Start by marking “Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers” as Want to Read:

A tale of heroism and adventure-a memoir about Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, a highly respected Band of Brothers soldier.

When he was a boy growing up in the remote mining town of Clinchco, Virginia, Shifty Powers's goal was to become the best rifle shot he could be. His father trained him to listen to the woods, to "see" without his eyes. Little did Shifty know his
Published May 3rd 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Shifty's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shifty's War

Start your review of Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
Shannon
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jon Swart
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Shifty Powers, who was a member of "the Band of Brothers". If you haven't read the book, and only have seen the mini-series, he was the sharpshooter of Easy Company. This book is really interesting in that it gives a single perspective on the events chronicled in both Ambrose's book and the mini-series but also gives the before and after the war life of Shifty. The author takes a bit of a twist in that he writes it as if Shifty is writing the book, which I thought was a ...more
Doug Dams
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
An easy book to read. The author made it feel like you were talking to Shifty Powers and listening to his stories. The viewpoint of Shifty differed a bit from the Band of Brothers mini-series in that he discussed how the "Bad" memories from his time overseas affected him, even during the war especially at Bastogne. From this you can understand why many WWII vets don't talk about their life in combat. And it was nice to learn how Shifty affected people after the war, helping out in his home town ...more
Charlie
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shifty was with Easy Company - 'Band of Brothers.' This will give you an idea right off the bat on how this book goes. The author, Marcus, does a pretty good job in putting this story together. Marcus never met face to face with Darrell "Shifty" Powers. He did have some phone interviews with him. Most of the story comes from his 'buddies, hometown friends and his family.
The story is worth the read. I enjoyed it because I felt he was Telling his own story. His story is told in the trenches.
Scott Jenkins
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was great. It gives realistic view of the triumphs and tribulations of a man gone to war and the people who went with him. The war for him was over, he went home to live and start a life outside the military and the struggle to live a life after war.
Mitzi
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With my mother being born in Clinchco, VA I had to read this biography of Shifty Powers. It was well written and I related to the book perhaps because I was born in the mountains of this small town. A true story of life, war, love of family, love of home, love of friendship.
Louis Barbier
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shifty’s War by Marcus Brotherton is a great book about a man of character, determination, integrity who served in Easy Company of the 506th PIR - 101st Airborne (The Screaming Eagles). The man a quiet man was Sgt Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the legendary sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers. Shifty has described himself as a mountain man and hillbilly. He never aspired for greatness as the world defines it but in his own quiet way he was a capable leader who lead twelve other men and got the job ...more
Stan Skrabut
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
If you have watched the Band of Brothers series, you may remember Sergeant Darrell “Shifty” Powers, the marksman of Easy Company. He was seen in all ten episodes because he was one of the original Toccoa men who was never wounded in combat. If you heard him speak on the series, you will appreciate Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers because you can actually hear him talking as you read his words. Read ...more
Brook
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-history
Shifty was in 3rd platoon, which is mentioned less than other platoons. He is a sharp shooter in Easy Company, and one of the few who miraculously didn’t get hurt during wartime. That’s we learned from Band of Brothers book or TV series. Band of Brothers book tells a general story of Easy Company, while here we focus on Shifty Powers. Written in first person, this book covers almost the entire life of Shifty Powers, ranging from childhood to elderly life. Here we can find why Shifty is good at ...more
Ralph
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read, different perspective on the experiences of this amazing group of WWII veterans. Powers insights and point of view are interesting and insightful. I enjoyed other books by Brotherton and his dedication to telling the real stories of the veterans is obvious. Having read a lot of books on the band of brothers, Screaming Eagles and WWII, I consider this one of the better ones. If you liked this genre, I would recommend Don Burgett Currahee!
Pei-jean Lu
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
Boy, was I ready to bawl when I finished this book! I do not know what it is about Easy Company that I love so much, but I cry just about every time I finish a book about one of the members or the whole company.

I was a little wary, because after I got this book I found out it wasn't actually written by Shifty, but by Marcus Brotherton, in Shifty's voice. I'm always cautious about books like this, and can you blame me?

After the first few chapters though, I began to relax and realize that this
Eric Olsen
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is a little unusual in it's format. Instead of writing in past tense as you might expect from a book written after someones death, it's written in the first person. It's as if you are listening to Shifty himself. For this book and this story it works great. When I was reading it I felt as if I was either listening to or reading about Shifty's life as he told it. This is what the author wanted to accomplish and in my opinion he succeeded at it.
David Chabot
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another awesome biography of a member of the legendary Band of Brothers. I liked that about a third of the book was devoted to his life after the war, as many such books give the impression the soldier's life ends when he fired his last shot. I was unsure about it to begin with, but the fact it's written in the first person is also a nice touch. A highly recommended read for WW2 enthusiasts and neophytes alike!
Clive phillips
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

This is the story of an uncomplicated man thrown into the turmoil of WWII but he takes it all in his stride. It's impossible to dislike him in any way. The writer takes you there right to the end. Sadly men such as shifty seem thin on the ground these days. Highly recommended.
Todd Schwartz
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. It was if I was sitting down talking with Shifty. Having watched Band of Brothers numerous times and seen Shifty speak, Marcus Brotherton brought him to life in this book. If you are a fan of Easy Company or a military history buff like me, once you start reading it will be hard to put the book down.
Abby Jones
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful. I'm so glad I finally got to read it. I cried through so much of it, pulled out some great things for writing future battle scenes more realistically, and felt like a good friend was dying at the end. I'm thankful for this man and his story. It's right up there with Malarkey's book and Wild Bill and Babe's. A must read for the Band of Brothers fan.
Gail Hedlund
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I've read nearly all the books on Easy Company. This one was refreshing in the way it was told, I felt like I was visiting with Shifty on his beloved porch in Clinchco, VA. It was like talking to a grandpa or a great-uncle, very sincere & heart-felt.
Nic
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written book about a true American hero. The author's decision to write the posthumous biography from Shifty's POV was an excellent choice that allows readers to hear Shifty's voice. The book reads as if Shifty himself is sitting there telling the reader his story.
Brooks
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of the band of brothers series you must read this book.
Joan Clemente
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shifty Powers seems to me to have been a sweet person and a gentle soul. The story of his life was interesting. I think I "fell in love" with this man.
Darren Sapp
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brotherton has done a masterful job in capturing the voice of this hero. I felt like I was on the back porch with Shifty.
Jade
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved that the entire novel was really a letter, in a way. There’s a mystery at the center so I can’t say too much more. But this YA book was short and sweet. I really liked it.
Jean-Vincent
Brotherton's book took me by surprise. It has moved me in unexpected ways. For a first, it is one of the few books that told about a man's war long after its been fought. The way the book is written, too, is somewhat intriguing: Brotherton managed, through the use of various source and recordings, to credibly speak in lieu of Powers, using the I, and it is entirely believable.

I'm rating this book a 5 stars not because of some incredible writing, but because it feels like peeking into the soul
Richard
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like how this book was written in first person even though it was a biography. This point of view allowed me to get a clearer image of the stories that were being told of Shifty and his time in the war. Unlike other biographies, it is very easy to read and understand. It is not full of boring drawn out facts on Shifty, on the contrary, it is as if Shifty is telling the story himself with context like “I thought the battle for Carentan was on again and sprinted down the rickety steps.” ...more
Sandy Anderson
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, although it didn't provide as much information about his time in combat during WWII as I expected. Instead I got a rundown of the man's life, but it was written in such a way that you felt like you were sitting on your grandpa's porch and he was telling you stories.

I have seen numerous interviews with Mr. Powers and I think that Marcus Brotherton really did a good job of getting down his speech patterns and dialect. This was written after Shifty's death based upon
Michael L Gowens
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a wholesome and heartwarming story! "A nation without heroes is nothing," the Roberto Clemente quote near the book's end, both captures my sensation as I read this volume and expresses the reason "Shifty's War," as well as other stories in the same genre, is so important to the virtues of patriotism, self-sacrifice, humility, and the preservation of liberty. In a culture that increasingly celebrates its celebrities, the story of real-life heroes, like Sgt Powers, provides a needed exception ...more
Becca Evans
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was not actually written by Shifty himself even though it is in first person. The introduction actually states while it was written in first person even though it was published after he had already died in 2009. But to me it didn't much matter. It was a good book. Shifty was a strong, brave man. He fought his for his country and saw more than any 21-year-old should see, and all he wanted was a live a quiet life. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in learning more about ...more
Mike
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I enjoy reading about the regular guy who is put in extraordinary situations, and how he responds. Shifty's War fits well into this category. If you are a fan of the 'Band of Brothers' mini series, or the book, you will enjoy this very much. Marcus Brotherton does a great job in sharing what brought Mr. Powers to the defining period of his life, and how that affected him from that point on.
I found the book very interesting, and it made me proud to live in a country which produces people of
Bruce
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wwii-europe
I've read almost every book associated with the BOB. The fact that this book was written in the first person AFTER Shifty died is a noble but empty attempt on the author's part. I could not get a feeling that this is how Shifty would have actually written it. In fact there are many known BOB facts that are weaved into the story that we really have no idea if Shifty actually witnessed or how he actually would have described them. Sadly, I could not finish reading this book much past the events of ...more

• Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters
  • Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"
  • Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends
  • Call of Duty: My Life Before, During and After the Band of Brothers
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Battle for the Normandy Beaches
  • Spearhead: An American Tank Gunner, His Enemy, and a Collision of Lives In World War II
  • A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II
  • The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platoon
  • Dog Company: The Boys of Pointe Du Hoc--The Rangers Who Accomplished D-Day's Toughest Mission and Led the Way Across Europe
  • Color Tour (Ray Elkins Mystery #2)
  • Deer Season
  • Flyboys: A True Story of Courage
  • Conversations with Major Dick Winters: Life Lessons from the Commander of the Band of Brothers
  • Les lieux de pouvoir au Québec
  • Léo Major, un héros résilient: L'homme qui libéra une ville à lui seul
Marcus Brotherton is a New York Times bestselling author and collaborative writer known for his books with high-profile public figures, humanitarians, inspirational leaders, and military personnel.

His books include the widely-acclaimed Shifty’s War, We Who Are Alive & Remain, A Company of Heroes, and Feast for Thieves.

Coauthored and collaborative works include books with the elite WWII
“By my twenty-second birthday, you know, I had killed eight men. Eight that I was certain of, eight that I could plainly count. That information was stuffed deep within my gut, and if anyone ever asked if I killed someone during the war, particularly if a child ever asked, I vowed I’d shake my head no, that information was never coming out."--SHIFTY'S WAR” 4 likes
“For us in Easy Company, a new hope stirred. It wasn’t a carefree hope, one that fills a man with energy. But an undeclared hope that drives a man to caution. It’s when you sense you might actually come through this thing alive.” 0 likes