Start by marking “The Soul of the Lion Witch, & the Wardrobe” as Want to Read:
The Soul of the Lion Witch, & the Wardrobe

The Soul of the Lion Witch, & the Wardrobe

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When C. S. Lewis published The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe he created one of Christendom's most cherished allegories. Viewers of the movie, as well as readers of the book will come away deeply moved by what they have encountered in Narnia.

They will have countless questions such as: How did the Witch take over Narnia? Why couldn't Edmund resist temptation? Why did the
Published August 19th 2005 by David C. Cook (first published April 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul of the Lion Witch, & the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul of the Lion Witch, & the Wardrobe

Mwrogers
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Like other reviewers have said, this is a pretty basic guide to Narnia. I am a huge CS Lewis fan and also appreciate Veith, so I thought this book would be a good fit. I really did not learn anything new about Narnia, did not care about Pullman's books, and thought Veith was off base on Potter. Sometimes I wondered if he had read the same Potter books I had read! There were some good nuggets here though. For example, I enjoyed the discussion on how there is still a battle to be fought and won af ...more
Azalea Dabill
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-fantasy
This book took me on an adventure into understanding fantasy and some of what lay behind it. A fascinating book about fantasy itself, how it affects us, and about Narnia in particular. If you enjoy the scenes behind the scenes, you'll love this read. A thoughtful, exciting adventure into fantasy.
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has two main sections. The first section discusses the storyline of C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and the allegory and symbols that Lewis weaves into this book (and others in the series). I found that interesting, but already had identified most of the ones discussed.

The second main section discusses the role of fantasy fiction in a Christian's live and compares and contrasts Lewis's Narnia series with two other popular fantasy serieses contemporary to the publica
Marie
Feb 10, 2010 rated it liked it
If you recognize Gene Veith's name, it's likely for his work for World Magazine or his association with Patrick Henry College. I picked this up because I'm always interested to see what Christians have to say about fantasy books (I often don't agree), and the second half of this one compares and contrasts Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia. This was fairly light-weight and didn't tell me anything I hadn't heard before.
George
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
An overall good book on LWW. The only problem was the author's total inability to get Harry Potter right. He should have educated himself better on the subject of Potter & comparisons to Lewis or said nothing at all.
Lynn Joshua
A good overview, very basic. If you are already familiar with and love Narnia, there is nothing new here. His discussion of good fantasy/ bad fantasy is good for a quick read, and his critique of Pullman is good, but also brief.
Samuel
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Narnia fans.
Pretty straightforward book. Lots I already knew. Occasional nuggets that make it worth reading.
David Freudenburg
It's full of clichés, but I learned a few things, especially at the end of the book.
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a solid, though basic, analysis of Lewis' novel.
Zac
Jan 11, 2008 is currently reading it
not as good as you might think i am half way in
Jeremy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read probably sometime around 2007.
Mark
Aug 28, 2011
Elijah
Feb 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Gene Edward Veith Jr., is the Culture Editor of WORLD MAGAZINE. He was formerly Professor of English at Concordia University Wisconsin, where he has also served as Dean of the School of Arts & Sciences. He is the author of numerous books, including Postmodern Times: A Christian Guide to Contemporary Thought and Culture, The Spirituality of the Cross: The Way of the First Evangelicals, and God ...more
More about Gene Edward Veith Jr.