Start by marking “Raising Financially Fit Kids” as Want to Read:
Raising Financially Fit Kids

Raising Financially Fit Kids

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Is your child a spendthrift? A hoarder? Or maybe, downright oblivious? Are there family money dramas you can do without? In RAISING FINANCIALLY FIT KIDS, Joline Godfrey, one of the country’s leading experts on kids, parents, and money, gives parents the secrets and knowledge she has gleaned from a decade of working with kids on financial literacy and business. At the heart ...more
Published December 5th 2003 by Ten Speed Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Financially Fit Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Financially Fit Kids

Julie
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
She's preaching to the choir, here, so that may influence my rating, star-wise. I read this in prep for a class I was going to take...but missed. Luckily the instructor is a friend so I think I got my questions answered.

The gist is that kids need to be taught how to by fiscally responsible, that they won't necessarily pick it up on their own, even if their parents set a good example. I know this seems like "duh" but I was surprised how many of my own friends don't teach their kids budgeting, sa
Jessica Blevins
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book on how to teach your kids to be financially responsible. We're following the guidelines for our daughter, and so far it seems to be helping her out a lot. The key tenet is to think of an allowance not as an entitlement or a salary (not something they have to earn or something they can spend however they want), but as an educational tool.

There are specific expectations for each age range that tell what kids should know at that stage in their life. There are tips for games, everyday
Claudia
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Although this book probably had really great advice, I did not feel like I learned anything new and was pretty bored with it - had to force myself to finish it.
Dolly
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents who want to teach their children to be financially literate
Our girls are still very young, but I'm glad that I got this book now. It reinforces the concepts I've already started teaching them, and offers lots of suggestions for what we can do as they get older. The author gives so many different books, websites, products and resources that it's almost overwhelming. I have a feeling that I may revisit this book in a few years.

Overall, this is a good read and offers good advice for helping parents teach our children learn about money. It also takes into
Lisa Shaffer
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is packed with specific ideas for teaching kids how to manage money. It's probably much more than you actually want to know, and truthfully, the first couple of chapters have fueled our parenting on the topic for the past few years! When we were first trying to figure out the allowance thing, her clear philosophy was a gift: "An allowance is not an entitlement, nor a salary. It's a tool to teach children how to manage money." It helped us navigate the way we dole out allowances at our ...more
Julie Bernstein
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
While elements of this book do feel a little dated (published in 2003; I'm reading in 2012), I still found it to be a worthwhile read. I particularly like that the author's approach is both value-driven (secular) and very respectful of children, and generally very grounded and practical. I also appreciated the emphasis on philanthropy as part of a financial education. As a parent of an 11yo presently sorting out parenting approaches relating to allowance, materialism, generosity and responsibili ...more
Catherine Knight
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book for work, and really enjoyed the way the book presented the concept of stages in financial life as developmental stages that are not specifically tied to chronological age. Not having kids of my own makes the book a little impractical for me at this time, but still an interesting read, and I liked the idea of recruiting friends and family members to help teach your kids various things about being smart about money.
Sheridan
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, self-help
I think this is a must have book for creating a step by step plan for teaching your kids about money.

I was lucky enough to be raised by parents who taught me about money and savings, etc. I try to teach these things to my boys, but it is great to have this book to help give me solid ideas of ways to teach them different key skills at different ages.

I only wish I had read it 5 years ago!
Adrienne
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
everyone who has kids should read this book immediately!!! the chapters are separated by age, so it's a very quick and easy to read and digest. we think her perspective is right on, and she has great tips. we haven't started an allowance for leah yet, but when we do we'll definitely use her approach.
Andy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
This book had some great ideas and some logical plans. I'd much rather own this book than borrow it from the library as it spans kids of different stages. I jotted down what my kids are going through now, but I'd like to look it over again as they move on. The 10 basic money skills is a good consistent baseline.
Carol
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A book that will be helpful through the years. One of the most valuable ideas I took away from the first part of the book is that an allowance is a learning tool, not a salary or an entitlement. We've started an allowance and teaching Ruby about money and it has been a lot of fun, although Ruby asks, "why are you talking about money all the time now?"
Nancy
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've had this book for a number of years (picked it up at a book sale), but I re-read recently as this summer I hope to read a number of such books with the kids, some of whom have interest in personal finance and money issues.
Kimberly
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good tips for teaching kids at all different ages about money. I particularly like the ideas pertaining to giving kids increasingly more responsibility as they get older so that it isn't such a shock when they get their first lump sum paycheck.
Kscurlytop
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
ok, so technically I only read the part applicable to my kids current ages, but I don't want to confuse myself. Lots of really great ideas though! I may need to buy a copy and keep up with it as they get older!
Kathy
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great ideas for teaching kids financial literacy-- I especially liked the way it was organized into 10 money principles to teach and how that was broken down into very specific suggestions for different age levels.
Monica
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Monica by: Adrienne
Shelves: non-fiction
allright, i'm ready! let's start paying our kid! very intriguing, will see how it works. still not sure if they can spend money on what they want or not...
Alexa
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: money
Great book, I wish there was more about kids under 5.
Roslyn Ross
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some great ideas but I wish this were written by a Libertarian....
Tony Bradshaw
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Want to own this book!
Dara
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Good ideas. Nice that concepts are divided up by child's age. However viewpoint is that this is a method and there is a bit of a do it this way attitude.
Cassandra
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a great reference and inspiration for me to teach my children money management and wealth building concepts...a must read for parents teaching their kids about money.
Sarah Brennan-Green
Apr 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The New Edition? 1 3 Jun 11, 2013 08:05PM
  • The First National Bank of Dad: The Best Way to Teach Kids About Money
  • Born to Buy: A Groundbreaking Exposé of a Marketing Culture That Makes Children "Believe They  Are  What They  Own." (USA Today)
  • The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy
  • Raising Kids with Character That Lasts
  • Father to Daughter: Life Lessons on Raising a Girl
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Smart Couples Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Creating a Rich Future for You and Your Partner
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Debt Is Slavery: And 9 Other Things I Wish My Day Had Taught Me about Money
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • The Family Dinner: Great Ways to Connect with Your Kids, One Meal at a Time
  • Seven Clues to the Origin of Life: A Scientific Detective Story
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers: How to Meet Their Social and Emotional Needs
Joline Godfrey is the CEO of Independent Means and an innovator in financial education for children and families. Originator of a unique developmental, experiential approach to financial education, her work gives families new tools for developing their human capital and raising children growing up in the midst of abundance.

Godfrey is also the author of Raising Financially Fit Kids, Our Wildest Dre
More about Joline Godfrey...