Start by marking “The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era” as Want to Read:
The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era

The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era

This book is a must read for any copywriter and anyone looking to understand the new realities of the brand creativity business.
A memorable slogan has been the cornerstone of every great ad campaign. In the past, writing one great headline could launch a career. But today's advertising campaigns are interactive, multi-platform and ongoing, and the copywriter's canvas is
Published December 7th 2010 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Idea Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Idea Writers

Start your review of The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era
Katrina
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book goes far beyond copywriting. I'd argue it's an important read for anyone in the marketing industry, whether agency- or client-side, who is excited by the changes and opportunities in modern marketing. Teressa's voice keeps things engaging and genuine throughout, and the way that she calls bullshit on the platitudes that so many agencies spout is refreshing. I found myself madly highlighting everything from well-researched facts, examples and case studies to tips like the following gem: ...more
Frank O'Mahony
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
A bit more of a how-to manual than I expected, but contains some great copy ideas and examples of how writers can make themselves central to integrated marketing campaigns.
Connor Raus
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
It doesn't say "Copywriter" on my business card but I write copy everyday, primarily for new media. While this book doesn't provide any traditional "how-to," the campaigns that were highlighted and dissected immediately made me think differently about the projects I was working on and more importantly it has helped me communicate better with my team and clients to expand their thinking. The author recommends other books in the notes section many of which I've read or own which has lead me to ...more
Desmond LaVelle
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Five stars might be a bit steep, it's not A Farewell to Arms, but I gave it such a high rating because it's necessary reading for anybody who is a creative in advertising - young or old, writer, art director or otherwise.
Matěj Bregant
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I was looking for a well-written and introductory text about copywriting and this kinda fits the bill. I guess you'd like it a bit more if you are into the history of ads and the adworld itself.
Forevermorro
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't help me at all.
Serena
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: copywriting
Surprisingly uplifting
1.1
I only kind of liked it until the part where modern campaigns (2010's modern - Old Spice Guy, etc) were examined and then discussed by the people who created and executed them. They make up for anything lackluster in the first half, and I say lackluster because at the outset I was not very enthusiastic about finishing this book. I was trudging through it until the fourth chapter and still begrudgingly reading for a while before getting into it. Iezzi is a digital evangelical so be prepared for ...more
Rolando
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una de las cosas que me llamó más la atención hacia este libro, fue su autora. Teresa Iezzi, editora de Co.Create y previa editora de "Creativity" en Advertising Age.
Definitivamente alguien a quien leer.
Su descripción de la escena actual de la profesión de copywriters, o "idea writers" te lleva desde ciertos elementos históricos en décadas pasadas, pero sólo para llegar al punto donde las cosas cambiaron y sobre cómo las agencias han llegado a adoptar temas digitales con perspectivas
Darren
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Contrary to its name, reading this book will not improve your craft as a writer. It will not teach you things like strategy, concept or how to find an insight. It will not land you any lions or transform you into a creative hotshot. Instead, it offers many fascinating insights into the digital medium, along with countless interviews by many of the industry's leading veterans. You will be exposed to award-winning campaigns and you will get to learn the thought process behind them, straight from ...more
Tom Burke
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found the title attractive enough. It sounded like Mad Men circa 2012. And it largely was. But after a hundred pages or so it all began to sound the same. I hate to say this since I have spent a good part of my life engrossed in it, but advertising is boring. And this is a book about how that advertising is created.

Now if you have never indulged, then this might be a good read. But if you have read this type of book in the past, you might get a sense of deja vu. I know I did.

Try Jonah
Crysta
Jul 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This was assigned reading for a class, but it was worth the read. It's a bit rudimentary at times, and sometimes repetitive, but I think it points to important shifts in the media and advertising agency. I think a lot of these shifts are relatively obvious for those of us on the younger end of the spectrum - it's just the way it is - but knowing the history is very enlightening and helpful. I've since recommended it to a couple friends working in ad agencies who are facing this challenge ...more
Dave
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I work in marketing as part of a creative team, and this is just one of those books that I found myself underlining something on every other page. Great practical use of examples from real creative campaign challenges, and one of the first books I've read that is recent enough to understand the power of new social and viral tools for messaging. Also a great read for anyone interested in behind-the-scenes stories of the creation of landmark new media campaigns like the BK "subservient chicken" or ...more
Sergey
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
un libro que todos los interesados en la industria creativa deberían leer, abre el panorama de la nueva realidad publicitaria, la revolución digital los nuevos medios, ademas de las historias detrás de algunas de la campañas más innovadoras y creativas de los últimos tiempos. y es que la buena publicidad siempre esa contra una historia, lo que cambio es que ahora esa historia puede estar en cualquier lugar o plataforma.
Elizabeth Terrall
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't have a lot of practical application for how or what to write in marketing, but it has extensive details on both the history and theories, old and emerging, of marketing. The examples of marketing campaigns are very informational and inspirational. I highly recommend this book to anyone in the writing aspect or in marketing itself.
Rick
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Super great introduction to what it means to be a "copywriter" in modern advertising, and a nice survey of the history of advertising. Should be required reading for anyone considering getting into the biz. Swears a little bit, which is nice. Has some good trivia from the past greats that I did not know.
Anna Rose
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Although this book has copywriting in the name, it focuses mostly on writing for advertising. Some parts of this book were extremely interesting and helpful. Other parts did not interest me or were a bit too coarse. Overall, it was very helpful for those interested in advertising or commercial writing.
Emily Radcliffe
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very helpful for understanding how to be a copywriter, and some key points about advertising in general. If you are looking for a book that explains advertising, specifically copywriting, this is a good start.
Rebbie Brassfield
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Made me excited and grateful and raging jealous. Excited to be a copywriter when there is so much opportunity, grateful we get to hang out with ad people (iezzi and those she quotes are witty and straightforward) and jealous of the brilliance that writers are capable of producing.
Pat Pujolas
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
An essential for anyone in advertising these days, especially copywriters. Though it lacks the wit of Luke Sullivan's "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This," it nevertheless explains how copywriting/advertising has evolved in the past ten years, including many great examples.
Raneshia
Assigned reading. Didn't actually read the whole thing, but from what I did read, it was insightful and interesting.
Justin Lake
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this when I first started portfolio school. I thought it was very enlightening for anyone looking to start a career in advertising. Not thrilling but insightful.
Robyn
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So good! Lots of good ideas to get you thinking and writing. Perfect for my career field.
Tomas Ramanauskas
Tight review of what is happening with copywriting now (although it's been published 5 yrs ago) and some neat shortcuts for creatives at work.
Matthew L.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In order to survive in the consumer control era, you have to think in terms of relationships, and not simply a megaphone (tv, print). Encourage conversations. Think outside the box.
Martin Bihl
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
(to read my review, please visit http://the-agency-review.com/idea-wri...)
Kelsey
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing

5 stars not because it is mind blowing but
necessary for creatives.
Pat Doyle
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New age writing, man. I dig. Teressa gets a lot right in this book.
Sunoak Cheong
디지털 시대에 마케터로서 갖추어야할 역량과 조직에 대한 영감 제공
Cari
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Riddled with typos, ironically, but a really great and thorough book.

• Monna Rosa
  • High Growth Handbook
  • The Fourth Industrial Revolution
  • Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant
  • An Orchestra of Minorities
  • The Art of the Click: How to Harness the Power of Direct-Response Copywriting and Make More Sales
  • The New Me