Start by marking “The Undivided (Rift Runners, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Undivided (Rift Runners, #1)

The Undivided

(Rift Runners #1)

From one of Voyager's bestselling authors comes an outstanding new epic fantasy trilogy ... taking us through the Rift where the Druids survived the Roman invasion of Britain to become the most powerful magical force on Earth ...

the Undivided are divided. the psychic twins Rónán and Darragh have been separated by a traitor Druid, Amergin, who has thrown Rónán through a rif
Published March 1st 2011 by HarperVoyager (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Undivided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Undivided

Anu
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Undivided is the first book in a new series called "Riftrunners" by one of my favorite authors, Jennifer Fallon. And, true to form, this book does not dissappoint. Far from it, in fact! This book follows the lives of a pair of psychically connected twins, born in an alternate reality where the Romans were beaten back from their conquering rampage of Britain, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. How they were beaten back forms the foundations of this alternate reality.

The Sidhe (and for once, there
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-sff-bingo
My first thought upon finishing this was "Wait what? Is that it?" The story just stopped. I would even go so far as to say it's the dreaded....CLIFFHANGER. Consider this your warning, which I wish I'd had before starting this.
That said, I did find this a very enjoyable read. Although the "portal to another universe" is horribly cliched, this one did quite well with that, with the differences between the worlds being due to different historical choices - the effects were well explained and logica
Dot
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sff, kobo, lduh, magic
If I can sum this up in one word? Disappointing.

The book is semi-rooted in the myth of the Tuatha De Danaan and the druids. Semi- in that it doesn't actually give the full myth but works on the idea that the Romans had never conquered the world so everybody is still kicking it in Ireland and the Tuatha have given the druids access to magic via a treaty involving psychically linked twin boys, one of whom is missing. Unfortunately, it's just not that interesting.

In large, this is because it's at t
Yuan
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For more reviews, visit my blog Obsessive Compulsive Reader

Actual rating: 4.5/5

In recent weeks, it feels like I have not stopped talking about Jennifer Fallon. Of course, she is one of my favourite authors and when I stumbled across this trilogy in the library, I was super excited and grabbed them at once. They are quite thick volumes, each numbering over 500 pages, but once I started, I simply had to keep going. I finished all three books in succession over the span of roughly 48 hours.

Jennif
Eunice
3.5
I enjoyed this a bit too much, partly because of the sci-fi/fantasy, and also because it was set in a sort-of quasi-Ancient-Ireland (or rather, Ireland sans the Roman Invasion). It was entertaining, but kind of artificial, when her characters spoke Gaelic, but she'd (obviously) have to write it in English for her readers, but then she'd add a Gaelic word or two into the sentence, even when there were English equivalents - but hey, it meant I learnt a few new words.

It wasn't very in-depth, or
Sonia
Sep 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I hate it when fantasy authors merge the real, modern world with fantasy worlds in their book. It stops you from being able to get into their book because you can't quiet that "that's so unreal!" sense. The plot and characterisation in this book were simply awful and it seemed like Jennifer (whose work I ordinarily LOVE) just wanted to tie all this Gaelic mythology and Gaelic names into a book and forgot that about the plot.
Mind you, the Ancient Future by Traci Harding managed to merge the real
Candace
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I am only giving this book 3 stars because I finished it. I tried really hard to like it because I LOVED Jennifer's Tide Lords series. Unfortunately nothing in this book grabbed me at all. I kept on hoping for something interesting, and to like the characters but I never did. I feel like this series is aimed at twilight fans/teenagers. Maybe I have read too many stories about the fae, but I will definitely not be reading the next book in this series. Disappointing!
Maeglothorn Silverweb
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gosh dang I'm loving reading this book. I love when I read it but when I put it down I've got the story in my head and the urge to go back and keep reading. I'm usually a really slow reader and I'm already a 1/3 of the way through in the last 2 days.
Damali
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
That was a disturbing turn of events. I'm glad the series is finished, and I can proceed to book 2.
Lissy Chapman
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gentleman in the local library recommended this book and I’m glad he did. I read across most genres but a fantasy has to be very good to hold my attention. Unidivided is the first instalment of the riftrunners series. It took about 40 pages to really get my attention and then I found it hard to put down. A great read, now onto number two The Dark Divide 😉
Els (Tragic Romantic)
It's possibly a 3.5 because I did really enjoy this one, although it was a bit meandering at times.
Kendra Ashcraft
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad for a fantasy novel. However, be prepared for many typos and formatting errors. Interesting plot and ending concerning magic and alternate realities, enough to get me to start the sequel.
Delrine Billings
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the story but hate when authors leave you hanging. I refuse to be blackmailed into purchasing book 2 only to find it doesn't end either.
Ross
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, book, enjoyed the characters and story throughout. Very
Good story 4/5
Jennavier
I'm here to announce that I was the lucky duck this month. I know, you're all jealous. Jennifer Fallon (or JJ Fallon) was a favorite author of mine as a teen. Due to her publishing in Australia and me reading in the US and all the crazy production schedules I lost track of her. So when I found out that there was review copies of The Undivided to be had I camped out in the e-queue and held out. I got one. Huzzah! So obviously this is a copy provided by the publisher for an honest review. Definite ...more
Ronni
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This got better the further I got into it.
Shaheen
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Fallon's newest series follows psychically connected twins Darragh and Rónán who were separated as children and live in different realities: Darragh in an alternate reality where the Boadicea signed a magical treaty with the Sidhe and defeated the Romans, and Rónán (Ren) in our world where the Romans won. Fallon is able to examine a host of interesting issues by placing her two protagonists in such different worlds and weaves many complex story lines into a seamless whole.

In Darragh's w
Carlie Hamilton
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
Review originally posted at GoddessCarlie.com

There are no spoilers in this review, although I mention my impression of the ending (without saying what the ending is). Over all I thought this book was very readable, however I could not love it 100%, mainly because it felt like it was aiming at a younger audience than myself.

I give it three stars.

The Blurb

This is the first book in Jennifer Fallon's series The Rift Runners.
An exciting contemporary fantasy, spanning different realities and alternate
Sharnie
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: See Review
Recommended to Sharnie by: I saw Jennifer Fallon at a convention when this book was new out.
In an alternate pagan Ireland, fairies and magic play an integral role in the life of the people. Humans can wield magic due to a deal with the fairies through twins with a psychic link called the Undivided. However the current Undivided Rónán and Darragh were divided years ago when a traitor threw one of the twins Rónán through a rift into another world. Now the people are tiring of the divided, hoping to replace them which means death for both of the twins.

In our Ireland, Ren Kavanagh has bee
Shari  Mulluane
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
How do you fairly review a book you did not like when the reason is not based on the quality of writing, characterization, worldbuilding or plot? No, the reason why I did not like the book is simple. I do not like mixing our world with alternate worlds. I read to escape this world, I do not like visiting it in my fantasy reads.

So was there anything I did like? Well, actually, yes. I loved everything that had to do with the alternate reality. The worldbuilding was exceptional. I loved the politi
Matt Larkin
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
A number of years ago I grabbed a hardcover Wolfblade from a bargain bin in Borders. I didn't know of the author, but for $3 I was willing to give it a shot. Once I finally got around to reading it, I think I read the book in two sittings. Jennifer Fallon became one of my favorite authors and I began collecting her other works. Since she was published in Australia, not all of them were originally available in the Kindle US store. For a while I'd been hearing about this series, the Rift Runners, ...more
Swiftsea
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
It only took 5 hours for me to finish this book. Fast-paced, addictive, particularly due to Jennifer Fallon's classical witty dialogue. It was not hard to get a grasp of what the story was on about. However, I have an unfortunate inkling that this story will fall short of my expectations of it, as the Demon Child Trilogy and the Tide Lords series did.

It is not easy to put Jennifer Fallon books down once you have started reading it but if you do manage to do so, it is relatively easy to forget.
Danielle
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had been looking at this book on my shelf for ages. It was mainly the cover that attracted me (yes I judge books by their covers....i'm not afraid to admit it), but the storyline sounded interesting, although it seems to have mixed reviews.

I agree with a previous comment made - that the themes seemed more suited towards young adults, but I still really enjoyed reading this book. Sometimes it's nice to have a break from heavy-going stories.

The only thing I found annoying at first was all the
Gerard
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The overall feel of the story is geared more towards young adults, however I did really enjoy it.
The story takes place in an area where the people would speak Gaelic and the author reflected this by using Gaelic words here and there in the characters sentences. Honestly this was a minor peeve of me because the sentences would otherwise be in perfect business english and then a random word thrown in. Points for effort but the execution was a bit off in my opinion, I would have preferred to see t
Michelle Smith
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A rollicking romp through different realms and different genres - fun! Hmm... maybe not rollicking. Anyway. Jennifer Fallon creates interesting characters, and I was really able to distinguish the brothers easily. There's quite a cast, but difference amongst them, things that make them stand out from one another. I found myself growing to like it more and more as I went along. A plus is the integration of the Gaelic - it fits really well. Having not read much from this genre, I am looking forwar ...more
Jenny Delandro
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Two identical brother seperated at age 3 but psychically linked

their upbringing is vastly different

they are separated by different dimensions -

there are people popping into a dimension like our world and falling in love - we have a girl Harley who has always been there for Ren and she is thrust into the dimension with Darragh

Interesting storyline but very slow ... bordering on boring - I am guilty of skipping - :( sorry

and this is the first in a series
I think I will try to read it again when t
Nailil
As a huge fan of Jennifer Fallon, this book is very disappointing. The political intrigue is interesting but characterization is just too YA for me. And the plot is too simple! Find the missing twin and bring him home. That's it. Then why does it have 500 pages? Fillers. Dull fillers. It feels like a very long prologue full of introductions to the characters and the alternate world.
I might read the next installment f the mood strikes me, but definitely not now.
Graham
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've now read most of Fallon's novels, and am so jealous of how a local author can write such a gripping and well-paced action fantasy story. Although some of her characters begin a little flat, as the narrative builds, so too does the characters' dimensionality - even though their motivation is a little unclear at times.
A ripping good yarn that kept me coming back and wanting to read more of the story.
Book 2, here I come…
Amanda Botten
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Fallon is an amazing writter. I have read two of her series and she never disappoints and thi sbook is no exception. The worlds she has created in this book have been masterfully created, the characters are lively and real, even the non-human characters make you believe they walk and talk. The plot is excellent, filled with everything we are used to from Jennifer Fallon. I eagerly wait for the rest of the series to be published.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
North America 3 15 May 25, 2013 02:48PM
  • The Scrivener's Tale
  • Gene Of Isis (Mystique Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • Black Sun Light My Way (Children of the Black Sun, #2)
  • The Tainted (Isles of Glory, #3)
  • Community Service (Broken Mirrors, #3)
  • Waer
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat

Rift Runners (3 books)
  • The Dark Divide (Rift Runners, #2)
  • Reunion (Rift Runners, #3)