Start by marking “Green Lantern and Philosophy: No Evil Shall Escape This Book” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern and Philosophy: No Evil Shall Escape This Book

Green Lantern and Philosophy: No Evil Shall Escape This Book (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #24)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The first look at the philosophy behind the Green Lantern comics--timed for the release of the Green Lantern movie in June 2011 The most recent Green Lantern series--Blackest Night--propelled GL to be the top-selling comic series for more than a year, the latest twist in seven decades of Green Lantern adventures. This book sheds light on the deep philosophical issues that ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern and Philosophy

Don Incognito
Aug 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
I saw this in a college bookstore, and groaned. Fanboy foolishness often makes me laugh, but this example is not funny. Comics books being studied in all seriousness for philosophy lessons suggests contemporary philosophy is exhausted; but since intellectual fashion craves the new and won't go backwards, philosophy descends into pop culture. Sad. More generally, so is the thought of comic books being taken too seriously.
The last line of this book's blurb was jaw-droppingly campy, but that kind o
Jake
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: green-lantern, 2012
This was a very interesting read. The writers of this book treat the comic characters like they're real people as they get into the science of how the brain works and the reasons why a Green Lantern chooses to do things, instead of just saying that the comic writers had some cool ideas for a story. For example, the issue is brought up of Lanterns constantly creating constructs of giant fists or boxing gloves to beat up a bad guy instead of creating something else. They excuse the idea that comic ...more
Phil Bova
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An avid fan of Green Lantern, Mark White excels at combining philosophical thought with fictional characters. More importantly, after reading this gem...I looked at Green Lantern and the Corps altogether differently.
Wonderful and insightful book.
Audrey Hacker
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, philosophy
I can't believe there were no articles on guy gardner wtf
Melvin Patterson
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
As with the other books in this series that I've read, this was enjoyable, light reading. Trying to fit a school of philosophy into a fictional universe is a fun romp.
Hina
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the older editions of Pop Culture and Philosophy and it shows. I’m not sure exactly when the shift came to shorter, less robust essays, but this was back when they actually wrote at length, providing many more examples to give the reader more of a chance to understand the point that was coming across. I have to admit, I don’t think I’ve ever read any of the Green Lantern comics. I bought this book, sort of on a whim, when Borders (remember them?) were going out of business and Phi ...more
PsypherPunk
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I suppose it's only to be expected that something in a series titled the "Philosophy and Pop Culture Series" might rely a little heavily on the latter. Sure, it's filled with background on the titular characters and allegories-a-go-go but actual philosophy seems thin on the ground.

Not to say that it's without any merit: ignoring the overly detailed recitation of the Green Lanterns' history, both fictional and publishing, the historical references to philosophers past is definitely of interest (t
Samantha
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
A basic look at the Green Lantern series and various philosophy concepts. It was entertaining during some parts, dry and dragging along in others. I recommend this book to fans of the comic series, especially new readers, as it provides a good bit of information on the universe in it. It's not a GREAT book by any means, but I didn't exactly waste my time with it either. It's a fun, nerdy read.
Allison
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hobby
I really didn't understand this book, I think it was meant for an older audience but I liked the parts I understood, and the quotes in the book, not to mention I love Hal Jordan and Abin Sur and John Stewart!!!
Mike Vardy
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper-library
I'm biased as a huge GL fan, but the way the authors use The Corps to discuss philosophy (and vice versatile) is well done.

I'll be reading more books like this going forward.
Babs
Dhassing
Apr 13, 2014
Will
Oct 08, 2012

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today