Start by marking “One True Love” as Want to Read:

One True Love

She Walked Back into His Life...The last place Lisa Alvarez expected to find herself was babysitting for her ex-sister-in-law's three rambunctious kids. But when Maggie called her up and begged for time alone, something in Lisa made her say yes--for one weekend she'd leave behind the career she'd built and her regimented new fiance. But Lisa never expected her handsome ex- ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about One True Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One True Love

Start your review of One True Love
KarenH
Straight up...this book deals with the death of a child; and, although it occurs several years before the story begins, there are a few flashbacks to when it actually happened. This is simply a heads-up for those of you who do not feel comfortable reading a romance novel that employs this subject matter.

Lisa Alvarez is getting married again. Her fiance is her boss...a solid, hard-working businessman 22 years her senior. True, she never knew her father; but she is not seeking a father figure in R
Beth
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting Second Chance Romance with Such a Positive Message

A friend recommended me One True Love by Barbara Freethy, and I expected to enjoy it, but I didn't expect an emotional and beautiful gem written in multiple POVs with a secondary romance that was just as engaging as the main couple!

One True Love is about Lisa and Nick, who were married at one time, and now are leading very different lives. They lost a child together and neither has been able to come to terms with that loss fully. They a
Nenette
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit...romance is one of my favorite genre.  No matter that the plot is predictable, I still love them.  They're sometimes a bit too mushy for my taste, but so long as they don't go too far beyond my limit, I still love them.  They're easy to read, and best of all, they've either for the tug-of-the-heart or squirm-in-your-seat factor.  I love some tugging and squirming.

This novel has actually two parallel love stories.  Though it was clearly Lisa's and Nick's primarily, for me it was equally
Pamela
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Lisa's ex sister in law called her to come watch her 3 kids for a few days. Maggie really needed a break to refresh and wanted to chase down a woman that wrote her deceased husband Keith a letter. Lisa really had a lot to do with only a few weeks left until she was to get married but felt she had to do this for her. While babysitting the kids her ex husband Nick shows up since one of the kids called and said Lisa needed help. She really would like Nick to just leave but he won't. Once they both ...more
Beverly Warembourg
Jul 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I tried and tried to like this book, but after reading 56% of the book I just couldn't do it anymore. I didn't like the way any of the characters interacted with each other and I didn't like that there were basically 2 main stories and 1 minor story going on....every time it would get good with one set of characters it would switch to the other story line...AAAAGGGGGHHH Pick one already!!

It's definitely a depature from the Christian romances I tend to read. There wasn't explicit sexual talk, but
Des
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my feel good reads. Of course I'm one of those hopeless romantics. And I still believe fairytales of different stories still do come true.
Trude
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a beautiful second chance love story
Noelle
This is the first book by Barbara Freethy that I have read, though this one fell a bit flat for me I will give her another try.

Lisa (h) comes back to San Diego after her best friend and ex sister- in- law calls in a favor. While she's there helping watch her nieces and newphew she hopes to excape with ever having to see her ex husband Nick (H).

Nick, after reciving a frantic phone call from his 13 year old neice saying that Aunt Lisa needed help watching her and her siblings, goes over to see wha
Anna
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good old sappy romance which guarantees a having nice time.

It involves six people: Nick and Lisa, who divorced eight yeas ago; Raymond (Lisa’s fiancee), Beverly (Raymond’s competitor an adult woman), Maggie (a widow and mother of three children), and Jeremy (a writer that will help Maggie to solve a mystery). Not all of them are equally well-drawn, but the characters are lovable and the plot engaging. There is also a pinc of magic realism (involving a Robin) that I loved.

While I usual
Anna Erb
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really glad I read this book. I liked the characters overall and the story was very touching. I didn't give it the full five stars because of a couple of reasons:

- The main character Lisa was way to conflicted at times.
- The possibility that Keith was alive distracted from the main characters.
- The hint of magic throughout the book also distracted from the story.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I would recommend it to people if they understand grief and are romantics.
Suzanne
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think Barbara Freethy books can't impress me more than they already have I read One True Love.My name is Suzanne. I live close to the Indianapolis 500.Barbara Freethy has a character named Suzanne in this book and she made a reference to the Indianapolis 500.I keep changing my favorite book ever and they're always a Barbara Freethy book.If you're not reading Barbara Freethy books then what are you waiting for?
VLynch
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
The story of this book was good, I liked the characters and the situation that brings the characters together. However, the book was not formatted correctly and I had more than 20 different issues with sentences not matching page to page and feeling like a few sentences were missing. I found this quite frustrating.
TMClark
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read of Freethy's and not something I would normally run to but, it was on the Kindle Free 100 list. So, I figured, what the heck. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, albeit slightly predictable.
Erin
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable! There were quite a few bad typos, but nothing that made it confusing. But, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Joy
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute. Typical chick lit but it was a touch more real. There was real pain and real sweetness in it.
Cruth
Author: Barbara Freethy
First published: 2011
Length: 4420 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Various places around US including San Diego and LA.
Sex: Explicit. Infrequent.
Hero: Makes furniture
Heroine: Copy Writer
Trigger: Sudden Infant Death
Note: Cheating
Includes: So This is Love

A lot of heart strings very deliberately pulled.

A thoughtful story of second chance and dealing with loss with the death of a baby and the death of a partner.

Do I believe in it? I’m not sure. Two very rapid HEAs. And,
Ellen White
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ONE TRUE LOVE written in 2011, a timeless story once again by Barbara Freethy. Lisa preparing for her wedding, a package comes, contents reveals memories that haven't healed. A note from mother who believes in magic, to come home. Living in Los Angeles, her heritage of black hair and blue eyes she blends in. A phone call from her ex sister in law and she's saying yes to babysitting 3 kids for a weekend. What is she thinking, she was someone who changed jobs, apartments, being detached for 8 year ...more
Brandi Sartin lawrence
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have tissues ready and a lot of them! This was a great book and an emotional roller coaster. At times you're laughing then crying then smiling. So much happens in the story and it goes between 4 main characters, that you can't put the book down because you just have to know. And when you get to a spot that you think you will get answers it changes to a different character-so you have to keep reading to get to the other character so you know what happened and then it happens with the current char ...more
Nancy Luebke
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this romance a little hard to get into but once I did, I enjoyed it. I received this book for free and voluntarily chose to review. I've given this a 4* rating. This story was woven around two women, who grew up friends and are reconnected in this story. There is a lot of woundedness in these characters and a lot of healing too.There are several twists and turns along the way. A real interesting ending.
Sally Stackhouse
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well written book which flows nicely. Lisa and Nick divorced after a tragedy, rebuilding their lives in different ways. Nick’s sister, Maggie, recently widowed with three children calls on Lisa to look after them while she has some time away.

Can these three people, Nick, Lisa and Maggie, make peace with what has happened in their lives?

This is a novel that gives us a few ups and downs coupled with feelings that have not yet been addressed.

A good read.
Linda Zelinsky
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very emotional and beautiful story. Lisa, Nick and Maggie’s stories were a joy to read. Lisa and Nick know in themselves that they bel9nged together but we’re both afraid to reAlize it. Maggie’s search for questions to her life bring Nick and Lisa together to realize what is really important in their lives. A fantastic story Barbara and I highly recommend reading this story.
Cathy Egan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters

This is definitely a sappy love story, but it had enough mystery in it to keep me interested. I didn't want to put it down. Loved all the characters and story lines. Couldn't wait to see how it all turned out. Love Barbara Freethy's writing style!!!
Nancy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One True Love

This was a good book how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting.I look forward to reading more of this author's work.I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Mary
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

Some how I missed this one when it first came out. I love all of Barbara's books and this one was no different. Be ready with a Kleenex as well as laughing hard.
Nancy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cheesy predictable and I loved it!!
Tiffany
Good story with second chances.
Iluvbooks44
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book!!!

I love Barbara’s books, she is one of my favourite authors.

I loved this book from start to finish.

I love the characters and the story.
Jeanette
Good beach read

A pretty good romance, typical of this author. Nothing too complicated but a good easy read. I need 4 more words?
JOCA
Apr 23, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
Too many POV characters made it difficult to connect with the hero and heroine. DNF.
Juliewheatcox.Net
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There’s never a dull moment in the family drama/adventure/romance. The bonus is there are two romances in addition to the main one, with another possible one in the works.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Beekeeper's Ball (Bella Vista Chronicles, #2)
  • Nothing Stays In Vegas (Vegas, #1)
  • Her Last Letter
  • Being Happy
  • Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know
  • To Catch a King: Charles II's Great Escape
  • The Apple Orchard (Bella Vista Chronicles, #1)
  • The Inn at Willa Bay (Willa Bay #1)
  • The Bride Price (Misled Mail Order Brides, #1)
  • Nantucket White Christmas: A feel-good, small town, Christmas story
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Bound by the Heart
  • The Sea Glass Cottage
  • Summer at Lake Haven (Haven Point, #11)
  • One Perfect Summer
  • Seabreeze Summer (Summer Beach #2)
  • Painted Dresses
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara was traditionally publishe