Start by marking “Nam Sense” as Want to Read:
Nam Sense

Nam Sense

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Nam Sense is the memoir of a combat squad leader in the 101st Airborne Division. This book offers a perfect blend of candour and humour - and it spares nothing and no one in its attempt to convey what really happened during this unpopular war.
Published June 1st 2009 by Casemate Publishers and Book Distributors (first published July 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nam Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nam Sense

John Podlaski
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Wiknik's story touched upon many of the memories I have about my own tour as a grunt in Vietnam. I do recall that after Basic Training and AIT, many of us sought out additional training in order to delay our deployment to Vietnam; Arthur coins it best, "...maybe the war will be over after all this training and I won't have to go." Many of us draftees signed up for Leadership Preparation Course, NCO (Shake 'n Bake) training, and jump school to shorten the potential time left in the militar ...more
Steve Woods
This is an account of one man's tour between 1969 and 1970 with the 101st Airborne Division. Ostensibly one of America's elite main force infantry units. I can only take what is described here as an accurate account and it certainly accords with some other accounts I have read and with my own observations of some American military units on my own tour in Vietnam during the same period. It is not a very flattering picture. These men display appalling field discipline and poor morale. They cast of ...more
Iang95ify .
A detailed and personal recount by a sergeant serving in the 101st Airborne Division. Arthur shows the personalities of his officers and superior NCOs, who are either arrogant or overly aggressive towards the Vietcong whom they refer to us "gooks". As his stint in the army goes on, Arthur loses interest and is given jobs that people don't want to do like digging a hole. Arthur does share about his R&R in Hawaii and Bangkok and he slowly drifts to the rear end after being disillusioned with t ...more
John Stafford
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice read - Art saw some significant combat but not an extraordinary amount - gives a good understanding of day to day jungle infantry operations in Vietnam. I learned quite a bit from the descriptions of going in and out of country, r&r, medical treatment, etc.

For military leaders it would form great raw material for a case study discussion about small unit leadership. The weak leadership was incredibly glaring and there is a lot of details that suggest the environment systematically deve
John
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good memoir, but mostly written because he has a bone to pick with others. The title's also misleading, since he served with the 101 but never did jump school. A fast read.

After further reflection– perspective shows nested layers of conflict in war (between home front and soldiers, between soldiers and their leaders, between soldiers and Vietnamese (civilian and military, both north and south), etc. Still probably won't re-read.
Kevin O'Reilly
Pretty good inside look at what the real Vietnam war was like, although the author is a bit of a wiseass. But the situations and internal conflicts ring true, even for me who spent the war in Georgia. I didn't understand how he could become a "screaming eagle" without jump school, but I guess they really needed 90 day wonders back then.

All in all a good read; and the photos inside are great.
Eric Fritz
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He signed the copy I read (got it from my local library in CT) which sort of sold me on reading the book. Personally, I can't help but understand his attitude towards war. I've never enlisted, but the situations his superiors put him and his men in disgusted me. I like how he didn't try to make himself out as a war hero who single handedly defeated the VC. Good read.
Michael Flanagan
Not a bad Memoirs certainley kept me interested. A bit short in combat for my liking for this type of book.
Dewayne Stark
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Vietnam book written by soldier recently about his war time experience. Very interesting reading showing a side not normally expressed.
LARRY FLICK
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There about same time, but memory without all the details
James
Mar 31, 2016
Bob Staroscik
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Arthur Wiknik, Jr. served in Vietnam with Company A 2/506th of the 101st Airborne Division as an infantry squad leader from April 1969 to March 1970. He was one of the first in his unit to safely reach the top of Hamburger Hill during the final assault. A few months later, he prevented a possible attack on a remote firebase by discovering a nearby enemy weapons cache.

Proud of his military service
More about Arthur Wiknik Jr....