Start by marking “The Christmas Visit” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Visit

The Christmas Visit

After his mother's death, a Chicago advertising executive in his early thirties returns to his tiny upstate New York hometown to spend the Christmas holiday with his recently widowed father. While struggling to get along with his prickly father, he finds himself becoming involved with the teenage crush he's never forgotten, now a closeted sheriff's deputy. The relationship ...more
Published (first published December 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Visit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Visit

Len Evans Jr
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, owned
This was sweet with a touch of mystery second chance Christmas story that for it's length did a wonderful job of conveying much more than I expected. Loved It!
Pavellit
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short
This could have been a perfect novel- oh yeah! I did appreciate the fact that Marshall Thornton set a Christmas story that's neither “let's sit by the fire and get romantic” nor “let's set the story of baby Jesus”. Well, there are some religious overtones, but not too much preachy.

It's a story about a young man who left his childhood home for a degree of art and career in Chicago, and now he's back to spend Christmas with his father, after his mother's passing. But fate knows her cue, and he run
⚣Michaelle⚣
Re-Read Rating: No change

So I tried again, mainly because when I started reading this short story I didn't recognize it right away. Once we got to the manipulative wife I realized this was a re-read and kept going to see if I liked it more the second time around. Nope.

Original Rating: 2.8 Stars

Oh, I am so very glad this is not the first thing I ever read by this author because if it had been I'd probably never bother again. I mean, the writing is technically fine but there is a lack of emotional
Lena♥Ribka
A lovely little Christmas reunited story a là Marshall Thornton with realistic and interesting characters- the Dad was the best!!

With that everything has been said. :)

An enjoyable read in between, not only for a Christmas time and not only for the fans of Marshall Thornton!
Rosa, really
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-gay-fiction
Marshall Thornton couldn't write a typical MM Romance if his life depended on it. He's awesome that way.
Tami
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good story about a young guy who comes home to his widowed father to his small home town for the christmas holidays. There he meets his first love, handsome deputy Larson, now unhappily married.
It was written in the first person POV and the narrators voice is a very interesting one. But what really made this book better than the average m/m holiday romance novella was the widowed Dad - he cut a really interesting character. Also the whole story was not overly sweet, but passionate and a
Chris
3.5 stars. Good short m/m holiday romance about a guy returning to the small town he grew up in to see his dad at Christmas. He keeps running into the deputy who he'd had a crush on and who is now married...
Eugenia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday, mm, shorts
Crazy Reveal!

Well-written Christmas short about second chances and the power of vomiting.

The big reveal was melodramatic, but it moved the story to its needed HEA.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story mostly because I am rather ambivalent about Christmas.
Yes I am a religious person and I enjoy that part of it but I dislike the heightened expectations and the enforced jollity and the need to spend piles of money whether you have it or not.

I dislike the way in which it is expected that people will be jolly and happy and have a fabulous time and the way in which families are expected to come together and be happy. Sometimes family is nice and other times it is stressful. So
Lucy
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing the story had to do with Christmas was the timing of the visit. The nameless narrator comes home to spend time with his newly widowed father, their first Christmas since mom died. While there, he comes across Travis, a man he had sex with once, 15 years before, who is now married. Travis was cruel after they had sex the first time, and I can't imagine why narrator would want to be with him again, let alone dropping to his knees outside the church social. They hadn't had a relation ...more
Jenn (not Lily)
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, winter-read
Excellently written, but I can't be surprised at that from Marshall Thornton. After I finished reading, I stared thinking about how good Travis and...wait, what's the MC's name? (page back...page back...holy crap, go to the font of the book...) Travis and the unnamed narrator are together (how did I not notice that while I was reading?!)...I think maybe that made the story even better in hindsight!
Jax
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, holiday
Don't go into this expecting the usual holiday fare. This is not jingle bells and mistletoe. I'm not even sure I liked the couple, but I liked the writing. This father-son relationship felt very real. Uncomfortable around each other, but there's love there too. Their story made this worthwhile for me.
CrabbyPatty
I guess I'm used to Marshall Thornton books either ripping my heart out in shreds or making me laugh and want to endlessly read funny passages to my family and friends. This story was .... a bit strange in that I just could not imagine the two MCs together in any way, shape, form. 3 stars and a definite "It's not YOU, it's ME" footnote.
Becca
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn this was good. But seriously kind of twisted lol. When a wife tries to poison herself to manipulate her hubby. Messed up. But two men who cared about each other finally got what they were looking for. And with the blessing of a dad.
Anke
Nov 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally got around to reading this and it didn't work for me at all.
Kassa
May 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve wanted to read something by this author for a while so I was pretty pleased to find this smaller offering. It gives you a good idea of the writing style and characters, but handles some difficult subjects that aren’t going to please all readers. There’s a happy ending that I’m not sure I bought into it fully and the story really lacked something due to the shorter length. However, it’s a quick mostly enjoyable read with characters that are definitely not run of the mill.

The story is told th
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
MMRG Xmas bingo Team 07 "Naughty"

Week 2 (Monday, December 5, 2016) Category: Word "Christmas" in the title

This is my first read of anything written by this award winning author, and I'm certain that I have some of his titles in my collection of M/M eBooks.

Though just a taste via this short story, I'm very impressed with Marshall Thornton and see glimmerings of a smaller-scale why he deserves his place of high regard among readers of this genre.

He is masterful at writing 1st person POV. I'm prick
Sylvia
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the writing style and the surprising meddling of his father. 3,5 star
Melissa
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good story! There was a lot packed in to only 48pages. It quickly had me caring about the characters. It could easily be expanded to a longer novel.
Dale
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas present to make you happy.

A good story to enjoy. A young first time fling and an unexpected Christmas present to boot. Dad sure knows how to pick just the right gift to give for the holidays and them some. Go dad!
Wende
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I love Marshall Thornton's Nick Novak books. They are down and dirty and Nick is a slutty private eye. He runs the Chicago streets and it shows the dirty streets in all their horror. It is a series set during the beginning of the aids crisis. Why do I mention this you ask. Why because this book is not like that at all. It is set in a small town in which a young man goes home to visit his father. I hate to say this but this is the first of this authors books I just had trouble with. One of the ma
T.M. Smith
3.5/5 ...

He left his childhood home and the boy he loved for an Art degree and promising career in Chicago. Now he’s back home after his mother’s passing to spend Christmas with his father. He has never forgotten that day by the lake with Travis, he doesn’t think he ever will, and all the memories come flooding back when he sees Travis for the first time in years.

Travis very unhappily married, but married none the less, so the two dance around their obvious attraction in the beginning. Travis’s
Susana
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the main character in this story (whose name we do not know) goes back to his childhood home at Tomahawk Springs to spend Christmas, he expects to suffer from boredom and a few awkward moments with his recently widowed father. What he does not expect is to be faced with his first love, Travis Logan, and to realise his feelings towards the handsome man have not changed, despite the years, the fact that Travis is married and deeply closeted, and the not-so-happy ending of their first and only ...more
Sadonna
3.5 stars. This is a really interesting short story of a return visit home for our MC to his small town. His father is recently widowed and the retired Sheriff. He and his wife knew their son was gay, but the mother never really accepted that and it led to some difficult moments when she was dying.

One of the things our MC had hoped to avoid in town was his high school crush, Travis, one of his father's deputies. He's still in town and married. Not only can he not be avoided, but he seems to tur
Suze
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
A Christmas short (very short, only about 75% of book) but one that certainly felt longer and packed a punch.
A son (no name given I think?) comes home for Christmas to check on his recently widowed father. Whilst not hating each other, they rub along OK, with his Dad seeming to be up to something.
The son's childhood crush, Travis is now Sheriff and he and his wife come for Christmas dinner.
A bit maudlin, darkly funny, sad, hopeful, conniving - lots of mixed feelings come out in this short ta
Daniela Green

How can I not love a man that writes things like:

"the smell of him was as intoxicating as the kiss, sweat salty and over-sweet from some cheap aftershave, and something I couldn't quite place that was either testosterone or the come itching to get out of him" ?

Forget about gushing descriptions, ladies and gentlemen. This is the ultimate description of how an aroused man smells and tastes.
No place here for pink kittens dancing over a rainbow. This is Marshall Thornton. Take it or leave i
Tonileg
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, m-m, romance, holiday
After losing his mother before the Christmas holidays, --- goes home to his widowed father and his childhood home. It is always a bittersweet feeling when you go home to your childhood home, but this is worse because the family is grieving the loss of the matriarch of the family, but this gives the perfect setting for a second chances M/M romance.
The second chances love is with the son of the old sheriff and the deputy which is sweet.
48 pages and kindle freebie August 15, 2012
2 stars
Brad Lane
Cute Christmas Short

Enjoyable story of a man who comes home for Christmas after many years away, only to run into his first love, who is stuck in a loveless marriage to a woman who seems to get conveniently ill when things aren't going her way.
Mary
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Great Review 1 2 Jul 05, 2010 03:57PM
Two-time Lambda Award-winning author, Marshall Thornton is best known for the Boystown and Pinx Video mystery series. Other novels include the erotic comedy The Perils of Praline, or the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentleman in Hollywood, Desert Run and Full Release. Marshall has an MFA in screenwriting from UCLA, where he received the Carl David Memorial Fellowship and was recognized in the ...more