Start by marking “Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)” as Want to Read:
Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)

Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper #6)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,793 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Jacob Chandler knew everything about Benni Harper, and in his house were pieces of her life: a hand-carved statue of her childhood horse and a scrapbook of newspaper clippings that covered her work, her marriages, and the death of her first husband. And when Jacob Chandler died, he left his home in Morro Bay and all its contents to Benni - the only stipulation being that B ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Berkley Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mariner's Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mariner's Compass

Betty
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this the first time several years ago. Earlene Fowler is one of my favorite authors. This book is one of my to books to relax. Bernie is surprise to receive an inheritance from someone she doesn't know; the will requires her to spend 2 weeks in the house. As begins her time she finds a dog who seems to know her. Bernie discovers a scrapbook with all the stories about her life. Grandma is holding the historical society hostage to save it. Bernie spends the days learning who the man was and ...more
Sabine
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-books
Benni hat geerbt - und keine Ahnung, wer dieser mysteriöse Jacob Chandler ist, der ihr einfach so sein Haus und sein ganzes Hab und Gut vermacht hat. Sein Haus in Marino Bay, nur wenige Kilometer von San Celina entfernt, scheint viel wert zu sein, doch die Erbschaft ist mit einer Bedingung verknüpft: Benni erbt nur, wenn sie zwei Wochen in diesem Haus verbringt - allein.

Natürlich ist klar, dass Gabe diese Bedingung überhaupt nicht schmeckt und er möchte, dass Benni verzichtet. Sollte sie das abe
Charlyn
When Jacob Chandler died, his single heir was Benni Harper. Except that Benni has no idea who Chandler is or why he left everything to her. With the inheritance comes the stipulation that Benni must live alone in Chandler's home for two weeks. Neither Benni nor her husband Gabe are happy about the condition, but Benni can't leave either the mystery of who this man is or the inheritance that might finally get her the new Chevy truck she wants.

Once in the house, the mystery deepens as Chandler, k
Sue
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benni receives a mysterious bequest from a dead stranger: stay in his home alone for two weeks and inherit his entire estate. The home is 12 miles away in Morro Bay and as she stays in the home she is led on a scavenger hunt to find the true identity of the late Jacob Chandler. His identity was an easy guess at the beginning from the foreshadowing that's gone on in the previous books, but the trail of obscure clues was fun to follow with Benni as things became more strange and dangerous. She is ...more
Jim
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I purchased this book at a local used bookstore without knowing much about it. The title "Mariner's Compass" caught my eye. In my work as a land surveyor, a compass is something I use almost every day and I liked the broader implications of a compass, something you can trust to point you in the right direction.

As I read the book, I discovered the mariner's compass the author refers to is a quilting design based on the compass rose pattern seen on the face of many compasses, not an actual compass
Michele
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book itself wasn't amazing. It was very good. However, for me, it was amazing. The series is set in San Celinas, California. The students from Cal Poly interact with the cattle farmers in a relatively smallish town in the Central Coast of California. Okay, no big deal. San Simeon is not too far away. Again, no big deal. In this particular story, however, they go to Morro Bay and see Morro Rock. Back in San Celinas, they walk by the Gum Wall. The fictional town of San Celinas is actually San ...more
Jenny
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't see the ending coming on this one! I actually really liked this installment of Benni Harper - she and Gabe had some stupid fights in the beginning but they sorted it out. (view spoiler) ...more
Diane
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was asked, “What book did you read in one afternoon? “ Mariner’s Compass by author Earlene Fowler. I started reading and did not stop until a few hours later I was at the end, but wanting to read more! Mariner’s Compass is the 5th or 6th book in this series and one of the best, I thought. Benni learns of a very strange inheritance from a person she does not know. There are stipulations to the will- she must stay in the house alone for two weeks as she searches for clues left by the previous ow ...more
George
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Benni Harper California rancher mystery series set in ranch country in the Coastal Mountains in the Santa Barbara area. Someone Benni doesn't know dies and leaves his whole estate to her with the condition that she lives for 2 weeks in his home in Moor Bay about 20 miles away from where Benni lives. This starts Benni on a quest to discover who he was and how she she is connected to him.

Toss in the at times strained relationship between Benni and her husband Gabe, the chief of police, c
Lori Limberger
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shannon Dykes
Felicia
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
"In an instant, your life is forever altered and you think the rest of your days will become an agonizing before-and-after until you realize from the measured, thoughtful perch of old age that life is simply a series of befores and afters, a long line of them and each one can either harden your heart to sunbaked leather or turn it pliable and welcoming, into an organ of infinite capabilities, a dwelling place for compassion, a vehicle for grace."

Excellent mystery! The setting makes me homesick f
❂ Jennifer
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was one of those mysteries that don't involve a dead body - or at least a murdered one, and it involved a bit of a scavenger hunt. I really like this series and this book didn't disappoint. The scavenger hunt part of the story kept losing my interest, I think, because she spaced the steps so far apart, with lots of other action in between. Normally I really get into hunts like that. Dove was a hoot, and the highlight of this particular story for me, although I always enjoy the interaction b ...more
Rachel
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
When the blurbs indicate that a book is both a western and a mystery, I get prepared for a rather mediocre story and characters, but I was happily surprised with the books in this series that I've read. The characters were interesting and well drawn out, and the plots were intriguing as well as amusing. Also, just because the stories take place in the west with ranches and deserts nearby, that doesn't mean it is a western, which generally contains a whole bunch of stereotypical cowboy, black hat ...more
Cindy
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best of the series so far. This is a mystery from the past that effects the present. Will Benni be able to discover why Jacob Chandler left her his estate? This unknown man is having a great influence on her life and her marriage to Gabe. You could read this book without starting at the beginning of the series, but the past history will help to understand the relationships among the characters.
K. East
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done mystery. I can see why Fowler has won several Agatha Awards for Best Mystery. The premise was interesting, the mystery engaging and the "threats" to the main character fairly mild. I have too active an imagination to find much entertainment in the current genre of highly suspenseful, often very gruesome murder mysteries. Not as much about quilting as I might have liked, but he mystery was good enough to search out more in the series.
Sheryl
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favorite so far. It was a different mystery for her and let us in a little more on the characters. These books are like a television series. You don't need to read them in order, but if you do, you understand them as well as the characters a lot more so I have gone back and am trying to read them in order. In this book Benni inherits a home from a man she has never heard of before so the mystery is to discover why this man would leave everything to her. I enjoyed it.
Pat Jennings
Benni Harper, protagonist, is notified by her attorney that she is the recipient of an estate of a man she does not even know. So, this fun read revolves around finding out who this man is, how he knows of her, and last but not least, why is he leaving her his estate?
I usually read a "hard" book and an "easy" book at the same time. I consider this a cozy easy mystery.
There is always a quilting motif involved in this series.
Emily Cullen
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Museum curator and part-time cowgirl Benni Harper is stunned when she is named the sole heir of a man whom she doesn't know. To receive the inheritance Benni must spend two weeks in the dead man's home where he has left a series of clues as to his identity. I think this might be my favorite book in this cozy mystery series yet. The mystery really kept me guessing and I am going to order the next one from the library right now!
Becky Galambos
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread November 2014
This is one of the most interesting books in the Benni Harper series. It really keeps you guessing until the last minute to find out what is really going on. Plus this book brings in one of my favorite characters, scout the lab-shepherd mix.
Kieraanne
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
I like this book in the series because it is a different type of mystery than the other books. I like how Benni gets to know a little more about her mother and family. I like how much she and Gabe miss each other while they're apart and I like getting to see a different town.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, cozy
Benni Harper lives an interesting life in southern California running a quilting museum and helping her husband Gabe in the various crimes he solves. Her family keeps the story going and adds texture to the series. She includes a quilt block pattern as well. Good cozy read. This is book 6.
Lisa
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the best of books I've read by this author. Most of her books are amusing enough for a light read, but they aren't well-written. This one actually had more of a linear plot and some character development.
Donna
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Benni inherits a house from a man she has never met. She has to stay in his house according to his will for 2 weeks. During that time she discovers who Jake was and how he "fits" into her life. Of course, there are always roadblocks along the way.
Karol
This was a rare re-read for me. I first read this story 4 years ago and loved it then. Recently, I decided to read the entire series from beginning to end, and now reached this novel for the second time. I loved the story even more, reading it in context within the series.
Joan M
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it very much. I loved the quilting references and the "food" references were also educational. The story was realistic, and the dialogue witty and fun. Entertaining with a few pearls of wisdom to make the time well spent.
Kitty Tomlinson
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Benni Harper journeys to Morro Bay to claim an inheritance from Jacob Chandler, a man she does not know, and embarks on a baffling hunt for clues to the mysteries of the past.
Kira
Some steamy stuff
Michelle Murray
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think the best book she has written - Love Benni Harper and the quilting aspects
Susy Skidmore
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Earlene Fowler book to date. This one had a different sort of mystery to figure out, and I could hardly put it down. A+!
  • Framed in Lace (A Needlecraft Mystery, #2)
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • Anne Perry's Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning / A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #5-6)
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Mistletoe Man (China Bayles, #9)
Earlene Fowler was raised in La Puente, California, by a Southern mother and a Western father. She lives in Southern California with her husband, Allen, a purple pickup truck, and many pairs of cowboy boots. She is currently working on the next Benni Harper mystery.

Series:
* Benni Harper Mysteries
* Love Mercy Johnson Mystery
More about Earlene Fowler...

Benni Harper (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fool's Puzzle (Benni Harper, #1)
  • Irish Chain (Benni Harper, #2)
  • Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)
  • Goose in the Pond (Benni Harper, #4)
  • Dove in the Window (Benni Harper, #5)
  • Seven Sisters (Benni Harper, #7)
  • Arkansas Traveler (Benni Harper, #8)
  • Steps to the Altar (Benni Harper, #9)
  • Sunshine and Shadow (Benni Harper, #10)
  • Broken Dishes (Benni Harper, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99