Start by marking “Riverwatch” as Want to Read:
Riverwatch

Riverwatch

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
When Jake Caruso and his construction team find a hidden tunnel in the cellar of the old Blake mansion in the sleepy hamlet of Harrington Falls, Jake can't wait to explore its depths. There, he finds an even greater mystery: a stone chamber that's been covered up for hundreds of years -- sealed shut by some long-forgotten warden.

When the ancient seal is broken, a reign of
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 16th 2010 by Harbinger Books (first published December 27th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Riverwatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riverwatch

Eric Hinrichsen Jr.
This book deserves three-and-a-half stars, but I gave it four because, well, it was a pretty good read. I got my copy from the Halloween Story Bundle, and this was the first one I read from it.

The tale takes place in a modern day sleepy little city where the worst crimes that happen are usually speeding and drunk driving. An ancient evil awakens and starts ripping people apart, drinking blood and eating their innards. (It's not that bad, the descriptions of those scenes leave it more up to the i
Estelle
Mar 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Gripping first chapters but quickly turned into a bit of a mess.
Diane Stevenson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best horror books I’ve ever read!! Well written with a great story, this hooked me right up to the very end!! Highly recommend this book and this author, if you’re a fan of horror and urban fantasy!!
Carol A Smiley
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rivitting

A must read action from beging to end I would recommend this to any one interested in scarry good books
Eero
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
It is fitting that the main characters play a Dungeons and Dragons type game, because the plotting here has a similar, shall we say modular, quality. Everything is pretty much laid out at the beginning: a winged demon (actually the last member of an ancient and forgotten eeeee-vil race) has been imprisoned in a secret vault, and once stupid humans accidentally release it, it starts killing people at night. The remaining question is how the heroes will be able to stop it.

I must confess that I pre
Carl Alves
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Riverwatch, Jake Caruso and his construction crew, while performing construction on the old Blake mansion, come across a hidden tunnel. This piques Jake's interests, and he feels compelled to explore the tunnel, even beyond what is required as part of the job. They come across a stone chamber that had been covered for centuries. If you've read enough horror novels or watched enough horror movies, you know what comes next. In a tried and true trope, they unleash an ancient creature who begins ...more
Jorgen Schäfer
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In the mystery novel Riverwatch by Joseph Nassise, construction workers find an ancient statue in an abandondened tomb. When they return with the property owner, the statue is gone, and a corpse is in the tomb instead. Soon, others are killed as well.

The narrative starts out well in the style of Lovecraft, but soon switches to describing the evil explicitly, turning the book from a horror novel I might have enjoyed into a mixture of mystery and splatter which is not exactly my kind of genre. And
Elke
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, novels, own, review, b4gr
When a hidden chamber is discovered at a construction site, a centuries old monster is set free. When a series of of gory murders takes place, a small group of ordinary people sets against the bloodthirsty threat.

Although the story does not seem to be very original, I can highly recommend this first novel, because it offers some new ideas and twists (e.g. where did the monster originate).

This book delivers some solid horror. Though we may know what to expect from the story, it never gets boring,
Stephen
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I have to give this book 5 stars. Some reviewers have had complaints. This is earlier Nassise than some of his other works. There are sections that seem to wander, but to me, I LOVED the extra information, foreshadowing, and historical detail that he adds. Not all who wander are lost, and this book definitely isn't lost. I loved it.

This book rewrites early history, plays with the ideas of Elder races, malevolent beings, and their rebirth. An evil entity called Moloch escapes it's prison and
Sara
Apr 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People incapable of complex thoughts
I stopped reading this book. I didn't like it from the first few pages, but I persevered, hoping that it would get better. It didn't. I'm not sure what page number I got to. It might have been around 60. Definitely after 40.

I'm not really into this genre right now which may have been part of the problem. The other issue was the writing style. It was the type of narration that reminded me of stuff kids do in middle school. "He ate a sandwich. He felt sad. He went to sleep." Obviously, that was n
VanHalen
May 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kim
May 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book. I just kept on reading, because I wanted to know if it would get any better.
The story is about an ancient beast that escapes again and wants to kill all humans, so the beast has to be killed. In my opinion there isn't more to the book than that. It was predictable, not original, not that well written (I felt like there was put too much effort in wanting the sentences to look nice) and it took me a long time to finish it, although it isn't that big a book. I wouldn't rec
Leslie
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
It definitely kept me reading, and I had no problem accepting the premise of a predatory winged creature running amok in present-day America, but my suspension of disbelief almost broke down when the "resident skeptic" started blathering about how we have "no explanation" of how structures like the Pyramids and the statues of Easter Island were built. Yes we do. He also named someone I never heard of as the discoverer of ancient Troy. (It was Heinrich Schliemann.)

On the whole, though, it was a p
Robin Edman
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
This is an odd book. The author has the knack of storytelling, but his mechanics aren't very good. This is bad for two reasons. First, it muddles things for the reader. Second, it jars the language-sensitive reader out of the story. I really wanted to give the book a two, but I gave partial credit for the author sounding like a really nice guy.

Also, somehow the kindle edition has randomly inserted words and missing words. This happens a lot. Also jarring.
Emmy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Mostly eerily spooky, it was enjoyable. However, in Chapter 14, there were several mentions of a character named "Hudson" that never made sense and haunted me til the end ...
It was also strange that although there were mentions of some murders, some were the ones we witnessed or knew about, yet others came out of left field. Maybe I expected too much- but the author had built it up to those expectations.
Albert Yates
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, storybundle
the book was a little slow to begin, but once the plot has started to advance once the crypt had been opened I could not find enough time in the day to read this book.

having an ancient creature who once hunted humans for sport running free through modern day America would be a pretty intense but when the only person strong enough to defeat it is on his last legs, he must find a new guardian with enough will to defeat the creature and restore peace to this quiet town.
Solim
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Though parts of the story were cliched I still enjoyed it. I knew how it was going to turn out for the most part but it was still interesting. I liked the whole background of the races that have been fighting for ages. It was like an Angels vs. Demons type of thing.
Angie crosby
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex, horror
Horror book, about the last of a breed of flying 'demons', and the people who find themselves fighting to kill it before it kills more citizens of there city. Good fast paced book, different yet easy to read.
Quite good, would read it again and recommend it.
Orange
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First book I've read from this author and was disappointed by it. It was a very predictable story with very two-dimensional characters. I was surprised by this given the creds this author has.
Chip Underwood
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Good fast paced horror book, I liked it.
Jacqui
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea had promise, but definitely fell short.
Ross
Mar 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
terrible, completely unoriginal
Himmel
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
As explained to me by the author himself this was his freshman novel. I enjoyed it. Glad to have picked it up. Pleased to place it next to his other works on my bookshelf.
Craig Nicol
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Of you like your horror Gothic and full of cliches, jump right in. Was a struggle to finish at times.
Violet
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So-so. It started well and was interesting in bits and parts. I'd have liked to read more about the Sebastian Blake angle. The writing was wobbly and amateurish.
Roberto
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like "It" without the scares, the kids and the fun, but with extra silly mythology.
William Bitner Jr.
This is the second book by Joseph Nassise that I read in the last couple of weeks. The first was very good, this one was beyond good....I loved it and will continue to read this author.
Steven
  • A Latent Dark
  • The Drought
  • Resurrection, Inc.
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1-2)
  • Disciple (Part I)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • The Marinara Murders
  • Dire Means
  • Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge
  • The Camelot Papers
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1)
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • The Select
  • Killing Is Harmless: A Critical Reading of Spec Ops: The Line
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • John Gone (The Diaspora Trilogy, #1)
Joseph Nassise is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than a twenty-five novels, including the Templar Chronicles series, the Jeremiah Hunt trilogy, and the Great Undead War series. He has also written several books in the Rogue Angel action/adventure series from Gold Eagle. He is a former president of the Horror Writers Association, the world's largest organization of prof ...more