Start by marking “Holly Blues: China Bayles Mystery Series, Book 18” as Want to Read:
Holly Blues: China Bayles Mystery Series, Book 18

Holly Blues: China Bayles Mystery Series, Book 18 (China Bayles #18)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,645 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
pAuthor Susan Wittig Albert turns up the suspense in her China Bayles mystery series. Just as the holiday season begins, so does the drama, when her husband's ex-wife Sally appears begging for help and a place to stay. 'Tis the season of giving, so China opens her home to Sally. But when troubling phone calls start, China knows she'll need to dig up the truth before Christ ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published July 15th 2010 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published April 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Holly Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holly Blues

Maria Alau
I love China Bayles; I really do, but I must admit that Iam getting tired of Ms. Albert's habit of re-hashing of who everyone is and how they're connected. I appreciate that she's not assuming that everyone has read all of the series, but sometimes I wish she would. I would rather see a "who's who" index in the front or back of the book, rather than taking up valuable story space.

However, once beyond that the story continues on with McQuaid's ex, Sally, showing up at Christmas time, and seemingl
Moondance
The Greyhound bus rolled to a stop in front of the Pecan Springs bus depot.

I truly believe that there are few series as good as the China Bayles mysteries. These books suck me in from the start and I often find them difficult to put down. I'm not sure why I have waited so long between some of the later books. Particularly since I have them all in hardcover and most of them are autographed.

The book opens with McQuaid's ex wife, Sally, showing up in Pecan Springs. She approaches China first with h
Heidi Burkhart
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story! Another good multitasking audiobook.
Lain
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
China is at it again, and she's accompanied by the usual cast of characters. Sally, McQuaid's ex-wife and Brian's mother, shows up at China's doorstep with a mystery in hand and secrets hidden in her large duffle. Because it's right before Christmas, China falls for Sally's tale of woe and offers her a place to stay until after the holiday.

China soon is ruing her decision when Sally admits she's being stalked by an ex, and with McQuaid out of town, Ruby and China start investigating.

This book
Elizabeth
Yes, still reading these because they are simple for a busy time! I was even willing to read this one set at Christmas time. I loved learning all the legends and facts about holly--one of my favorite plants. I think what appeals about the writing is that some of it is in first person--the voice of the main character, China, who is the main detective in these. That writing is contrasted with straight narrative--in this book that was mostly about China's husband, McQuaid, who was detecting in anot ...more
Teresa in Ohio
Usually when reading a series, with this many additions it is like catching up with an old friend, not this time. China is quite whiny and preachy throughout the whole book. Characters talking to the reader while telling the story, usually is a fun thing for me. I get information other characters don't have and it adds to the depth of the plot. Instead I get a lecture from China about how bad the economy is and how urban sprawl is hurting the Texas countryside. If I want this I will watch the ne ...more
Morgen
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After "Wormwood" (which I enjoyed, but it was a departure in many ways from the China Bayles series), I really enjoyed getting back to the gang in Pecan Springs and getting involved in a mystery in familiar settings.
China and Ruby are in perfect amateur-sleuth form as they go tracking down the latest mystery, which is a good one.
Won't give away any spoilers, but will say that along with just enjoying the heck out of the main story with China & Ruby, that the reuniting romantically of a coupl
Jean Perry
I was disappointed in this Albert book. She described EVERYTHING, from the kind of treees that lined the lane to their house, to the kind of sodas in the soda machine of the diner. It seemed to be filler. The mystery story was interesting, but i skimmed a lot of it. Some description is helpful to get the scene, but this was way too much.
Sue Jellum
Not her best effort. Nothing new, just seemed like entire pieces were lifted from her other books and assembled to make this one. I really don't care about Ruby's outfit, and I have read the description of Pecan Springs too many times already.
A.M.
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is still going strong! I could have read Holly Blues in one day, it was that compelling, but I want to savor these China Bayles books while I can ...
  • The Teaberry Strangler (A Tea Shop Mystery, #11)
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)
  • State Fair (Benni Harper, #14)
  • Death on the Lizard (Kathryn Ardleigh, #12)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity Down Under (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #15)
  • A Brew to a Kill (Coffeehouse Mystery, #11)
  • Sand Sharks (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #15)
20828
Susan is the author/co-author of biographical/historical fiction, mysteries, and nonfiction.

THE DARLING DAHLIAS AND THE UNLUCKY CLOVER #7 in the Darling Dahlias series, set in the early 1930s in fictional Darling AL (coming March 2018)

QUEEN ANNE'S LACE, #26 in the China Bayles series (coming April 2018)

THE GENERAL'S WOMEN. Kay, Mamie, and Ike--the wartime romance that could have derailed a preside
More about Susan Wittig Albert...

China Bayles (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Thyme of Death (China Bayles, #1)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3)
  • Rosemary Remembered (China Bayles, #4)
  • Rueful Death (China Bayles, #5)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (China Bayles, #6)
  • Chile Death (China Bayles, #7)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
  • Mistletoe Man (China Bayles, #9)
  • Bloodroot (China Bayles, #10)