno. La omnipotencia y paz que puede sentir la antagonista cuando decide tomar las riendas (clandestinamente) de su vida manipulada y dirigida por terceros al momento de decidir tomar la vida de alguien. La intensificación de la percepción sensorial cuando toma "el regalo" de su victima y la adicción que esto le causa al punto tal de ser imprescindible para su bie ...more
Yohana Arrows
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
¡¡Es impresionante!! La descripción de una mujer que tras tantas heridas y decepciones encuentra en el homicidio su "paz" interior, su adrenalina, algo que es sólo por el momento en que realiza sus aventuras, que como todos sabemos, no se puede mantener una doble vida sin terminar derrumbandose.
Es una descripción psicológica de la mente asesina, y que no siempre son los hombres los que cometen atrocidades, sino que en casos contados, las mujeres también pueden sucumbir en las tinieblas de la me
Shayde Fischer
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, mysterious and suspenseful despite the killer being revealed and killing in various chapters of the books. Difficult to stop reading.

Makes you wonder if the investigators will catch the killer or not.
Anne
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Third Deadly Sin is my favorite in the series. From the well-drawn characters to the active plot, his books never disappoint.
Jodi
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don Mccormick
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
High brow mystery novel(words used). a good read.
Joan
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a highly interesting, and well-written, novel. I thoroughly enjoy Sanders's writing style -- he has great facility with language and a highly effective vocabulary.
Frank
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good thriller that I read back in the 80s.
Iris
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yery readable , still not as good as No 1.
Anna
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I remember liking it in high school. Suspenseful.
Roxane
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read! It was the 'Deadly Sin' books that got me hooked on police procedural's - they are outstanding - quite long but well worth the effort!
Andrea Hickman Walker
I read this many years ago. Seeing it at the cottage when I had nothing to read (prior to the trip to the Simon's Town Library sale, obviously) I decided to reread it and, since I enjoyed the series, to abscond with it. Since I recognised it as being one of Dad's unwanted books that were variously placed at the cottage or used book stores (or my shelves), I felt that would be perfectly acceptable. Besides I don't think anyone else reads the books down there.

Anyway, this book features Edward X De
Jwjohnsen
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Mr. Sanders makes an interesting choice with this detective novel by providing slowly converging plot lines from the very beginning. We know the name and motive of the murderer, and the book is devoted to the detective's slowly approaching her until the book's finale. This helped avoid the annoying provision of an obvious decoy suspect halfway through the book, which so many other mystery/detective authors seem to love.

On the other hand, the book just wasn't that great. The main character, Edwar
Nancy Bandusky
Kathryn Flatt
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one even better than "The First Deadly Sin." Kept going back to re-read favorite passages in the paperback I had until the darned thing went to pieces. Again, Mr. Sanders switches between viewpoints of the killer and the cop, making for pretty good suspense. The book was written (and I read it) decades ago, before personal computers, cell phones, and the Internet, and I find it fascinating to follow the unraveling of a complex crime by persistence, hard work, and the use of intellec ...more
Michelle
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yet another amazing mystery/suspense novel in the Delaney series.

Again, a dated book no DNA, don't know what serial killers are, but I enjoyed it none the less. I like how the main character thinks and figures things out without all the technology we have today.

I would highly recommend this series.
Kathy
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes crime-drama brain candy.
Again, another book I just remembered reading . . . could have sworn it was Sidney Sheldon but a review of his novel plots came up empty. Hello, Google! I typed in a one-line plot summary and up it came. It's pretty much a trashy serial-killer novel, but with a twist any woman with debilitating cramps can understand. I might just have to read it again!
Tina Blackman
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This isn't the sort of book I'd normally read, but i must have read it about half a dozen times. You know from the start who is doing the killings, but I like the way Delaney goes about tracking them down. It's not so much how the killings are carried out, but why. Also, each time I read it, I think I'd like a 'Why Not?' bracelet too!
  • The Trust
  • This Thing of Darkness (Fiona Griffiths, #4)
  • The Night and the Music
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Faller fritt som i en dröm (Fall of the Welfare State, #3)
  • Tumbleweed
  • The Animal Factory
  • Budayeen Nights
  • Tycoon
  • Kiss Them Goodbye (Bayou #3)
  • Scare Me
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • Omega
  • From Death to Morning
  • Missing You, Love Sara
  • The Big Bad City (87th Precinct, #49)
  • A Cold Mind (Stuart Haydon, #1)
  • Envy
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders

Deadly Sins (5 books)
  • The Anderson Tapes (Deadly Sins #1)
  • The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2)
  • The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3)
  • The Fourth Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)