Start by marking “Slow Burn (Detective Alec Ramsay Series Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Slow Burn (Detective Alec Ramsay Series Book 2)

Slow Burn (Detective Alec Ramsay #2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  365 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Detective Alec Ramsay Crime Mystery Suspense Series

NOW AVAILABLE IN AUDIO

Reader's Choice Review; The cover and start of this book is slightly deceiving as the main thrust of the story has very little to do with religious terrorism (which I have noticed tends to put some readers off) but is in fact to do with bullying, rape, abuse and revenge. Jones has produced a superb
Published November 6th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Burn

Sam
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Won this through the Goodreads Giveaways.

The cover and start of this book is slightly deceiving as the main thrust of the story has very little to do with religious terrorism (which I have noticed tends to put some readers off) but is in fact to do with bullying, rape, abuse and revenge. Jones has produced a superb book that is fast paced and keeps you thoroughly interested despite knowing the who and having the why built up throughout rather than finding it all out at the end.

The characters are
Annette
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in two sittings. What a brilliant story, at first I thought oh no a book about terrorism but that's just a twist at the beginning of the book. The book which is set in and around Liverpool continues with a teenage gang who bully and control anyone that they take a dislike to. They are into drugs sex and violence and two of their horrendous acts come back to haunt them in later life. Conrad Jones has a way of bringing the scenes to life with his graphic descriptions of the violen ...more
Angela
Have won a copy through First Reads (thank you). Will put up a review once I have received and read the book 06/06/2011

3.5 Stars.

I enjoyed reading this book to some extent. The writing in general was good and the plot moved along very nicely.

It was fast-paced and very violent, which I quite like but I know many who wouldn't enjoy reading this. In parts it was disturbing and graphic in its description of violence and I think the level of detail would put many off, but all in all an interesting a
Carl
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, first-reads
I won this book in the First Reads givaway on Goodreads.

This is the first book by Conrad Jones Ive picked up and as such I had no expectations. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Slow Burn moves along at a good pace and during when I wasn't reading it I found myself thinking about the plot and what would happen next. I read this book in 3 sittings, it was easy to get immersed in the plot and the short chapters meant I was more inclined to keep reading just a little more.
Conrad Jones has a
Sally
I Read
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I enjoyed this story, more so at the beginning and the end - because at one point it felt a little like one murder followed another, followed another, with little else - but there was never a moment I felt the plot dragged. The short 'bite-size' chapters definitely benefited the read as you were never bogged down in heavy, long scenes.

There were a couple of times literally just before things happened where I saw it coming and think maybe it would have been even more effective if the lead up had
Carol Peace
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like the cover on this book I felt that it was a book that I would not have picked up to read the blurb on the back or inside. This was my mistake as the book was very much to my taste.
I found it quite disjointed at the beginning which was when it was introducing the characters and it did flip from present day to the 'past'. I did however perservere and it all became clear how they all fit in a little into the book.The bpmbing was there at the front of the book and I expected it to fin
Black Butterfly
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
ORGANIZED CRIME AT IT’S BEST/WORST NO, THEY WERE HORRIBLE. THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN A ROW THAT I’VE READ BY THIS AUTHOR HE SURE HAS A WAY WITH WORDS. HE BLENDS THE PAST WITH THE PRESENT SHOWING THE CAUSE AND EFFECT OF PEOPLE’S ACTIONS SO SMOOTHLY. THIS HAD LOTS OF EDGE OF YOUR SEAT EXCITEMENT AND PLENTY OF GUTS -N-GORE. I LOVED IT!! I HAVE TO TAKE A BREATHER TWO OF THIS SERIES BACK-TO-BACK IS TOO MUCH FOR THIS OLD TICKER. I DO PLAN ON READING MORE I HAVE “CRIMINALLY INSANE” SETTING ON MY KINDL ...more
Danie Cutter
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received through First Reads, will post review shortly.
--------

A thoroughly good read! I read this one very quickly, not quite one sitting but then who can do that with a toddler under foot.

It was just the right mix of gangsters, renegades(?) and detectives AND mixed relevant past (just the right amount rather than overdoing it as most books do) and present to give a great story line.
Just enough detail and information was given at each stage to keep you reading without giving away the entire plo
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Won this book as a Good Reads Giveaway.

I was plesently surpried by this book, I was not sure what to expect at all I have not read any of the other books by Conrad Jones. I found this fast paced and very gripping. A great read. The movement of time zones and Charecter opinion is well done so there is no confusion. Knowing from part way through who the 'bad guys' are does not by any means make you feel finishing is a waste of time either.

All in all I would definatly read another from this series.
Stuart Hargreaves
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I WON THIS BOOK AS A GOOD READ PRIZE. I ENJOYED THE BOOK , ALTHOUGH I PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT IT BECAUSE OF THE COVER HAD THE STAR OF DAVID ON IT. i TEND NOT TO READ BOOKS ABOUT RELIGIOUS TERRORISM.

THIS BOOK WAS COMPELLING AND VERY EASY TO READ, THE PLOT WAS QUITE BELIEVABLE AND ONE IMAGINED ONESELF IN THE SHOES OF ALEC RAMSEY WONDERING WHAT WAS GOING ON AND WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT.

I WOULD SAY YES GIVE IT A TRY YOU WILL ENJOY IT.

Karis
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good book. The plot was good, and the villians characters were well rounded. However, I felt it was let down by the actual detectives. They didnt have much character, and what character they did have was just given to you, rather than subtly conveyed through their words & actions.

For me this book is a 3.5, but with better detective characters I would have rated it a 4. I would probably read it again.
susan murray
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and like the way it went from past to present in the chapters to let you know how it all began.Y ou really cannot wait to find out the outcome of the story which was a thriller from start to finish.It is a must to read for thriller readers.
Jill
Jun 15, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Won Slow Burn as a Goodreads giveaway, have not received it yet.
Clare F
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Great story but scary to think that some people live their lives that way.
Harneet Sangha
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The suspense in this book was great. It was a bit confusing at the start, as the story went from the past to present day quite often, but once you got used to that and started understanding the story line, it became a lot better and easier to read! It was great to see the detectives point of view, as he put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Great read!
J Barkess
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Packaged with the appalling 'the child taker' this was fractionally better but it would be preferable to have all my teeth pulled out than read anything else by this so called writer.
Onnolee Hanna
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read

my mother and friends would like this book
it. was that Good!!! Excellent reading and good plot lots of waiting for what happens next
Olwyn Lacey
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant read as all Conrad Jones are! My favourite Auther!
James Strand
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75
Midnight
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the many reasons I like Conrad Jones’ thrillers is the UK setting and this is a tale based around Liverpool. DS Alec Ramsay and the Major Investigation team are searching for answers after a bomb goes off outside a mosque.

It’s a fast paced story of revenge and retribution, which holds your attention with plenty of twists and turns. Short chapters make for easy reading as the tale bowls along to it’s finale.

Although I got this book as part of a trilogy - the others being The Child Taker an
Craig Pedder
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb book. I'm not a very confident reader but I read this book faster than i have read anything else previously. Despite the lack of suspense and mystery the story line keeps you engaged and thirsty for more right the way through. Even though you knew who was doing what and why it still kept you the edge of your seat.
The story line very rarely loses momentum and remains fast paced throughout. It was very interesting to follow the story through three different view points.
I will a
Grammar*Kitten
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-freebies
Thrilling terrorist plot set in Liverpool, made all the more intriguing by the familiarity of local landmarks. A very well put together story, encompassing how the desire for revenge can grow and fester over years, when the initial reasons for wanting it are long forgotten by the perpetrators. Gangland culture, assassins, bomb-makers and a heart breaking tale of one family who just couldn’t let what happened to destroy them in the past lie.
Woofas
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A three way battle between the police, a gang and a family seeking revenge for crimes committed when they were much younger. The police lack the necessary evidence and witnesses to bring the gang to justice, so it falls to the family to act. Initially the gang disgusts the reader who sympathises with the family, but personally I found their actions becoming more and more abhorrant.
Barry
This was a pleasure to read Conrad Jones easy writing style and his reluctance to overdo back stories and character development made for a fast pace and an easy read .....just what i like in a book so it gets 5 stars.
its a great tale of revenge and i will leave you to enjoy finding out the rest.
Celia Barry
Jun 15, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I eagerly awaited my copy of this book as it looked like it had all of the elements I enjoy in a book. Unfortunately, I never received a copy of it, despite sending several unanswered emails to the author. If I ever do receive the copy, I'll update this review.
Pam
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another edge of the seat book by Conrad Jones, I really enjoy the way his books wind you in until your having trouble breathing, some author's drag there books out, but not these, its a hang on tight roller coaster, a thoroughly great read.
Andrew
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this - pity I had to go back to work after the holidays as it slowed down finishing it. Twists at the end good.
Jack
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Crime thriller with plenty of horrendous violence. Alec Ramsay finds himself dealing with a series of violent deaths, but by who, and why ? Exciting tale, but with some irritating spelling errors.
Andrew Coates
Solid crime drama, only issue was the way the flashbacks happened with no warning, so it was kinda confusing at times. Still pretty good though.
Audiobooks: Audible UK free thriller 1 21 Dec 21, 2014 04:38AM
  • The Moses Legacy
  • The Somali Doctrine
  • Death in Malta
  • The Whipping Club
  • Treasure of Saint-Lazare (Eddie Grant #1)
  • Kill & Cure
  • Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)
  • Devious: A 9th Circle Prequel Short Story
  • Jumble Tales
  • Forex Frontiers "The Essentials of Currency Trading"
  • Last One Chosen
  • Flashback (Saskia Brandt, #2)
  • Departed (A Leopold Blake Thriller, #3)
  • The Bombay Rifleman's Chest
  • Seven Days to Tell You
  • Diamond Bikini
  • 9 Miracles: One Mother's Amazing Journey Home After Seeing Her Son Off to War
  • The Collective
Conrad Jones is a best selling thriller writer with three thriller series published.

The Soft Target Series 6 books

The Detective Alec Ramsay Series 6 books

The Hunting Angels Diaries (horror) 3 books.

11 of his books are available in audio and his novels have been translated into six languages.

He is always keen to talk to readers and writers alike, jonesconrad5@aol.com

Face Book Conrad Jones Author
Tw
More about Conrad Jones...

Detective Alec Ramsay (7 books)
  • The Child Taker (Detective Alec Ramsay, #1)
  • Criminally Insane (Detective Alec Ramsay, #3)
  • Frozen Betrayal (Detective Alec Ramsay, #4)
  • Desolate Sands (Detective Alec Ramsay, #5)
  • Concrete Evidence (Detective Alec Ramsay, #6)
  • Three (Detective Alec Ramsay, #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00