Start by marking “The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You” as Want to Read:
The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You

The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  486 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
You wish you didn’t spend as much time worrying as you do, but you just can’t seem to help it. Worrying feels like second nature. It’s what helps you solve your problems and prevents you from making mistakes. It’s what motivates you to be prepared—if you didn’t worry, things might get out of hand. Worry protects you, prepares you, and keeps you safe.

Is it working? Or is it
Published November 1st 2005 by Harmony (first published 2005)

Victoria
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I own this book, and I will not part with it. Sorry folks! This book has changed my life. Ask Kara and Craig if you don't believe me. It provides excellent steps and exercises for dealing with the overthinking-worst-case-scenario type...like myself!
Emily
Sep 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Worriers all over
Good book that helps worriers of all types. For example, the top 12 things NOT to do in order to decrease worry:

1. Seeking reassurance
2. Trying to stop your thoughts
3. Collecting information
4. Checking over and over
5. Avoiding discomfort
6. Numbing yourself with alcohol, drugs, or food
7. Overpreparing
8. Using safety behaviors (superstitious behaviors)
9. Always trying to make a good impression
10. Ruminating--chewing it over and over
11. Demanding certainty
12. Refusing to accept the fact that you ha
Gina
Another book I recommend to my clients. It's most appropriate for people who struggle with generalized worry (i.e., worry that crosses many domains)-- and may be less helpful for people with specific phobias, social anxiety, panic disorder....

However, I really enjoy the way Leahy writes and I found that there is a lot of useful advice for the average person. I mean, who couldn't use some advice on:
Identifying Productive and Unproductive Worry
Accepting Reality and Committing to Change
Challenging
Rasha Kurdi
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جيد تناول أسباب القلق عادة واختبارات لقياس مستوى القلق عند القارئ وبواعثه، ثم خطوات سبعة للتعامل مع القلق بفاعلية وتحويله من عائق إلى دافع للنجاح
أعجبني وأنصح به
Scotty
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As some someone who suffers from Generalized Anxiety I found this book to be a gold mine.
I received this book as an xmas gift from my brother and his wife. Now I am allowed to write and use it a reference when I have worries.
Although it tends to be repetitive as most self help books are this is still a great book. Each step is broken down with assignments and real life examples that almost anyone can relate to.
I will continue to use this throughout my life to learn how to overcome and success
Hal
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across the mention of this book I believe on a health website, the focus of most of my worry issues. There was a simple statement that said life has to be looked at as knowing pain will be there from time to time and we need to accept that. I liked that and that led be to reading the book.

First I was worried I would not finish it. No just kidding. It turned out to be a good book to get at the core of what drives our worries about really anything. The doctor then addresses putting things i
Dan
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: worriers
I learned some awesome methods to take control of your thoughts and keep you on track. Worry isn't anxiety, nervousness, or fear; it's a certain type thinking which is 99% useless. For thinkers this will greatly increase the productivity of your mind and (obviously) make you feel good!
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cognitive behavioural therapy approach based on academic research with lots of references to other sources. Very helpful.
Janet
Jun 17, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've discovered in early mid-life that I'm a worrier....and I want to stop!
Dominic Bellavance
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essai, lu-en-2017
Une des pires écritures que j'ai vues dans la non-fiction : drabe, hyper répétitif, hyper répétitif, drabe, hyper répétitif. On dirait presque une blague. J'ai pas été très « angoissé » à l'idée de l'abandonner 2 chapitres avant la fin. #feelinbitchin
Dora
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good discussion on looking at, and addressing, your worries. Concrete advice and steps to help improve your life. Interesting and sensible.
Alexander Fitzgerald
I generally try to grade books based on what the author was trying to do, whether they did it, and whether that's good for people. In this case, Mr. Leahy did an excellent job of delivering exactly what he promised: Mental strategies to help people deal with worry.

That said, it's hard to give the full five stars here because Mr. Leahy is very much a nuts and bolts guy.

I recently read a review of Angela Duckworth's book Grit where many people complained about the prevalence of real-world stories
Carol Wiilliams
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right now I am worried I wasted my money on this book! Don't get me wrong..... I can see how it can help people who are mostly just plain worriers..... but that is not me.

I already knew I suffered from Social Anxiety.... Panic Disorder..... and enough phobias that I could write my own book about them.

This book really just did not help me with much. I did find out that some of the things I worry about are a waste of my time and energy.... such as things I can no way control, but a lot of my worri
Ush
Oct 31, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is really helpful! It's worth giving it a try. What I do recommend is to read the introduction, Part 1 and Part 2 which are very interesting and good for self-evaluation/self-awareness/clarity. As for Part 3, go to the index and pick the worry you want to cure yourself of as all of them carry the seven step plan and part 3 consists of chapter 11-15 (with summary in chapter 16) and each chapter is repetitive. I suggest to exercise a step at a time instead of reading all the steps at onc ...more
Auntjenny
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is as bland as a doctor's waiting room, but the advice is helpful, if you can catch yourself doing the behaviors Leahy writes about.

One major qualm I have with this otherwise useful book: Leahy's section "Your Parents Taught You To Worry" in which he literally and ridiculously blames mothers for everyone's anxiety problems. How do mothers teach their children to worry? Well, he cites several very nuanced examples, namely that mothers say things like "wear your gloves," "don't stay o
Kevin
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mindfulness
A very practical, empowering, and informative book. I never realized worry and anxiety are different things, and that worry is a tactic to use against anxiety. The book outlines different types of worrying (productive vs. unproductive) and provides tools with how to deal with them. It's definitely one of those books you need to "do" in order for it to be beneficial, but just reading it made me feel more in control. I feel that a book like this works best if it's read or done in conjunction with ...more
Alicia
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was life-altering for me. I have been a chronic worrier for longer than I can remember. I have read many books on anxiety and worrying, but this one by far surpasses them all. Not only does this book offer great techniques to stop worrying so much, it also provides a lot of insight about why we worry and how worrying affects our daily lives. For me the most valuable part was the fact that I realized I'm not the only chronic worrier on earth and that there is hope to one day escape from ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I bought this, the amazon reviews said it was helpful but repetitive in places. I share that assessment with the caveat that the repetition worked for me. Those who read self-help books need a message drummed into their heads!

The message that worry is born out of a need to control and impatience to be reassured immediately is right on target. We need to embrace the fact that we can't control the future, we can only improve the moment. Imagining what has not happened yet only destroys our
Tiina
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly good read. It seemed repetitive, but I guess it's actually useful since the author showed how to use the seven steps for different worry-inducing situations.
I don't have general anxiety, but one for very specific situations, and I hope to use these steps and devices to reduce that.

I listened to the abridged audiobook that was 3 hours. I think it worked well as I definitely got the gist of it, and having more would've become too repetitive, I think. Made for a quick and easy lis
Amy
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll find lots of extremely practical strategies for dealing with worry. Leahy is a bit too general, but he's writing for a mass audience so that's acceptable.

He is able to put something useful in all of his examples. A chapter might use an work through the steps using someone who is afraid of not having enough money, but someone with a completely different type of worry can still benefit from the info in that chapter. Definitely worth a read if you have a problem with anxiety and worry. Some
Mick
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got generalized anxiety disorder, and though I'm not into self help books, this is the first one that I've read that has actually helped me. The strategies here are really useful, and the self-tests really helped me focus in on what my specific worry triggers are. Leahy's examples sometimes seem repetitive, but in the end, this book is one I'll go back to. I definitely recommend this for those with anxiety.
Susan
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book and it helped me realize the struggles I have in my life and why some of them occur! I can't wait to try and work on getting rid of my constant worry! It's very hard on me and this book really helped me see what worry truly is, why people do it, etc. I highly recommend this book to ANYONE who is struggling. The author writes in such a down-to-earth way, which in my opinion makes it much more enjoyable to read.
Nina Mcdaniel
Excellent self help book based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I would rename it though...possibly "The Uncontrollable Thought-Life Cure" or something that doesn't use the word "Worry". It was so much more than that. Efficiency-addicts, Perfectionists, and Over-prepare-ers will laugh out loud at how accurate he pinpoints our habits and thoughts. TONS of practical information and evidence-based techniques.
Tara
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me understand worry, anxiety, control, uncertainty, behavior personalities, core beliefs, emotional avoidance, acceptance, mindful detachment, misperceptions and cognitive distortions in a way I never thought possible...
Once I start worrying I jump to conclusions, take things personally, predict catastrophes... slide down a slippery slope.
I need to practice over and over the strategies and techniques that are outlined in this book.

It's a life changer for sure.
Lauren
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
So this one and the next one are not really useful reviews for anyone who isn't me, but, hey, I did read this book this year, so.

If you have anxiety and want some basic, structured ways of thinking about what's going on in your brain and some ways of starting to combat it, then here you go. It's probably not that useful for someone who hasn't been through CBT before, but that probably varies by person.

Anyway. It helped me somewhat, whatever that's worth.
Adam
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not the most effective if you listen to the audio version. Very practical and hands on. Definitely would be helpful if I found myself inhibited by my worry. I probably should follow it's advice to overcome some of my own inhibitions from continual surface-level worry, but I see the greater issue being resolved through greater application of Brene Brown's Daring Greatly than necessarily following self-image exercises.
Yasser Hassan
A review of the abridged audio book edition:
The purpose of this book is to teach the listener/reader how to cure his worries through practical steps but it turns out to be more than that. What this book actually teaches is how to deal with and practice life wisely, practically, and reasonably. By doing so, worry will be cured by itself.

When it comes to worry in specific, it teaches how to worry right. Worry is not all bad after all and sometimes necessary.
Helene
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a recommendation to support my daughter who is excellent at worrying. Some this material is right on the money about worry and it offers ideas to change the behavior of worrying. I did like some of the strategies and it was on point. A little dry..My daughter enjoyed the self tests which provoked conversation.
Mallory
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed at how helpful this book was. It really does have some great tips in it. I highly recommend it for anyone with anxiety or worry issues. My only problem is that about halfway through it starts to drag. It seems like he rephrases techniques he has described earlier and is repeating himself. That said, don't let it scare you away.
Marissa
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who worries a lot
Recommended to Marissa by: read about it in a magazine article
I've been 'a worrier all my life' - didn't realize that it's pretty common. Reading this book was like reading a biography of myself - sometimes to the point of being spooky. I plan to apply the practical exercises he suggests to deal with worry and know that my life won't be the same after reading this book.
The Worry Cure 1 17 Oct 22, 2008 06:04PM
  • The Ten Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques - Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It
  • Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks
  • ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Winter Blues: Everything You Need to Know to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder
  • The Disease to Please: Curing the People-Pleasing Syndrome
  • Let Them Eat Prozac: The Unhealthy Relationship Between the Pharmaceutical Industry and Depression
  • Learning to Love Yourself: Finding Your Self Worth
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Winning: The Answers: Confronting 74 of the Toughest Questions in Business Today
  • No Excuses: 9 Ways Women Can Change How We Think about Power
  • On the Edge of Darkness: Conversations About Conquering Depression
  • Breaking the Time Barrier: How to Unlock Your True Earning Potential
  • The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.
  • The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium