Start by marking “Painter and Ugly” as Want to Read:
Painter and Ugly

Painter and Ugly

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Painter and Ugly are best friends. They run together, they swim together, they eat out of the same dinner bowls. When one calls out, "Yip," the other answers back. They are inseparable! That is, until they are forced apart and put on two different teams for the junior Iditarod. But nothing can keep them apart. When during the race Painter finds a boy musher alone, stranded ...more
Published January 20th 2011 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Painter and Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painter and Ugly

Candice
This was an adorable tale of two dear friends-pups that are sled dogs. They live in the deep cold, do all their activities together, and then are separated. They train for the Jr Iditarod race, and in that training, find sadness at being separated. As they start the race Painter smells Ugly's scent, and then the hunt is on to find one another. Amongst some other circumstances they are brought back together, and together they win the great race, as best friends. The illustrations are amazing. Ver ...more
Sandie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a story about two canine friends on a dog sled team that was racing in the junior iditerod in Alaska. I was a little sad about how the dogs ended up torn apart the way they were and a little confused as to why it happened, but I think that was my adult mind wanting to know why. My daughter sat paying close attention through the whole story and looking at the great pictures without questioning why it happened at all.

The writer explains how he came up with the idea for the story at the e
Mads Whitmarsh
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was somehow narratively unsatisfying. Perhaps it was something in the perspective - the dogs's - since they, being dogs, would not care about the whys of the turning point in their story. As a human reader, I did care, and my questions weren't ever answered. The endnote, too, irked me, since it refuted the point of the story entirely.

Though the story itself was lacking, the art was stunning. The paintings are reproduced so nicely you can see the weave of the canvas, and that's pretty neat.
Angie
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Painter and Ugly are best friends and partners on a sled team. They do everything together and can't bare to be apart. Then the team is broken up and sold. Painter and Ugly are lonely without each other. Until the Junior Iditarod Race. They are both lead dogs on their team and are able to race together again.

I really enjoyed this book but it made me sad as well. Painter and Ugly are not kept together forever and the fact that this is semi-based on a true story makes it even sadder. Doesn't make
Charlie
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book that was made in 2011 is one of the best stories I've ever read. Painter and Ugly are two best friends that never want their sides. But one day, something terrible happened. They were going to a sled race and were split up into teams. But they were not on the same team. At the end they finally found each other and the race was a tie. But after that, they never left any of their sides again.
Melissa
I read this one with my 10yo, who was pretty intrigued by the setting, and the reunion of the friends. I thought it was interesting for the arctic details and had a decent plot, but I think what I valued most was the author's note at the end, his discussion of what sparked the idea for the story. I'll try to remember this for elementary school teachers who are looking for writing prompts.
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Painter and Ugly, best friend sled dogs in Alaska, are separated and then reunited during a race. Blake's paintings are well done and capture the feeling and excitement of sled racing. Some simple vocabulary is introduced and the paintings are full of interesting details. A good story for winter, dog sled racing, or friendship themes.
Shelley Daugherty
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful children's book about the Iditarod and a story of friendship that knows no bounds. I was sad to read the author's note that this was based loosely on a true story but he added the what if they did find each other again. Well, here is to what if! Beautifully done Blake!
Mary N
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nyra2013
So many dog stories recommended by kids for NYRA 2013! This one is about two inseparable sled dogs that, one day, are sold to different owners to be trained for the challenging race in Alaska. Illustrations are great -- very realistic!
Mouse Denehy
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoy books about dogsled races. I think I may have watched too much Balto as a kid but anything about huskies is good with me. I love the art and the text placement, they compliment one another well.
Garren
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this sappy, but (1) the brushstrokes-visible paintings are beautiful and (2) after trying this in readaloud, I got the strongest chorus of "that's a good story" "I liked it!" "etc" than I've ever heard. Kids love dogs!
Diane
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
"Nothing can keep two real friends apart."

Two sled dogs are separated onto different teams, but they can't be kept apart. They find each other during the Jr. Iditarod and lead their respective teams through the woods to meet.

Holly Thompson
Another story set with an iditarod theme. This one, though is fiction. I'm glad I read the author's note in the back about where this story came from. I think kids could be inspired to write "what if" stories.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Canine friends are separated and then find each other at the Jr. Iditarod. A heartwarming story dog lovers will find irresistible.
Embrc
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: philomel
I believe this is the third sled dog book by Blake. It's a nice story of the friendship of 2 dogs and the paintings are lovely. A solid purchase if you have fans/interest in your community. AM
Karen Arendt
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Story about junior iditarod.
Bree
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Notes:
Blake is superb at capturing sled dog life in a kid-appealing way
fictional story of two best friend dogs who never want to be apart
Kristen
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Great for dog lovers and those looking for books about the Junior Iditarod.
Jill Vaughan
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
Marianna
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated. A story about the friendship that develops between two dogs.
Jim
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
perfect

nobody paints huskies better than Blake
Donna