Start by marking “The Fisherman's Wife: Women of the New Testament Novel” as Want to Read:
The Fisherman's Wife: Women of the New Testament Novel

The Fisherman's Wife: Women of the New Testament Novel

In a homeland ruled by Rome and torn by unrest, Johanna’s love for Simon, a young fisherman from Capernaum, may not be enough to hold them together. Childless, her society shames her. Rumors of messiahs and rebellion plague their village. After a new rabbi calls Simon away, Johanna must choose what to believe.
Nook, 108 pages
Published November 18th 2010 by Buoy Up Press (first published June 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman's Wife

Pam
May 17, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fisherman’s Wife is by Dianne G. Sagon. It is the fictional story of Johanna, the wife of Simon Peter. She took the story of Simon Peter from the Gospels and the vague references to his wife and daughter. The book brings to life the daily life of the Jews under Roman rule and during the time of Jesus of Nazareth. It takes place near the Sea of Galilee where Simon Peter was a fisherman.
Simon Peter took Johanna as his wife according to the rituals of Jewish tradition. She came to live in the
Kathy Stemke
Sep 16, 2011 Kathy Stemke rated it it was amazing
Would you like to travel back to biblical times and experience the life of the wife of a fisherman from Capernaum? Then you would enjoy “The Fisherman’s Wife” by Dianne Sagan.

Dianne Sagan’s historical fiction is rich in Jewish customs and traditions. After formalized negotiations between their fathers, Simon asked for Johanna’s hand in marriage.

“Simon took her hand and placed a gold coin in herm palm as a sign of their betrothal. He said, ‘Behold, you are consecrated unto me with this token ac
Wyndy
Aug 30, 2010 Wyndy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if the disciples had families? Matthew, Mark, and Luke tell us that Jesus healed Simon Peter's mother-in-law, therefore; he had a wife. Church history tells us that Peter and his wife were crucified together in Rome. Ms. Sagan has taken these passages and histories to fashion a woman called Johanna as the wife of Simon. Johanna has grown up with Simon and is ecstatic when their fathers come to an agreement on a bridal contract. At first the marriage is wonderful but then troubles develop wh ...more
Camille
Step back into first century Palestine with Johanna, the wife of a moderately successful fisherman named Simon. Diane Sagan does a wonderful job of weaving her story about this typical Jewish girl who grows into a woman during the time of religious renewal in this area of the world. Enjoy the sights, sounds, images and hardships described as Johanna evolves from young bride to adult woman in an age of difficult times and oppression.

Appealing to young adult and anyone interested in the lifestyle
Greg Sagan
Aug 25, 2011 Greg Sagan rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure time: I'm Dianne's husband, but I don't read "women's fiction" and I don't read Christian fiction. Having said that, I've read this book and found it riveting, and Dianne knows me well enough to assure you that I would call it crap if that's what I thought of it. This story can't escape a thread of ominous fate that runs through it, and the uplift in the message also reminds us of what our faith may cost us in earthly terms. The setting is first century, but the problems faced by ...more
ElenTikvah (Lea Coville)
Honestly, I was hugely disappointed in this story. Simplistic in its style, and superficial character development led me to push through it's short 91 pages as quickly as I could...don't expect that I'll read it again.
Aug 21, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I loved this book. Short and sweet, but powerful. It made me feel like I was there in Jerusalem at the time of Christ.
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Ireina
Ireina rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2014
J.R. Mattison
J.R. Mattison rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2015
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Helene Charles
Helene Charles rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
JoAnne Stupak
JoAnne Stupak rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Diana Veith
Diana Veith rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2017
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Kimberly Black
Kimberly Black rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Becky Gold
Becky Gold rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Cydney
Cydney rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Katie Kincade
Katie Kincade rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Jean Mingus
Jean Mingus rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
michelle selman
michelle selman rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Jenette Melo
Jenette Melo rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Kimberly Prohaska
Kimberly Prohaska rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
theresa mccoy
theresa mccoy rated it did not like it
May 07, 2015
Sherry Martin
Sherry Martin rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Lynn Henshaw
Lynn Henshaw rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Laura Galati
Laura Galati rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Dianne G. Sagan, author of 21 books, has been writing professionally for fourteen years and facilitating groups for 25 years. She’s authored ten nonfiction books as a ghostwriter, six of which are bestsellers. Her clientele includes writers from the United States, Canada, the UK, Austria, Oman, and Australia.

Ms. Sagan has traditionally published Christian fiction and women’s fiction. Her best know
More about Dianne G. Sagan...