Start by marking “Denial: Why Business Leaders Fail to Look Facts in the Face--and What to Do About It” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"Wise. Relevant. Riveting." -Jim Collins, author of Good to Great

Denial is the unconscious belief that a certain fact is too terrible to face and therefore cannot be true. It turns challenges into crises, dilemmas into catastrophes. It's the single greatest obstacle business leaders face.

Now Harvard business School professor Richard S. Tedlow tackles two essential quest
Published February 22nd 2011 by Portfolio (first published January 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Denial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Denial

Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I didn't give it five stars because the book could have provided more action steps for middle managers and senior advisors that help them to deal with denial at the top of the organization.
Href324
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it is the best book ever
Adriaan Jansen
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
In ''Denial'', Richard Tedlow dedicates 1 chapter to light theory of the concept of denial, 9 to company-based case studies, and 1 to final conclusions.

The chapter about theory presents a useful distinction between denial of probabilities and denial of facts. Tedlow then proceeds to separate denial of facts in ''literal denial'' (denial of the facts in themselves) and ''interpretive denial'' (denial of interpretation, e.g. ''this doesn't apply to us'')
An example of denial of probabilities is th
Louis
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can’t deny it, but I enjoyed this book.

Denial
Why Business Leaders Fail to Look Facts in the Face – and What to Do About It.
By Richard S. Tedlow

The author gives us the story of a few key companies and how they went wrong by ignoring facts that were present at the time. This isn’t about a CEO making a choice between two equally good paths and picking the wrong one. This is about a business landscape that is changing, competitors are succeeding, and the underlings in the company call out the tru
Joe Robles
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: executive-shelf
A great book on a psychological problem that afflicts all of us at one time or another, but is really serious when you're the leader of a business: Denial. If you've read Jim Collins' How the mighty Fall, then you may already be familiar with this concept in companies that fail. Tedlow's book expands on the subject of denial, that made up one of the chapters of Collins book. Denial looks at several companies that denied the realty they were in and how it lead to their downfall, and shows those c ...more
Tomoaki
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
It is somewhat different from what I expected to read. I expected the author fully explain the process to reach the denial and how to avoid it, but those were not answered enough in this book and rather he just jump to the word "denial" when it comes to the reason of failure. I wanted specifically what caused the denial and how to prevent it.
Model T is a old story anyway and I did not feel close to the story.What I felt was I was just reading a brief history of companies.
I understood the denial
David Levine
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. I got this after my company fired our division's CEO and his top reports. Having lived through denial at the top, I needed to read about it...
Jaimit Doshi
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, critique
nice and insightful in parts
Effendy Yahaya
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the act of accepting or not of denial existence perhaps to safeguards a leader in decision making. it is crucial if in the state of ignorance.
John Spence