Start by marking “A Warlock in Whitby (The Whitby Witches, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Warlock in Whitby (The Whitby Witches, #2)

A Warlock in Whitby

(The Whitby Witches #2)

One cold November night, high on Whitby's abbey plain, a scale-covered claw burrows out of the earth, and into the pale moonlight a hideous creature worms its way...

As the morning train stops at Whitby station a mysterious man alights, and looks about him with keen interest...

On Whitby beach, Nelda the aufwader waits, her heart filled with the dread that a terrible doom is
Paperback
Published January 23rd 2001 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Warlock in Whitby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Warlock in Whitby

Start your review of A Warlock in Whitby (The Whitby Witches, #2)
A. D. T.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as downright captivating as the first, however there are many moments that frightened the life out of me. Nathaniel is a brilliant new villain, and the end result is a very worthwhile and exciting adventure.
Alison
I read this in Whitby, where I have been for a few days. I really enjoyed the first book in the trilogy,The Whitby Witches , and while there were bits of this book I liked, I didn't enjoy everything about it.

Ben and Jennet are still living with Miss Boston, their elderly foster-mother in Whitby. Following the events of the previous book, a mysterious visitor, Nathaniel Crozier, arrives in Whitby. He is quite scruffy looking, but has magnetic brown eyes and a lot of charm, and manages to bend the
Heather
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I liked this one well enough, but I have plenty of complaints. My main objection is that the entire issue with Nelda and Esau was gross and disturbing, and I don't know how any of the members of their community went along with that mess. Also, Nelda's decision near the end is the main reason I would not recommend this book for kids. Ewww. The horde of girls and women obsessed with Nathaniel was not believable, especially when accompanied by the illustrations of Nathaniel, who looked like a rathe ...more
Neil George
Not as good as the Whitby witches. I also feel that the author lost touch with how old his characters were.
Matthew Hodge
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? This series just makes me want to visit Whitby more and more.

A darker outing all round, this one, with a truly malicious villain and many subplots all too good to be spoiled.

Jarvis ventures into some more adult places in this book, so beware parents, but it's well-handled. His finale is so apocalyptic, one can only wonder what the author will do to follow it up in the third book of the trilogy.
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
A bit of a slow burner, I didn't enjoy this as much as The Whitby Witches and it took me a while to get through. Maybe I'm just too old to be reliving my "yoof" by rereading my old favourites as an adult, but I do also think this is a series that may have been better as a standalone with Alice Boston saving Whitby and the world in book 1 and leaving it there. Moving on to The Whitby Child but I'm not holding much hope for enjoying it any more than this.
Edward Davies
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads
The second book in the Whitby series picks up a few months after the first one left off, and introduces even more weird and wonderful characters. This is a well-written children's fantasy that doesn't try to patronise it's audience - if anything some of the themes might be a little too grown up.
Helen
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book too - the illustrations are amazing and just help to drag the reader even further into the stories. Just as good as the Whitby Witches and still full of page-turning adventures.
Bethnoir
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a bit grim, would have preferred a bit more happy, but I enjoyed it.
Christopher
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just as exciting as the last one
Bexx
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this collection however, they are so hard to get hold of!
Virginia
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting series by Robin Jarvis that combines elements of mythology and mysticism. Well written and fast moving!
Windy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A much darker tale than the first in this trilogy. Also, some quite grown up content considering it is meant to be a children's book.

Very entertaining.
Aug 18, 2016
Tanya Turner
Feb 22, 2018
Anna Rose
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2013
Adam Rigby
May 12, 2014
Hywel
Jan 22, 2019

• The Dark Is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • The Grey King (The Dark is Rising, #4)
  • Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)
  • Snuff (Discworld, #39; City Watch #8)
  • The Last Continent (Discworld, #22; Rincewind #6)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • Harvest
  • The Time in Between
  • The Sunrise
  • The Island
  • 100 Foolproof Suppers
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Maskerade (Discworld, #18; Witches #5)
  • I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38; Tiffany Aching, #4)
  • Soul Music (Discworld, #16; Death, #3)
  • Nation
  • The Mitford Murders (Mitford Murders #1)
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Whitby Witches (3 books)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • The Whitby Child (The Whitby Witches, #3)