Start by marking “Other Women” as Want to Read:
Other Women

Other Women

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The novel from bestselling author Lisa Alther—now available as an ebook

Caroline is a giver—as an ER nurse, as devoted lover to her partner, Diane, as a divorced mother of two boys, and as the daughter of world-class do-gooders—but can she accept help from others and still be herself?

When trauma cases in the ER leave Caroline emotionally paralyzed and her relationship w
Published December 14th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published April 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Other Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Women

Christine
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote my Master's thesis on this novel. I loved loved loved it.

Every woman, in any situation, should read it.
Darlene
After reading Original Sin by Lisa Alther and having a hard time liking it in any way, I had a decision to make. You see I got both of these books through Kindle Unlimited which means they were free to borrow. I thought about returning this one, Other Women, and not reading it at all. Thank goodness I didn't. I loved this book!

If you have had a good experience with a counselor, dealing with problems of the past or current ones, this will feel familiar. I think everyone should have a good counsel
Janice
Read this ages ago. Many, many times. If I were to find my copy of it now and see all the underlined passages, all the notes I scribbled, would I cringe? Would I still agree? Would I shake my head fondly at my younger self's naiveté? I do not know, but I'd like to find out sometime. In the meantime, I want to re-read this book. I do know it's one that - for me at least - is still very much an old friend.

Hmm, that tells you very little about the book itself. I loved it. I hope that others who wi
Ruth
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago. In fact, it is one of the handful of books I've read several times. It portrays depression and recovery well. I liked the characters and their interaction.
The Bookish  Gardener
I bought this book second hand a while ago and stored it with my lesbian library.
I think I actually bought the book twice, and I think one was a signed edition, but the type was tiny, so I rehomed it. As I should.
The story was a great one. Full of promise. A psychologist and her patient and it looked into the lives of both. It provided fabulous insight into the working of therapy and I certainly learned a lot from it!
The story however seemed to drag. I understand the metaphor of it takes a life
Rebekkila
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a nice surprise. When I started the book and realized it was about a woman going through therapy I figured I would get 50 pages in and then give it up. I ended up really looking forward to the therapy portions of the story. Odd, because I don't read self-help books and I am on the fence about therapists. The woman seeking therapy is a lesbian and I usually find that lesbians in books are there for the male readers entertainment.

Caroline has had several long-term relationships fizzle and de
Alma
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the shrink. She's one of the most memorable & enjoyable characters I've ever encountered.
Lynne
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It was better in '84 when I first read it, this time I was mostly just frustrated by the main charater's unending angst.
Kristina Moses
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
I decided to give up on the book because I wasn't enjoying it. The two main characters were very similar, especially in their mental states, despite one being the therapist. At times the author would switch between characters in one scene and it was hard to tell who was the one thinking.
Katleen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prachtig boek over de psychologie van alle relaties (kind-ouder, liefdesaffaires, vriendschappen, minaars) die zich afspelen in een mensenleven. Heel herkenbaar,soms confronterend, mooie vergelijkingen en passende toespelingen. Je voelt je bijna zelf even zitten in de zetel bij de psycholoog. Als 'patient' maar ook als de psycholoog. Een boek dat je gelezen moet hebben. Verplichte literatuur voor jong en oud die eens met zichzelf worstelt, iedereen dus!

Een kleine opmerking: in het begin een beet
VagelisGreek
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Καλογραμμένο βιβλίο με δυνατούς χαρακτήρες και σταθερή πλοκή που σου κρατάει το ενδιαφέρον αμείωτο. Πέρα από την απολαυστική γραφή της, η συγγραφέας, σε κάθε σελίδα, δίνει στον αναγνώστη και από ένα απόσταγμα ζωής που μπορεί να τον βοηθήσει να βελτιώσει την καθημερινότητα και την ψυχολογία του. Αυτό το βιβλίο μου έσωσε τη ζωή, το συνιστώ ανεπιφύλακτα.
Rena Searles
I liked this book. The story was about the relationship of a young woman and her therapist. However, I was not pleased with the particular edition I read - a Signet edition - way too many misspelled words, incorrect grammar usage, typos and poor punctuation. I found these flaws very distracting from the enjoyment of the read. I did really appreciate the therapy process and could read this book again, if only for the insight into the human psyche. I related very much to this woman's particular is ...more
Marti
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i read this book because daughter susan told me that the author is the grandmother of her son's friend zachary. i found it at s book sale.
i found it somewhat interesting, but a little confusing in the way that the author uses flashbacks so often. also, the main character is a lesbian, so that was a different lifestyle which was somewhat disturbing. it is certainly about relationships, and how therapy can help a person.
Ruth Marner
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read this book in a very long time. Still, I was reminded of it b/c I read a quotation by Alther the other day. She said something like she was rejected 250 times before she ever got a book published. If you are interested in a perspective on lesbian life from circa 1970s and 1980s, you might want to check out this book. It's well written and entertaining.
Amanda
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this book in the late 80' or maybe early 90's when I was in my 20's now in my 40's I still loved it. Though it is a bit dated I think the story has held up well. Caroline really annoyed me when I was a twenty-something I think I understand her better now but there were still parts when I wanted to strangle her. I hope to re-read some more of this author soon.
Rebecca Hill
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each time I read this book...and the times have been countless...I take away something new that I've learned on how to view a situation or a person. There's so much more here than just words on a page. I've carried this book through many stages of my life and each time I read it, I learn, once again, how to embrace the world and the people in it. This book taught me how to be brave.
Sozie
Jul 20, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Only got a few chapters in. Blech. Couldn't finish. I like books that make me feel my feelings, but this one is a lot about women's feelings that goes really really slowly and...I don't know, I just couldn't take it. This is one of the few books in my life that I've put it down without reading to the end.
El
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I loved this book when I first read it and have loved it each time I've read it since. It traces a depressed woman's route through therapy to finding some sort of peace with herself. I found it very inspiring at the time as well as being a very good read.
Elvan
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much navel gazing for me. At first I enjoyed the whole shrink/patient interplay. I liked the concept of transference and other psycological terms but after a while the whole book just dragged. By the end I didn't really care if Caroline was suicidal or not.
Susan
I remember enjoying Other Women when I read it, but some twenty years later, I haven't the vaguest notion of what it's about. From the last two pages of the book, her success is leaving her therapist. Haven't managed that yet.
Kiyah Thompson
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that came into my life at just the right time. Caroline's issues from identity, attachment, depression... I related to in a major way. It wasn't quite as pitiful and detached as say a Sylvia Plath writing so that was a major plus in my eyes.
Jane
Jun 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some moments of humor and insight, but mostly irritating, dated and too long, with characters it was hard to like. The therapist in particular is not someone I'd ever want to meet, let alone unburden myself to.
Mari-Ann
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeg har lest denne bok på engelsk, mange ganger. Fantastisk historie som tar utgangspunkt i et terapiforhold. Kan anbefale denne på det varmeste.
Ellen
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Lisa Alther is such a wonderful writer. Her descriptions of depression and anxiety and recovery read so true. She really gets it, and she has the talent to make it come alive.
Amy
Loved it. Interesting to read a narrative which includes both sides of a therapist/client relationship. A lot of interesting thoughts about gender relations, relationships, and life as a whole.
Mari-Ann
I have read this book several times. One of my favorites. Can highly recommend it.

I haven't read it in a while. Guess it's time to turn the pages again in this gemstone of a book.

Lise
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Lisa Alther's best, but still worth reading.
Ruth
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
'85 doctor's wife undergoes psychotherapy to discover herself. Obviously the main character was a bit self involved, but I probably wasn't as interested in the character(s) as I should have been.
Anita
Jul 31, 2011
Amanda
Apr 17, 2014
  • Running from Beige (The Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Undrawn
  • Angel Food and Devil Dogs (Maggie Gale Mystery, #1)
  • Hungry Ghost (Tales of the Pack, #2)
  • Dykes and Sundry Other Carbon-Based Life Forms to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #10)
  • Out on the Panhandle (The Adventures of Decky and Charlie, #2)
  • The Sea of Light
  • The Writers' Conference
  • A Woman Ignored (A Woman Lost, #2)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Descent from Xanadu
  • Seeds of War (Eden's Root Trilogy, #2)
  • Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2)
  • Living in Conscious Harmony: A Spiritual Guide to Being in the Now
  • A Witch's Magic (Heart of a Witch, #2)
  • Seven Moves
  • Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder
  • Green River Rising

“I always thought it was a question of achieving some permanent state of tranquillity ... but it's not. It's more like learning to surf. The waves keep rolling in, each different from the last, and you have to ride them, instead of getting pounded to bits.” 4 likes