Start by marking “Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions” as Want to Read:
Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions

Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The wisdom and artistry of Latin America's storytellers preserve one of the world's richest folktale traditions—combining the lore of medieval Europe, the ancient Near East, and pre-Columbian America. Among the essential characters are the quiet man's wife who knew the Devil's secrets, the three daughters who robbed their father's grave, and the wife in disguise who marrie ...more
Paperback, Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library, 400 pages
Published September 9th 2003 by Pantheon (first published December 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Latin American Folktales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latin American Folktales

First Second Books
One of the stories in this book featured a king who told his wife, “I’d know you even if you’d been turned into corn soup.” This resulted in some confusion from the reading audience (ie, me). I have known (and eaten) many corn soups in my life, but none of them has had even vaguely humanoid qualities – at least, that I could recognize. Therefore, I issue this warning to friends, family, and acquaintances: if you are turned into corn soup, don’t count on me to figure it out.
Stephen
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Spanish edition is definitely worth getting. The stories are obviously more vibrant in the original language -- and many are written down here in the criollo dialect. A great way for Spanish-language students to get used to "folk speech," since the language is still fairly simple.

These tales weren't creatures of the page. They were meant to be listened to. And the Spanish edition preserves a lot of that old "music."

Especially enjoyed the tales from northern New Mexico, where you'll see archa
Allison
For a relatively small book, this is chock-full of short folktales. There are two time periods represented, la epoca virreinal, and the 20th century, and the introduction explains the large gap between the periods and the noticeable changes in themes and styles between the two. Both the name of the storyteller and region (country, culture, etc) are noted when available. The indices are also quite helpful, with a notes section, glossary, and a directory dividing the stories by genre and themes.
Tiffany
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tiffany by: Seizure Romero
This is a decent compilation of folktales from Latin America, but most of them are REALLY short. That can be a good thing or a bad thing -- it makes them easy to read, but sometimes I found myself in a pattern of just reading as fast as I could because they were so quick. There wasn't enough time to really dig into them.

One interesting thing was comparing these stories to other folk-/fairytales I've read. There were a LOT of stories that were similar to ones in 1001 Arabian Nights (or whatever
Steph
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Ahh, the perils of e-reading. Wish I'd read the notes simultaneously, they are super informative and I found myself wishing for more context as I made my way through the stories without their benefit.
Andrew
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good, colorful stories. You can't beat fairy tales and short stories for a good read, and it has a good Latin American flavor.
Laurie
  • Afro-American Folktales
  • Folktales from India
  • Swedish Folktales and Legends
  • Japanese Tales
  • Northern Tales: Stories from the Native Peoples of the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies