Start by marking “The Yellow House Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Yellow House Mystery

The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  7,220 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
The spooky old house on Surprise Island intrigues Benny.
Published December 14th 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published November 30th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow House Mystery, please sign up.

Rebekah DeMars Really?
Oh my gosh. Do you need it for homework.

Sam Kuntz
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Yellow House Mystery is about how the Boxcar Children find out how a man named Bill Macgregor vanishes in the summer. They find a note that says to go to Bare Trail to find 'THE MONEY ' as the book said. They go to Bare Trail and they find a man who lives in the woods. He is called Dave Hunter. They have to find 'THE MONEY' and Bill. Maybe Dave Hunter is Bill Macgregor.
You have to read the book to find out what happens.
Jerry
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story...but weird illustrations.
Bri Munsen
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
I found like five typing mistakes in this but it just adds to the quirkiness in owning such an old book.
Matthew
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I reread this book as an adult and I can see what my friend was saying about classism in the books. There definitely is some sense that non-wealthy people don't count in Ms. Warner's world. But the world is fun and the struggles and independence of the kids feel believable. There is some sexual division of labor, but it reads like Ms. Warner was a feminist for her time period - she believed that girls could do just as much and contribute just as much as boys, even if she acknowledged they were p ...more
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kids
The Boxcar Children are trying to solve a 40 year old mystery that takes them from Surprise Island all the way up to Maine on a rugged and amazing camping trip.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the descriptions of camping. And thought that the book as a whole came to a really satisfying conclusion. Great series!
Nevada Libert
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-read-alouds
i love reading box car to my brothers. me and my brothers love the mysterys in the box car sires.
Niharikaa
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was exciting and u could also at the end of the story guess who was the person they were looking for.
Shemaiah
The boys really enjoyed this mystery and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Me? I think I'm done reading Boxcar Children books
Tnb
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alone-3, alone-4
This is only the second book in the series that I have read but I do dare say that the series may be less appealing to today's young readers. The settings of the mysteries are fine and maybe the sole reason children would read these books. The writing is easy but dull. Every second of the adventure is recorded, leaving the reader to wonder "is it all important". I think that there are better stories in the market which present more engaging stories with better writing.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
The Yellow House Mystery is the first book in the Boxcar Mystery series to have a real mystery and is one my favorites. Readers will enjoy this fun quick read with a wonderful canoeing/camping adventure mixed in with the mystery. It is a great introduction to the mystery genre for young readers.

Recommended for grades 2-4. Lexile level: 440
Reviewed by Christine Hwang, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Mom
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not very excitable and this book is vary fun and exciting to me no doubt about that.

I chouse this rating because I love it nd it makes me very excited about reading and I hope to read all of the bopks
Myra Blake
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Another charming book in this quaint series. It is a fun little mystery and also has some interesting bits about canoeing and camping. I enjoy reading the books in this series because they remind me of books I read in school when I had just learned to read well.
Sarah Nessler
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Installment #3 and still interesting. Such a quaint group of children very neat characters and intertwining stories. Such simplistic mysteries involved however very cozy quick reading. The Boxcar Children series is fantastic!
Christina Cueto
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised that I never got into.this series as a kid. These are the kind of stories I loved growing up.
Aisling Spofford
A wonderful & adventurous story! The Boxcar Children has always been a favorite series of mine.
Rachel
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and creative book about four siblings on an adventure with their married cousin. The reader learns about canoe trips, camping, fly fishing, and working together to reach a goal.
Michelle
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I love the boxcar children, but I will always have a little nostalgic place in my heart for these. Max and Lucy seemed to like it
Caleb Beadel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a real good book that's why I'd give it a four
Lauren
Good for young readers.
Kara Bradford
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cole-s-list
My 7 year old son and I listened to this as an audio book in the car and he loved it. It is a fun little mystery. It was predictable for me, but not as much for him.
Selina Bloomfield
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been read these books with my older two boys and they love them! Every single night they beg me to read just one more chapter.
Mary
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This definitely made me want to go on a canoe trip!
Christine Hwang
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of the Boxcar Children
Brian Hutzell
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like the first two Boxcar Children books, this third volume in the series is a fun trip to yesteryear, a time when children respected their elders and vice-versa. It’s nice to read a book that contains not the slightest whiff of the ironic detachment which pervades so much of today’s writing.
Brooke Nadzam
Another read with the I-Man. He loves these Boxcar kids!
Jenny
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my daughter. It brought back a lot of memories!
Irene
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: This is part of my Random Bookshelf Reading project. I'm also working on re-reading this series and collecting the first 19.

Yellow House follows the established pattern of the first two books and yet also branches out a bit. The children go back to Surprise Island and end up on an adventure that has them roughing it and living outdoors, camping, canoeing and taking care of themselves, as usual. The children are a bit older this time with both Henry and Jessie in high school,
Rachel
Calvin lost interest partway through this book, but after a break reading he was interested again
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Mandie and the Forbidden Attic (Mandie Books, #4)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • The Secret Valley
  • The Secret Santa (Nancy Drew: Notebooks, #3)