Start by marking “Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders” as Want to Read:
Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders

Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders

Despite real progress, women remain rare enough in elite positions of power that their presence still evokes a sense of wonder. In Through the Labyrinth, Alice Eagly and Linda Carli examine why women's paths to power remain difficult to traverse. First, Eagly and Carli prove that the glass ceiling is no longer a useful metaphor and offer seven reasons why. They propose the ...more
Published September 17th 2007 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Through the Labyrinth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Labyrinth

Christina Mitchell
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, Mr. Castellanos, this review is for you. I will start off with a great big, "Bite Me!" (Brought to you on behalf of Rachel Maddow and professional U.S. women).

This book is one for a university course, but it sooooo tremendously dispels Mr. Castellanos's arguments towards Rachel Maddow on Meet the Press (see: Huffington Post ), that I HAD to post a review.

On the show, Mr. (Asshole) Castellanos made the argument that women earn less because they work at their profession less hours per week c
Katharine Rudzitis
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’d love to see a revised version. The studies are a little dated now, but a great overview of some of the challenges and areas still changing for women in leadership.
Ashley Deniz
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
A good examination of women leaders around the US today. There were some good facts in here and some areas I had not thought of before.

The biggest downfall for me was the repetition of information, at least once a page you got "as we discussed in chapter X." The last few chapters had no new information but recycled the old information.

One chapter (cannot remember which one) was extremely depressing and made it seem like being a leader as a woman is so hopeless you might as well just give up now.
Jamie
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic resource for anyone interested in multidisciplinary, empirical perspectives regarding women and leadership. The text is easy to read, well-researched (drawing often from the author`s own studies and publications), and all-around interesting! I will not only use this as a resource for informing my own line of research, but also as a personal guide.

It is about time we reconsidered the overly simplistic metaphor often used in this discussion (e.g., a "pipeline" or a "glass cieli
Lobstergirl
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
The glass ceiling is no longer an adequate metaphor. Women can rise to the top of organizations, but there are still plenty of obstacles to navigate around. This book uses the metaphor of a labyrinth to examine the ways in which women aspiring to leadership positions can be stymied, and how women can better navigate the labyrinth. It's an academic yet extremely readable and well organized book. The authors use their own research, data from hundreds of other studies and analyses, and anecdotal ev ...more
Dale Gomez
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for both men and women to read. It is particularly helpful for people in positions who affect personnel advancement. Diverse leadership (not tokenisim) improves performance and the bottom line performance shows it. I for one would love to be able to put my 401 in a stock portfolio that only has companies with a minimum of 25% women on the board of directors, as well as racial diversity.
Vivian Cheung
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
Really eye opening on some of the challenges women face in the workplace. While I appreciated the data-based foundations of the findings, it was a bit dry to read sometimes. Definitely not a sit by the pool kind of book. It took me awhile to get through it. I would have loved to hear more vignettes of successful women leaders. However, overall, it raised some great points and a worthwhile read for men and women.
Courtney
Aug 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was such an annoying book that I couldn't even read it through. Technically, I never really read any of this book, but it was required for a class, so I "skimmed" it. Which even that didn't really happen. The parts I did actually read made me so mad and annoyed that I gave up because it's so dumb. I'm just so glad that I'm done with this book!
Elizabeth Johansen
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: womens-studies
This is the most recent volume of amazing work speaking towards the dearth of women in leadership. It brings together statisical studies addressing both discriminatory attitudes and the burdens of childcare and parenting on a career. It recharacterizes barriers for women in the workplace from a glass ceiling to a labyrinth of small obstacles that all add up over time.
Mandy
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was required reading for a course of mine in business school. It took a look at women in the workplace and how they compare with men in many different areas such as in leadership roles, time management, and the amount of work that gets done. It is well worth reading if you are a woman with a career or if you are a man interested in management.
Gregory Johnson
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding & practical progress from the "old school" Glass Ceiling conversation. Through their work one can develop a plan for progress by realizing some of the primary elements that have kept women and minorities in a career maze.

Great research and consulting resource.
Natalia
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
It was good but nothing revolutionary. I've seen the data elsewhere. It also suffered from some of the same problems as Sandberg's book, though not as much. Also- did no one edit this book? It's incredibly repetitive.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must-read book on leadership and management for women in business.
Carrieg
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-coaching
Fabulous information, but the presentation is a little dull.
Tom Mobley
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Book covers many of the issues that may hold women back. Solid read. Worth my time.

Would love to see what they would do with a second edition.
Ada
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Such a great summary of lots of research on women and leadership. Folks should read this rather than Lean In.
Emily Wilson
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
It felt like common sense with empirical data--which is great--but I was hoping for something more.
Jessica
Haley
Oct 13, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
  • The Breakthrough Company: How Everyday Companies Become Extraordinary Performers
  • Harvard Business Review on Leadership
  • It's Always Personal: Navigating Emotion in the New Workplace
  • Another Kind of Public Education: Race, Schools, the Media, and Democratic Possibilities
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • Unbending Gender
  • Managing Time (HBR 20-Minute Manager Series)
  • 30 Women in Power
  • Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Opting Out?: Why Women Really Quit Careers and Head Home
  • Her Place at the Table: A Woman's Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success
  • The Grounding of Modern Feminism