Start by marking “The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale” as Want to Read:
The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale

The Lady and the Lion: A Brothers Grimm Tale

Love and honor can overcome even the fiercest obstacles, as we see in this spellbinding fairy tale, with shades of "Beauty and the Beast." To save her father, a young woman must go to the castle of a menacing lion. She fears for her life, but finds kindness rather than danger there, for the lion by day is a gentle young man by night-a prince under the spell of a wicked enc ...more
Published October 27th 2003 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about The Lady and the Lion, please sign up.
Katie No, lol. It's a childeren's book but it has romance in it. I guess it's fantasy.

Hope this helps!

Kathryn
4.5 STARS An absolutely gorgeous picture book retelling of the Grimm fairytale "The Singing, Springing Lark" holds similarities to "Beauty and the Beast" and "East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon". I enjoyed the story, though not as well as the other original fairytale by this team, The Magic Nesting Doll. Still, I heartily recommend this book especially for the amazingly beautiful illustrations! They are the perfect representation of a fairytale, in my opinion. I just love them! My friend Abiga ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This gorgeously illustrated story is a retelling of a Grimm fairy tale that combines elements of "Beauty and the Beast" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." I just love the way Laurel Long draws clothing. In the picture of the girl riding on the back of the lion she's wearing a cloak with lions and birds on it that looks so silky you want to reach out and touch it. I'd love to have a dress like the one she's wearing in the picture of her first encounter with the lion. Long does beautiful sun ...more
Dolly
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Simply breathtaking illustrations highlight this retelling of a Brothers Grimm story. The Author's Note at the beginning explains that the story is based on the fairy tale also known as "The Singing, Springing Lark" and combines the stories of "Beauty and the Beast" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." The story is truly enchanting and the illustrations are amazing - the single page illustrations look like woven tapestries (did I say that we loved the illustrations?!?) We really enjoyed read ...more
SheAintGotNoShoes
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Story was so-so, but the illustrations were simply gorgeous !
Brenna H.
My sister got this out of the library (she's an artist and loves fairytales) and I randomly picked it up since it looked akin to Beauty and the Beast, which is, in my opinion, the best fairytale of them all. (Definitely the best Disney fairytale movie.)

The Lady and the Lion was kind of trippy, with shades of Beauty and the Beast; East of the Sun, West of the Moon; Donkeyskin; and Sleeping Beauty (and probably other fairytales as well) within its pages. The illustrations were quite beautiful, in
MissInformation
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The sumptuous, lyrical illustrations really draw you in to this book- and the tale is well enough told. The heroine is virtuous, and I like the way Long and Ogburn take time to describe that she fell in love with her prince for his virtues (as opposed to it just being he's a prince so she loves him like other tellings). She isn't so much a clever girl, as pure of heart and determined on her quest to save her love. The quest itself has several steps, and is fun to follow both story-wise and visua ...more
Set
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
belle
Yet again, another story by the same author and illustrator that has elements of the story of Fenist the Falcon. The story is nice and seems more plausible than a few Baba Yagas helping out a young maiden like in Fenist the Falcon. The illustrations are very nice and I wish this illustrator would someday be inspired to draw in a medieval style.
Jera Em
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, favorites
I'm fairly certain this is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast but there are enough differences for it to feel unique. The illustrations are simply beautiful and a big selling point of the story. My only critique is I felt the villain wasn't given enough time to be built up but it is a picture book, so that is to be expected. Definitely would recommend for the pictures and the ultimately charming storyline.
Ann
First of all, this book is a feast for the eyes! The illustrations are so gorgeous and the colors are breathtaking! This alone makes this book worthwhile to pick up!

The story, too, is quite enchanting. It starts off like the typical "Beauty and the Beast" - but instead of a rose, it's a lark that "Beauty/The Lady" desires, and the beast is actually a lion. The specifics of the enchantment vary, as does the second half of the book (complete with a fight between a lion and a dragon, a seven year t
Art
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The youngest daughter of a merchant takes a journey to a castle to fulfill her father's promise to the great princely lion who lives there with his 12 lion courtiers. This begins a tale of riding griffins, following a dove for 7 years, battling dragons, and of sitting in night-blooming flower gardens. Jacqueline Griffin's retelling of the Grimm brother's classic "The Lady and the Lion" is alluringly illustrated by Laurel Long (don't ya love alliteration?). Long's paintings are the perfect compli ...more
Zoe
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Any one who reads it will like it (maybe:)).Its about a princess who finds a group of lions and they are lions by day and people by night and the prince said"Please do not be afraid.A wicked enchatress cast a spell on me when I refused to marry her.My court and i are lions by day and men by night.Stay with us."but i shoudn't give any more away. :)
Amalie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a Grimms fairy tale I wasn't familiar with. It has elements of "Beauty and the Beast", and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" and "Allerleirauh."

Compared to all the female characters of the above mentioned tales, the female character in this story is more admirable. Here we see a lady who knows exactly what she wants and perseveres against all odds to rescue the prince. It's nice to see the regular 'Maiden/Damsel-in-Distress' has transformed herself into a 'knight' who does all the savi
Bookworm
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soul-catching
This book is soul catching. The story is a classic tale of the power of love and kindness. This book truly illustrates the lengths of which a person is willing to go for love. I've loved this story since I was a little kid, I can't express how much I have fallen in love with the illustrations and classic story. Its drawings are gorgeous. Each picture is a show of the illustrators talent and dedication. They take my breath away and even after countless rereading of this book they still leave me s ...more
Lydia
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahh-ugh!!! I. Love. It! I need to buy this book! I love the story and I really love the artwork! Wonderful book!!
Inhabiting Books
A combination of "Beauty and the Beast" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon", this is the story of a young woman who goes to live with the Lion because of a promise made by her father. After finding out that the lion is under an enchantment that makes him a beast by day, but a handsome young man by night, the lady and the lion fall in love and marry, but she still pines for home. When news comes of her sister's wedding, she and her lion husband visit her family's home. But the visit ends disa ...more
Miri
I wonder why I've never heard this fairy tale before—it's a Brothers Grimm story, and I like it much better than Rapunzel, Cinderella, or any of the others that have become so popular. (Maybe it's because Disney hasn't made a movie of it...) Anyway, aside from liking the story—and loving that it's the princess who saves the prince—I like the illustrations, and that the princess isn't depicted with an absurdly tiny waist. Overall, a win.
Meg McGregor
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
My favorite fairy tale has always been Beauty and the Beast! I am not pretty so realizing that someone can love you for what you are inside was a revelation to me. Even as a adult and having been married 26 years, I sometimes worry about not being pretty. But then I try to remind myself that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is a great variation of the tale that includes references to East of the Sun and West of the Moon - another tale I have always enjoyed!
Hannah
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you have little kids or siblings, this is a fun book to read with them. Both my little brother and sister loved it. It's an excellent mix of East of the Sun West of the Moon and Beauty and the Beast. It also teaches a good lesson about following instructions, so that's a bonus when reading to little kids.
Nohely
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yes! Girl power story! This is more like a mix of Beauty and the Beast, East of the Sun west of the moon and Sleeping Beauty (at the end). What I like about this story is that it starts, where every story ends (the wedding). A beautiful story of fighting for true love and again a story in which the prince is the damsel in distress! Wonderful!
Jessica Marcum
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Picture Book: This story is kind of a "Beauty and the Beast" type. It is about a lady who falls in love with a lion who is a Prince at Night. After he is turned into a dove the Lady follows him around for years and then has to fight to win him back from the Sorceress. I thought it was a beautiful love story. I also thought the illustrations were intricate and beautiful!
Elizabeth Heath
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Traditional Fantasy- This retell of Beauty and the Beast is about a lady who falls in love with a lion and ends up having to search all over the world for him. An evil enchantress captures him and the story is about the battle between her and the lady to win him back.
Kaethe Douglas
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. The paintings here are breath-taking. Every time I turned the page, I gave a little involuntary gasp. The story is pretty standard fairy tale, less appealing than Ogburn's original stories. But the art has got to be seen.
Kim
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Laurel Long's illustrations are gorgeous! And since "The Lady and the Lion" is a variation of "Beauty and the Beast" and/or "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" that I've never encountered before, I can forgive the somewhat bland storytelling.
Dianna
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The illustrations are incredible, and the story is excellent as well. At first I thought it was Beauty and the Beast, because it started out the same, but it turned out to be very different after the first few pages. Highly recommended!
Krisette Spangler
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The Lady and the Lion is one of those rare children's books, where the illustrations are just as wonderful as the story. I'm definitely adding this one to my personal library.
Danica Midlil
I love that the pictures are reminiscent of India.
Sara
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Compelling and beautiful. My 5 year old and I were lost in it's beauty until the end. The virtue of The Lady is a wonderful example for children.
Polly
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book has the most beautiful art work I have seen in a long time. We checked in out of the library but plan to purchase it to add to our collection of special books.
Becca
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Absolutely gorgeous and sumptuously illustrated fairy tale, with a lithe and loving lady hero.
Brook