Start by marking “Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas, #1)

Petticoat Ranch

(Lassoed in Texas #1)

Sophie Edwards is doing just fine alone, until a strange-yet oddly familiar-man rides into her life, insisting on rescuing her and her four daughters. Can she find a way to love a headstrong mountain man? When Clay McClellan discovers his brother has been murdered, he's bent on finding the killers and seeing them properly hung. But first his Christian duty demands that he ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Barbour Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Petticoat Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Petticoat Ranch

Margaret Chind
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers of the west
Historical fiction is my favorite Christian fiction genre I believe. It is how I got started reading Christian fiction, one problem with it, is that some how I seem to have started with the best and often have a hard time finding anything that really meets the par. Things are great and enjoyable, but not quite as exciting as those first Liz Curtis Higgs or Tracie Peterson and even Francine Rivers' Redeeming Love. Well, boy is that not the case with Mary Connealy! Welcome to my favorites' she ...more
Brittany
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall this was a fun and lighthearted story that I really enjoyed reading. I liked the marriage of convenience plot and watching as the dynamic of the story shifted as the characters became a family and grew to love each other.

There were quite a few funny moments, especially those that involved the four little girls. Sometimes, the heavy handedness of Clay could be annoying, however, his attitude about women showed the reader how little Clay actually knew about them. He really did have a good
Heidi

Sophie Edwards is recently widowed and now finds herself a single mother doing the impossible. Raising four daughters on her own, in the 1800's, in the state of Texas. She's an amazing mother, and a strong, capable, independent woman. Clay McClellan is on a mission to find his long lost twin brother and instead discovers his brothers widow along with a whole passel of little adorable girls.
This book had one of the most intriguing beginnings of any book I've read in a very long time. I
Katie W
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sophie Edwards is living in Texas, taking care of her four girls on her own in a spunky, creative way. She enters in a marriage of convenience and the hunt is on for some outlaws who are terrorizing the area.

I thought it was a cute story, but it the way Sophie's prayers were heard and answered was very strange. That aside, I'm still smiling about the girls giggling and crying all over their new Pa.
Barbara
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
I’ve never read a book by Mary Connealy before, and after slogging through this western romance, I probably won’t read another.

The book begins by introducing us to Sophie, a widow with four daughters. She hides out in a small run-down shack to avoid the man who killed her husband, Cliff. When another man rides past her shack and over a cliff (!) she and her daughters rescue him. Turns out, he’s Clay, Cliff’s identical twin brother. There’s a thing called willing suspension of disbelief. It doesn
Shannah Mauney
This was probably one of the first Christian Historical Fiction books I ever read, and I've re-read it plenty of times since 2010. Mary Connealy always has me laughing to the point of tears and hanging on the edge of my seat, biting my nails. Overall, if you're looking for an action-packed, faith based, laugh out loud story, look no further than Petticoat Ranch by Mary Connealy. Read my full review: http://faithlovebooks.blogspot.com/20...
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The relationship between Clay and Sophie drove me nuts the whole entire book. The notion that Clay is in charge of Sophie and she has to obey him, and not question anything is absurd. Marriage is equal partnership. That is mainly why I didn't like this book, along with some smaller things.
Aerykah
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! Laughed my head off at the wonderfully hilarious characters. Very enjoyable read!
Carrie Daws
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful read, exactly what I'm coming to expect from the few books I've read of Mary Connealy. It was an interesting turnaround for both main characters--one with no experience with females, one with some negative experience with males. Of course, the timeline shortened dramatically the amount of time both had to make the necessary changes to their hearts and minds, but it is amazing what one can do and how one can change when one determines to live life God's way.

I loved the relationship
Judy Rushing
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I laughed, cried, and sometimes I want to hit the men. It taught how to forgive, to love everybody. I love the girls and their mama but they also how they taught the men that women and young girls can do anything.
Abbie
4.5 stars.

Sophie Edwards has been hiding and living on her own for two years in the thicket. One night a man rides by her home and over a cliff. Seconds before a flash flood threatens to kill her and the mystery rider she and her girls pull the man to safety. As they work to doctor the man up Sophia soon realizes he looks just like her husband. Problem is she buried him herself two years ago!! Clay wakes up and thinks he is surrounded by angels. Soon he finds out that Sophia is his late brother
Ruth
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sophie Edwards is used to taking care of herself and her four daughters after her husband's death. Her constant prayer is, "Help me, Lord" while she does what needs to be done in the small shack they live in. Then one night, a stranger shows up and almost dies. She and the girls rescue him and find out he is Clay McClellan, the twin brother of her deceased husband. Feeling obligated to care for the woman and children his long lost brother left behind, he corners her into marrying him. She puts u ...more
Linda
Linda Bourg
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was a charming story about a woman who was raising her girls alone out on the ranch, Sophie was a very spirited woman, and a woman who knew how to protect and handle her family. Then along came her brother in law Clay ( the twin brother to her deceased husband who was murdered). Both seeking vengeance for Cliff's death and God letting them know vengeance is His alone. I could almost see this as a tv series it would make a good little show. I must say Sophie and her girls showed them men jus ...more
Lydia
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Evelynn
My mom got me hooked on Mary Connealy's books at about age 11 or 12 by handing me this book. To me at that age, it looked huge compared to my Nancy Drew books! But I read it! And I read it again! And I fell in love with Connealy's writing and her stories!

Well, I guess to write a more full review, I'm gonna have to read the book again! What a shame! ;D

Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a Christiam romance novel based in Texas in the late 1800's. It's about a woman who saves a man's life who happens to be her dead husband's twin brother. They end up being forced to marry and the rest of the book is them working out their differences and not being killed by some outlaws who want their ranch. I really enjoyed reading this one.
Pepper Basham
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, hilarious - I've read it four times....and I'll read it again. The entire tete-a-tete relationship between strong-willed men and women take place in Mary Connealy's books and it's a wonderful ride.
Patty Rude
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love all o Mary Connealy's books that I have read. Great humor in them that you don't often find in nspirational fiction.
SheLove2Read
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really really good!
Virginia
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is fun to read and it's so funny!!
Donald Parker
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Great humor and plot. If you like westerns and laughing, this one is a great read.
Tonileg
Clean Historical Western (set in Texas) with christian themes but very violent and deals with adult topics of murder, violence and revenge.
Sophie Edwards is surviving in the difficult situation, but one good act saves her family from poverty and gives her a second chance with marriage and love when her secret dead husband's identical twin shows up in town looking for her and searching for the truth about the death of his brother. I liked Clay McClellan even though he had a clear Achilles's heel
Debbie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, romance
I think this book was meant to be historical romantic comedy, but apparently I don't share the author's sense of humor. It just struck me as...odd. We start the story with the slowest "flash flood" ever as the heroine saves a man that happens to look exactly like her dead husband. We have a series of misunderstanding based on people assuming things (like that the other person can read their mind) which are supposed to be funny. And we have running gags like a scarf that smells strongly of donkey ...more
Taylor Jaxon
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from the start.

This book is written in deep point of view. The story is shown action by action with very little telling, so the reader experiences everything the characters do. And there is tons of non-stop action in this book. The characters are well-rounded with some likable and others detestable. I loved that Sophie was feisty and could take care of herself on the frontier . Plus she taught her girls how to survive as well. And the enjoyable parts for me were the smattering of hu
Erica Elwell
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a sweet and well written romance with enough suspense to keep you reading. The characters are great (especially the strong female characters -even the young girls). The way God is worked into the story is very well done and believable and not hard handed like some Christian books can be.

What I really liked about this book was how the narration went between the two main characters in such a fun ways. Often times their thoughts were the exact opposite and it was fun to read!
Jeene Hobbs
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God helps those who help themselves

A meditation on Vengeance, lies, and God’s true love wrapped up in a humor-filled story of mistaken identity and misunderstandings about Women and marriage. This is the most unusual Christian historical romance I have ever read.

“I don’t reckon men are supposed to think,” Sally said philosophically, as the pile of hemp rope grew at her feet. “That’s why God gave ’em big muscles.”

Brook Reader
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Texan Loved It.

I voluntarily chose to review this story.
Fits right into what I was tought all my Texas life.
Always believe in and follow the Lord.
The one person you depend on most is yourself.
Love, Laugh and Teach your children to pray.
I laughed and loved this one...
I will be reading others by Mary Connealy.
Elaina
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a good clean book! Gets your attention on the first page and keeps it. I love how sassy the and bright the mom is and how she teaches her girls to be tough and safe in situations. It's fun to watch how things go with the Sophie and the way she gets a husband names Clay. You will have to read it find out the adventure, the sassiness and the way they get the bad guys. On to the next book!
Shari
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just like all of Mary Connealy books, this one was so good. The only problem I had with this book is the same as I always do, 350 pages, and it goes by too quickly. I read them in a day because they are so good.

In typical fashion, it was a delightfully good page turning book!
  • Leather and Lace (Texas Legacy #1)
  • The Bride Blunder (Prairie Promises, #3)
  • That Certain Spark (Only in Gooding, #4)
  • The Anonymous Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #1)
  • The Maverick (Men of the Saddle #3)
  • A Lady Like Sarah (A Rocky Creek Romance, #1)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • California Chances (California Chances, #1-3)
Mary Connealy writes romantic comedy with cowboys always with a strong suspense thread. She is a two time Carol Award winner, and a Rita, Christy and Inspirational Reader's Choice finalist.
She is the bestselling author of 48 books and novellas.
Her most recent three book series are: Cimarron Legacy, Wild at Heart, Trouble in Texas, Kincaid Bride for Bethany House Publishing. She’s also written fo

Lassoed in Texas (3 books)
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
  • Gingham Mountain (Lassoed in Texas, #3)
“Of course she'd told him she would, but if the man hadn't registered her sarcasm, then he wasn't making full use of his ears.” 24 likes
“To my way of thinking, no one can live in the grandest cathedral on earth, the Rocky Mountains, and not know that there's someone bigger than man in charge of the world.” 19 likes