Start by marking “The Proud Wife” as Want to Read:
The Proud Wife

The Proud Wife

Her husband wants her back!

Marina thought her dreams had come true when her husband placed a wedding band on her finger. But their marriage was not the fairytale she’d hoped for, and eventually Marina walked away, her heart broken. But two years on Pietro D’Inzeo no longer haunts Marina’s dreams. She knows the time has come to move on, and even a summons to join him in Si
Paperback, Mills & Boon Modern Romance #1061, 192 pages
Published March 2011 by Mills & Boon

To ask other readers questions about The Proud Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Proud Wife

StMargarets
Well done second chance story that takes a deep dive into the H/h’s short marriage that ended when the heroine miscarried and the H/h could no longer communicate through their pain. It’s been done before, but this story is original in how focused it is. The bulk of the action takes place in one day – the day the hero demands the heroine fly to Sicily on his private jet to sign divorce papers.

They meet for the first time in two years at the hero’s office, but the day is still young as the hero “k
Debbie DiFiore
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
2/12/19
2nd read for me and I am still a little confused. I still am not sure about his celibacy or why they were apart. I know she loved him far more than he loved her. The things he said to her when she lost the baby were inexcusable. Horrid as a matter of fact. And the way he treated her at the cottage at the end came out of nowhere?!?! Why did he get so angry?!? Why did he just leave like that? It didn't make sense. I did realize he never cheated on her while they were married but it never cl
Penny Watson
Wicked loved this one!

Wish the ending had an epilogue or extra chapter. Super romantic story and great illustration of 2nd chance romance with estranged marriage.

LOVED!

Grade: A
Booklover
This was a nice emotional story,the basic plot is Pietro(he is a prince in Sicily)-Marina(commoner) both meet and sparks fly,they start their affair but then Marina falls ill and she does'nt take a pill which leads to pregnancy,Pietro says they will marry immediately cause no heir of his will be born illegitimate,Marina has her doubts but Pietro convinces her and they get married first few months are really happy and good but then Marina loses the baby and then from there their marriage takes ro ...more
Kay
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 Stars ~ What had started as a minor fender bender on a rainy London afternoon, swiftly became an affair so passionate that scattered both Pietro's and Marina's brains. Neither could think clearly in the other's presence, and when that passion resulted in a pregnancy, Pietro insisted that they marry. Pietro belongs to an aristocratic family in Sicily, holding the title of Principe, and this baby would be his heir. Marina had fallen in love with Pietro, so marriage and family became all she drea ...more
Books&Friends
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like Kate Walker's take on a couple who should have had the HEA... only life, circumstances, and shadows from the past challenged their marriage. There is some honesty here and happily Walker doesn't tread past the line with too much reality. What she accomplishes is a solemn portrait of a marriage where two people lost their way and the road back to each other. Above all she makes us believe that all be be well with these two.
Special kudos to Walker. I really liked how she kept the story foc
MissKitty
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have the same feelings as Debbie, another reviewer. I’m a bit confused, there was no clear explanation of why exactly they split up after the heroine had a miscarriage. Everything was so ....vague.

They first meet when she bumps his car, they have a drink together, fall in love and get married in haste since she is pregnant. Summary of their back story which is just as brief in the book!

She has a miscarriage so she is depressed so Hero sleeps in another room, she feels rejected. She closes her
Ipshita
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
There isn't much of a plot in this book. And the story mostly revolves around the events of one single day. The day when the "wife" finally meets her husband after almost two years of separation, to finalize their divorce. After that it pretty much becomes clichéd, what with the ever-present can't-keep-my-hands-off-of-you sexual attraction and the BIG misunderstanding/miscommunication. One thing good about this book is that after their tempestuous reunion(which, to be honest, extends well beyond ...more
RomLibrary
She arrives at attorney's office in the rain wearing rain coat. he sees her from the window. passion resulted in a pregnancy, so they had married. Pietro belongs to an aristocratic family in Sicily. She miscarried and leaves and he does not go after her so for two years there was silence between them. She receives a summons to return to Sicily to discuss the terms of their divorce.
Roub
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
it was close to a 5 star..very very close but i don't know i find something lacking. maybe too much happening on only one day..yes the book took place on one day only. fabulous read anyway!:-)
Donna Alward
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have loved tackling the TBR. I can look at my stack of category romances and pick what tickles my fancy. I remember Kate mentioning something about being unsure of this cover (the UK version) and how it fit the story, but I found the cover really intriguing! I wanted to know more about who this woman was. The US cover is more "colour correct" - the heroine has red hair - but there's something about this one that I love.

But inside the pages, and while I enjoyed being in Marina's head, it was th
MaryD
TashNz
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2nd chance lovers, emotional,
My autographed copy of The Proud Wife came down off the shelf yesterday when Kate's Facebook page shared yesterday that the Kindle version was currently free at the AmazonUK website. I recalled loving it but couldn't remember why until I opened the first page and started reading... not putting it down until the very last page.

Pietro, a Sicilian billionaire Prince of ages old ancestry, summons his ex wife Marina back to Sicily to discuss the terms of their divorce. Left with no option but an imme
Maria
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Romance is a popular fiction genre and one I enjoy occasionally. I liked this one a lot. A satisfying read for anyone who enjoys emotional drama. Only two characters and a few bit players. A couple get together to discuss their divorce and realize that they're still in love. Through the dialogues we learn the backstory, how they met, how they parted and how they find their way back to each other again. If there is a message and I do believe that all good fiction carries a message, it is that whe ...more
Linda Sims
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
A LACK OF COMMUNICATION

Two years ago Marina had left her husband Pietro and returned home. Now he is demanding she return to Scilly to discuss terms for a divorce. This couple had a whirlwind romance and then married. Then disaster struck and Marina left.

Many mistakes were made by this couple most of all a lack of communication, then what man in his right mind moves himself and his new bride in to live with his mother, he then spent too much time at work.

This was an okay read from this author, I
Izzie d
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
very emotional story.
Mudpie
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A second chance romance...not much action but lots of angst, talking and flashbacks to when they first met, got pregnant and married, then miscarriage and breakdown of the relationship.

I only just realised the book did not have that many scenes: opening scene saw Pietro in his office signing letter asking Marina to come to Palermo, Sicicilly to discuss terms of the divorce after ALMOST two years of separation. Next Marina in her kitchen staring at the letter in shock before texting Pietro and h
Tiffany
Good angsty HP.
Linda Freeman
Great story with strong characters, good second chance! I thoroughly enjoyed this story.
RLA
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Marina and Pietro, they have been separated for two years. Now Pietro feels its time to divorce and for them both to move on with their lives. He orders her to Sicily in order to lay out the terms of the divorce, thinking she would be more than happy with the settlement he has planned. Marina, however, goes to Sicily with the determination to finally put Pietro behind her and accept nothing from him. When they meet again it is clear they are both still very much attracted to ...more
jo_t
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fire burning beneath the ashes.

When Pietro officially ‘summons’ Marina back to Sicily with the excuse of discussing the terms of their divorce, she attends, only to have the satisfaction to tell him she wants nothing from him, but to send their short marriage into oblivion. None of them imagine the attraction that brought them together is still there. And the passion is burning hotter than ever. Unexpectedly, they are facing each other and their painful past.

A past where everything happene
Virginia Campbell
"The Proud Wife" wants nothing from the husband from whom she has been separated for two years. She keeps telling herself this over and over, right up until the moment she is once again face to face with the man she married. In author Kate Walker's touching, tempestuous romance, Englishwoman Marina Emerson was swept off her feet by the captivating charm of Prince Pietro D'inzeo of Sicily. Their whirlwind of passion resulted in an unplanned pregnancy and a quick marriage. Tragically, the baby was ...more
Moran
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
I love Kate Walker's books but The Proud Wife was just so boring!

I felt like there was no plot, too much descriptions and too little dialog between the hero and heroine.

Also, I felt like there was some missing information about the relationship between Marina and Pierto like how they met and how long did they know one another before they got married.

The Proud Wife is definitely not Kate Walker best book in my opinion.

I hope I'll enjoy her next book more.
Natalie Wagenbreth
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't know how to describe it...In the beginning you're waiting for something to happen between Pietro and Marina. There's sexual tension, of course. It's very exciting to read what happens between these two. Will they find love again or will they actually get divorced? Read for yourself! It's worth the time..
Missy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A passionate hot read about rediscovering your first & only true love. A modern day "Cinderella" story with a Prince & commoner who find love, get married, & lose each other with the death of their baby. They meet again to finalize their divorce only to feel the passion consume them. This time they actually talk to each other to discover what went wrong so that they can find love again.
Mandy Saial
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Cute, Quick Read!!
Christy Olesen
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
High octane characters, this separated couple work out their difficulties in 24 hours. Kate Walker is an excellent writer. This one was a little too intense for me.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Italian Temptation!
Amber
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall nice and angsty which I love. A little overwritten at times and I had to skim and there was a plot point toward the end that made me go huh!? but overall a very good HP.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Italian Temptation!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • One Last Night
  • The Society Wife
  • The Disgraced Playboy (The Notorious Wolfes, #2)
  • Just One Last Night
  • Taming the Last St. Claire (The Scandalous St. Claires #3)
  • Beauty and the Greek
  • The Devil's Heart
  • Surf, Sea And A Sexy Stranger (Modern Heat) (Brothers & Sisters, #1)
  • Hired by Her Husband
  • The S Before Ex
  • The Fearless Maverick (The Notorious Wolfes, #4)
  • The Ultimate Risk
  • Duarte's Child
  • Ruthless Greek Boss, Secretary Mistress
  • Purchased by the Billionaire
  • Forbidden or For Bedding?
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
I was born in Nottinghamshire, England, but I didn't live there for very long. The family moved to West Yorkshire when I was just eighteen months old and so I have always regarded Yorkshire as my home. I grew up there as the middle child in a family of five—all girls—in a home where books were vitally important and I read anything I could get my hands on.

Even before I could write I was making up s