Start by marking “Quicksilver” as Want to Read:
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Hermes—also known as Mercury, Wayfinder, and Prince of Thieves—has many talents. Wearing his famed winged sandals, he does the bidding of his father Zeus, leads the dead down to Hades, and practices his favorite arts of trickery and theft. He also sees the future, travels invisibly, loves jokes, and abhors violence. And he’s an entertaining and ideal narrator on a ...more
Published December 12th 2006 by Laurel Leaf (first published April 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Quicksilver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quicksilver

Start your review of Quicksilver
Brie
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Humorous and lighthearted, simple yet clever, this quick read was cute and surprisingly deep. If you need a pick-me-up, this book will do it.

I've always liked Hermes, and when I saw that this would be another humorous mythology story, I eagerly snapped it up. It is in fact a seamless collection of myths Hermes is involved in.
- Hades and Persephone
- Perseus and Medusa
- Perseus and Andromeda
- Paris, the Trojan War, and Calypso

He is the narrator and each separate section brings more and more out
Terry
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Meh. This book is the equivalent of calling someone you meet 'nice.' Nothing's wrong, but nothing stands out. It's split into 5 episodes all narrated by Hermes--there's the Persephone/Hades story, Perseus vs. Medusa, Paris and the golden apple, retrieving Hector's body, and Odysseus and Calypso. Getting inside Hermes' head to see these events would be a great way for anyone unfamiliar with the myths to access and understand them. It did make me feel closer to the stories than when I read more ...more
Alydiah K♡
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Talks about Hades.. A LOT
Laney
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Greek Geek over the age of 11
Everything from the first paragraph to the ending word was a hilarious and enchanting tale. The first paragraph goes like this...

"It's dark and gloomy, and it smells like dead sheep, but when Zeus says go to Hell, I go. The Lord of All Creation is not a Patient deity. Have you ever seen his hands clench and unclench when he's kept waiting? I call it the Thunderbolt Reflex. Best not trigger it is my advice, unless you long to burst into flames and explode.
I do not." (Quiver by Stephanie Spinner,
Ken
Jan 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished-in-2008, ya
Bleh. Episodic retread of Greek myths where Hermes is involved. Fairly shallow, even for YA. Hard to get excited about any characters, sketchy plots, and the tired rehashings which are served up separately and kept lukewarm under the heating lamp. Might be enjoyed by kids who really like Greek mythology, but I think the old stories themselves are preferable to this "cover."
Amy
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read. Good introduction to or review of Greek mythology.

Using it for summer reading.
Macco Dreher
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started reading Quicksilver by Stephanie Spinner, I felt like I already knew the main character. The way this character is written is fascinating as he is an eternal Greek God, but he has the personality of a rebellious teenager.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An alternate side of mythology is masterly shown in this stunning novel by Spinner. With new light on a lesser known myth, it's one that will have you begging for more.
Ricki
Dec 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this a few years ago, but I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Greek mythology. It is very humorous and makes Greek mythology enjoyable and fun to learn about.
Katelin Rice
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I taught this book to my eighth graders this year, and It honestly wasn't my favorite. I understood what was trying to e accomplished with it, by incorporating mythology. A lot of my students liked the mythology aspect of it. The general action of the book wasn't bad. It's nice because it isn't a high Lexile level, and lower level readers can keep up, but it also incorporates advanced vocabulary. However, I just didn't enjoy the story. I thought too much happened and too much happened and it was ...more
Shavon Brown
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hermes is a the God of mischief and devoted son to Zeus. In this collection of stories we see his role in some of our favorite stories.

He help broker peace between Hades and Demeter after the kidnapping and marraige to Persephone.

He helped pick Paris to judge the beauty contest to start the Trojan War.

He fell in love with Calypso and helped her forget Odysseus.

Some of your favorite myths and stories retold from Hermes point of view, an overlooked God with a heart of gold.
Bee
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this retelling of Hermes’s part in some of the biggest Stories in Greek Mythology. The sense of humour was witty and fresh and made me giggle and laugh multiple times.
The story didn’t go into depth as much as I had expected it, and gave more of an overview of events sometimes. However, that narration style fit the light tone of the protagonist himself, who’s known to be more on the funny, easy-going side. It also made it an easy, fun read.
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great YA/Greek myth merge! It was fun. I love hearing the stories of familiar myths from a single point of view. And the voice of Hermes is fantastic! I'd love to hear him narrate other stories. Easy read. Worth it!
Klatchiancoffee
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lighthearted clever romp with Hermes to Hades's underworld, Medusa's cave, the Trojan war, and Calypso's ocean's navel - I would have loved to see a segment on Circe at Aiaia and this collection of stories would have been perfect (Madeline Miller meets Stephanie Spinner)!
Melissa
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice, enjoyable read
Gillian
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very fun angle on some very old stories.
Tessy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The stories of Hermes, Greek god of thievery and travels, in a closer narrative, gives light to the famous names of Greek mythology.
Aleah
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of Hermes (the god of Greek mythology) adventures. It's a nice quick read for anyone interested in reading Greek mythology
Valarie
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Super quick read, and perfect for the Riordan fan who needs something to read while they wait for the next one.
Kim
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
When I was in the fifth grade, my teacher assigned us to read a book on Greek mythology, and that assignment literally changed my life. Back when I was ten, one of my favorite myths was the story of how Hermes, the trickster god, stole 50 cattle from Apollo when he was only one day old. Apollo was a favorite deity as well, but to a kid, the story of an innocent baby stealing from a grown up and getting off scot-free is wonderfully subversive. . .and silly as all get-out, of course.

The problem
Kevin
Apr 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Much like Quiver, Quicksilver by Stephanie Spinner is a retelling of various Greek Myths in the form of a young adult novel. This time the central character is Hermes.

Quicksilver starts out rather lightheartedly as Hermes runs various errands for his father Zeus and cracks jokes along the way. It takes a darker turn when discussing the Trojan war, but soon returns to happier times as it tells of his falling in love with Calypso.

As I noted with Quiver, these books are interesting and
Fairley Lloyd
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

I love Greek mythology; it’s one of my obsessions. So when I discovered “Quicksilver”, I immediately wanted to read it. And when I read it, I fell in love with it as quickly as Hermes can travel himself. I already expected to like the book—to really like it—but that’s not always the case. Fortunately, though, it was with this book.

One of the book’s greatest strength is in the narrator himself. Hermes is such an entertaining storyteller who adds a lot of humor and wit to the myths. But he also
Julie Rimpula
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
QUICKSILVER is a collection of some of the popular Greek legends that we are so familiar with, but given with a fresh attack because they’re told from the point of view of Hermes, God of Travelers and Mischief. I liked this book because in other stories, Hermes was often in the sidelines – the spotlight being taken by more popular gods and goddesses – but in QUICKSILVER, I didn’t only get to know him better; I was inside his head. I appreciated him more as I discovered that although he likes to ...more
Collin
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
First read: January 30, 2012
Second read: July 5, 2016

Quicksilver is a pleasantly brief little novelette about Hermes, my favorite Greek god. With the exception of maybe Dionysus, no Greek god intrigues me as much as Hermes, and there are so few stories with him taking a stage center role, much less as one with him as THE main character. But this book exists to rectify that.

Like I said, it's really short. It took me well under two hours to finish. The few myths are briefly told, without too much
MintChocolateLeaves
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads, reviewed
As a big fan of Greek mythology this book really made my smile. The God of messengers (and of thievery) Hermes is the protagonist, and has to deal with several 'missions' that he is given.

The first mission introduces the love story between Persephone (Kore) and Hades, where Zeus orders Hermes to return her home or else Demeter will let all of the plants die.

Another mission he goes on is to ensure Perseus kills Medusa. We all know this myth - or rather, many greek mythology fans like myself know
Jessica-Robyn
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-ya
Quicksilver first caught my attention when I was making a list of books recommended by the ALA for Young Adult readers. I was still new the YA section of the library and didn't know my way around, but Quicksilver seemed like a good place to start.

Here we have a story about the Greek god Hermes. Hermes has always been a favourite of mine when it comes to Greek mythology, but so often he gets pushed aside for the more scandalous Olympian gods. This story was easy to read and enjoyable. What makes
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having seen the movie "Clash of the Titans" many times in my younger days, Disney's "Hercules", and lately "Troy" starring Brad Pitt, I knew two of the movie-versions of the short stories in Quicksilver. I have always been a fan of Greek Mythology and love all of the gods.

What Stephanie Spinner does in Quicksilver is quite amazing. She brings them to life and makes them seem quite human, which they were. They were quick to anger and enacted horrendous revenge upon those that spurned them. They
Nix
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of retellings
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
I really liked how Hermes had some views that changed over time. Gods don't usually do that. Because, they're immortal and all that. But I liked this retelling. And Hermes is great. He's got a touch of humor, but he was still serious enough for me to take his change and maturation seriously.

I was not entirely convinced, though, of his love for Calypso. Not that I didn't believe he was in love, I just didn't really see it coming. I mean, he'd admired women over the course of the book, so I
Barb Middleton
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Hermes is the wise-cracking messenger god in Greek mythology. He can make Zeus laugh as well as the people that he ferries to the dead in the underworld. He helps Perseus slay Medusa, Persephone spend time with her mom, is involved in the Trojan War, and gets Odysseus released from Calypso.

The author covers a lot of ground with all these stories. Some will like it and some will not. I didn’t like it. Hermes never comes alive for me. It felt like the quick tour through Greek mythology. It was
Ratforce
Stephanie Spinner has written a handful of books centered on Greek mythology. You may wish to start with the earliest, Quicksilver, but for a story centering on a strong young woman, try Quiver.

If you enjoyed the mythology in the Percy Jackson series, then you might want to give Stephanie Spinner a try. Quicksilver explores many stories from mythology, and is a fun and adventurous read.

If you enjoy Rick Riordan’s writing, you may also enjoy Stephanie Spinner’s mythological novels. Quicksilver is
« previous 1 3 next »

• Abandon (Abandon, #1)
  • Guts
  • As Old As Time (Twisted Tales #3)
  • Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • The Dire King (Jackaby, #4)
  • In the Neighborhood of True
  • Summer Bird Blue
  • Ayiti
  • The Museum of Intangible Things
  • Percy Jackson & the Olympians:  The Ultimate Guide
  • Galatea
  • Underworld (Abandon, #2)
  • Awaken (Abandon, #3)
  • Look Closer
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)
I was born in Davenport, Iowa, and grew up in Rockaway Beach, New York. I read straight through my childhood, with breaks for food, sleep, and the bathroom. I went to college in Bennington, Vermont, moved to New York City, and took a job in publishing so I could get paid for reading. I read so much bad fiction that I needed a break, so I moved to London, and from there I traveled to Morocco, Iran, ...more