Start by marking “Unlucky” as Want to Read:

Unlucky

From NY Times and USA Today bestselling author, Jana DeLeon.

Mallory Devereaux is known throughout the town of Royal Flush, Louisiana as a walking disaster and her luck just got worse. She needs to raise ten-thousand dollars in one week to keep the IRS from seizing her adopted father’s business where she works as the demolition foreman.

When the opportunity to cool cards at
Published November 8th 2010 by Jana DeLeon (first published October 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky

Mahoghani 23
This book is witty, romantic, intense and charming simultaneously. The characters are people that are living in Royal Flush, LA and they're just down home folks that support one another but don't care for Yankees.

Mallory Devereaux is the most unlucky woman that with just a touch from her will change your whole day and not in a good way. She's trying to save the company she works from falling into the hands of Walter Royal and she agrees to work her uncle's casino boat. From there the story take
Darinda
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, romance
Mallory Devereaux has terrible luck, and so do the people who come into contact with her. She's working as a "cooler" at her uncle's casino to make some extra money, but there is a lot more going on at the casino than she had planned on.

A humorous, light, and fun read. A little romance, a little mystery, and a lot of small town shenanigans.
Rita Lo
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, I guess, but I was at the same time disappointed and that's saying much considering how low my expectations were. The plot was interesting and the FBI agent was good but they never really showed how SHE was unlucky, only a phone died and a handle ripped. They never explained how she was able to make a building collapse after she was in it and why is didn't happen to any other buildings. I mean, if she makes a building COLLAPSE she should have a little more bad luck in the ever ...more
Terisa
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly don't understand all of the low reviews that I've seen on this book. I honestly enjoyed it from start to finish.

This book even started off really funny with Mallory at a bar making passes at overweight port o potty salesman so that a priest could win at pool. I laughed out loud at her antics as well as those of Father Thomas.

Poor Mallory and some of the things that happen to her are down right hilarious but she has a great group of friends that are always there for her. Amy, who loo
Patricia Steele
I might give this 2.5 stars. The most exciting part was the last five pages. I have read this authors MIss Fortune Series and absolutely loved it. This was disappointing. It was all about a poker game and terminology that I know nothing about but that would have been okay if it wasn't the whole book. There was voodoo dolls and other paranormal things that are not my cup of tea. I don't know if its because of being Canadian I don't understand the culture in Louisiana but having said that I read a ...more
Anita
Funny in spots, romantic, lite-paranormal, a twist at the takedown I didn't see coming. A cast of characters you would expect from a book set in the bayou.

Mallory has been cursed with bad luck from birth. It rubs off on anyone who touches her. Jake is very interested is rubbing up against her. Mallory needs money to save the demolition business she works for. She agrees to use her curse for her uncle in exchange for the money she needs. The whole simple plan takes an unexpected turn when Jake tu
Mindy
I am actually reading a collection where this was the first book. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
Grandma Mush
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always like Deleon books, even tho I have to suspend belief for them.
Jae
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mallory has been unlucky her entire life, and that bad luck can literally rub off on someone if she touches them. Naturally, she's had to take a job for a company that does demolition. When Mallory learns her Uncle Reginald is hosting a high-stakes poker tournament on board his casino boat, she signs on to "cool" the cards. One touch from her, and a player's luck will go bad.

What Mallory and her uncle don't know is that the FBI is also interested in this tournament, in hopes of catching a money
Sharon
This was the only Jana Deleon book I had not yet read ... and I was kind of disappointed.

Mallory Devereaux is so unlucky that she works as a demolition foreman; she doesn't have to touch a single piece of equipment for a building to follow down if she walks through a doorway. Her uncle is running a floating casino outside of Royal Flush (a fully-invented Louisiana town), and he calls her in to "cool" cards at a particular table ... where Jake Randoll is dealing.

Unbeknownst to Mallory, Jake's an
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Rhonda Jones
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Story and Characters

Mallory is what I would call a jinx but in this story she is called a cooler. It is not so much that she is unlucky, but everyone she touches is unlucky. Makes it hard on relationships. But Mallory is such a wonderful woman she has lots of true friends. She is about to get into a sticky situation going to bat for her true friends and loved ones. This was a great story. I loved the quirky characters in her small Louisiana town of Royal Flush. Towards the end of the book
Denise
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cozy mystery was a new take for me - not much of a poker player and then there was no murder! What...and honestly it took until the middle of the tale for me to realize they were not going to murder someone - huh....but there was mystery non the less and I found myself reading fast to find out what was going to happen.

Fun fast read that takes a bit of a twist to the same ol same of cozy mystery reads.
Chris Blackton
Why can't books come with a warning like TV shows and movies? This one would be labelled "Warning, explicit sex scenes!" I am not a prude but I am tired of having sex shoved down my throats with almost every book I read especially when I don't feel it is necessary to the plot.

The book was clever and the characters were great. I enjoy Jana DeLeon's swamp team books and had high hopes for this one but it was overshadowed by the gratuitous sex.
Maureen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love the Fortune series by Jana DeLeon.....this is the first book I've read about Mallory and Royal Flush and I hav to say it was a disappointment....from the moment the word cooling came up in the card game I had a hard time following what was going on...Mallory was a demo expert, but able to do something called cooling at the card tournament....I did finish the book but it was a struggle...give me Fortune and her friends anytime !!!
Brandy Barber
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read. Very funny and so unfortunate for Mallory to have such bad luck. I felt so bad for her when Amy was having a hard time and she couldn't hug her or anything. Love that the town is behind her for the most part. Scooter is such a surprise. All in All I Love getting my hands on a new Jana book. She never disappoint.
Belly
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This story had more twists & turns than a sack full of cats. I don’t think I guessed a single outcome correct.

This book has been popping up in my recommendations for a long while now, but for some reason it never appealed to me. I decided to go for it today after finishing off her Miss Fortune books & Rumble in the Bayou. I’m so glad I finally did.
DE Jorgensen
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just read it

How can you not love this book? It's got voodoo, a mechanical genius named Scooter, a crooked porta-potty king, poker, a dominatrix who's a little person, and more all set in Louisiana. There's even some romance tossed in to make it interesting. Only thing missing was an alligator. I do believe Jana DeLeon is my new favorite author.
Susan Pierce
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, but not my favorite by this author.

I did enjoy this book, as I have all ofJana DeLeon's books. However, this one was hard to get into. I felt like I was starting a book that already underway. It took a while to understand what was going on. Not her best start. But still a good book.
Cris
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plus18, mystery, funny
That was amazing!! I loved it! It was funny, it had a +18 scene (OMG! I didn't know Jana could write a sex scene, no offense intended just wow), it had romance and the mystery side was so good! I so was not expecting any of it... I can't shake the smile off my face!!

A funny, easy read, do read it now!
Charles Graning
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good but not her best

The story was a bit slow in developing, but once it started to come together, it built up steam very nicely. I would say the last third of the book was quite difficult to put down!
Mary Rowe
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A More "Normal" Jana DeLeon Heroine

Sharp humor and unique Louisiana-flavored philosophy, plus shenanigans as only Jana DeLeon can write them. Not a madcap roller coster like the Miss Fortune series, but not dark and tense like Shaye Archer sagas. Satisfying and solid!
Cherrie Wilkerson
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great!

I loved the mystic mystery part of this book. I think the characters have moremysteries to give us. The bad luck part is a good twist.
Pauladewet
I loved the Fortune series, but unfortunately the rest of her books are too explicit for me. I had to skip numerous sections of graphic content that is simply not in my preference.
Gwen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

I absolutely loved this book. The twist at the end was truly unexpected. It was a fun and easy read.
arlene
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great

What can I say, she is a great writer, another case solve with the great amount of suspense and everything else
Theresa Hurley
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Really enjoyed it!
Cindy Pecore
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy read on the go...

Great fun reading and could pick up / put down without a problem. Story always came right back. Unexpected fun summer read.
Deanna S. Burger
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unlucky

I WAS KEPT ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT ALL THE WAY TO THE END! I THOUGHT I KNEW HOW IT WOULD END, BUT WAS SURPRISED AT THE LAST TURNS THE BOOK TOOK ON. EXCELLENT AUTHOR.
Hazel
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read

I enjoy this book. It has some good whit in it. The main character was great. I will definitely read more.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Shop of Shades and Secrets
  • Catch Me if You Can (ALPHA Squadron, #1)
  • Stormy Montana Sky (Montana Sky, #3)
  • Finding Kate Huntley
  • Guns Will Keep Us Together (Bombay Assassins, #2)
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • Grave Trouble (Lexi Graves Mystery, #2.5)
  • Spirits of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun #6.5)
  • Body Work
  • Dial M for Mischief (Sunshine Girls, #1)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Time After Time
  • Love, Suburban Style
  • High Heels Mysteries Boxed Set Vol. II (High Heels, #4-6)
  • Baehrly Beginning (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears 0.5)
  • License to Thrill
  • No Test for the Wicked (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #5)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jana DeLeon was raised in southwest Louisiana among the bayous and gators. Her hometown is Carlyss, but you probably won't find it on a map. Her family owned a camp located on a bayou just off the Gulf of Mexico that you could only get there by boat. The most important feature was the rope hammock hanging in the shade on a huge deck that stretched ou ...more
“Are you sure you weren't adopted?"
"Mom would like to think so, but it was a natural birth, so her memory's real clear.”
8 likes