Start by marking “Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader” as Want to Read:
Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader

Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  371 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
You never dreamed being the boss would be so hard. You're caught in a web of conflicting expectations from subordinates, your supervisor, peers, and customers.

You're not alone. As Linda Hill and Kent Lineback reveal in Being the Boss, becoming an effective manager is a painful, difficult journey. It's trial and error, endless effort, and slowly acquired personal insight. M
Published January 11th 2011 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Being the Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being the Boss

Cristina
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I believe this book is a good and quite complete one - at least for me :) being a manager/lead for 2 months now when it comes on the duties and challenges of a manager.
The idea is to be aware of the 3 imperatives of a great manager:
- manage yourself: if one wants to be an effective and trusted manager of people, he/she should start with managing the self. What means to be a boss, the role, the relationship with others. Being aware it is all about results in the end, but the ones around you who n
Maria
Hill discusses practical tips and personal surveys to guide your development as a manager. How do you see yourself and how does that differ from how others see you?

Why I started this book: I wanted help and inspiration on how to be a better boss.

Why I finished it: Very practical, but also overwhelming as an audio book, since they are harder to skim thru or skip to relevant sections. Interesting and inspiring. I really liked the section on Prep, Do, Review and will need to include that in my life
Siva
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the holy grail that you need to read. A complete one, filled with all the pros and cons, ups and downs in the leadership struggle for all levels of leaders. Like many other books in the genre, this is not a book that you read once and let it get dirty on a shelf. This is something that you come back to now and then and up your game in helping people and yourself.
SVRosenmeier
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bussiness, management
Good and basic book about management. Nothing new or extra ordinary, but still worth the time. All managers not just the new can read this. Often leadership dipasears and only work is managed by the boss, which is a waste of time for both parts. This book also give some tools to manage this balance
Kellyann
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
This book is very straight-forward and practical, with concrete advice on how to be a better manager. Being hyper-critical of myself by nature, I feel like i easily master the reflective, inquisitive, planning parts of being a manager. The section on networking (managing yourself and your team are the other two) was the most interesting and helpful to me as it is the area where i need the most work. I play nice with others with a specific goal in mind, but the idea of reaching out for the sake o ...more
Allieweiskopfgmail.com
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, leadership
Purchased for my husband from his employer (Amazon), I read the book while he listened to it. As a military officer, leadership was taught in college and practiced immediately upon commissioning. I've read hundreds of leaderships books over the past 15 years and been asked to recommend them. This would be the *one* to recommend. 1) It's dual written, offering separate perspectives. 2) Each chapter opens with a management scenario, followed by a discussion. 3) The authors offer concrete strategie ...more
Mpreeti
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just wish I had found this book a lot earlier, say a decade back when I first started my career.

This is a must-read for all those professionals keen on becoming an ace people manager, or a manager per se. Replete with practical gems and a running case study this book is just what it says: an imperative if you want to become a great leader.

Learning to manage yourself, your network and your team forms the crux of the book. And more importantly, throughout the book the authors remind the reader
kelly
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I don’t actually want to be a boss. (I read this as part of a free class on leadership.) I do, however, want to influence people and better understand how organizations work. The book did not disappoint. I braced myself for lots of cheesy truisms and corny acronyms, but it had nothing of the sort; it was incredibly intelligent, realistic, and wise. I now have enormous respect for anyone who takes on the role of manager and does it well.

They say becoming a manager is as big a life-changing event
E
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even great managers face unprecedented challenges in an economic climate characterized by constant innovation, chaos and general unpredictability. Harvard professor of business administration Linda A. Hill and business writer Kent Lineback offer a lucid blend of cogent theory and practical strategies. They educate and inspire novice and experienced leaders who want to practice the fundamentals of good management. getAbstract recommends this deftly organized, clearly presented, practical guide pr ...more
University of Chicago Magazine
Linda A. Hill, AM’79, PhD’82
Coauthor

From our pages (May–June/11): "A how-to guide for managers frustrated by conflicting demands and the mire of office politics, Being the Boss offers practical advice for how to be a great leader. Centering around three principles—managing oneself, managing a network of relationships, and managing a team of subordinates—Hill and Lineback show how to accomplish business tasks effectively even under the most demanding circumstances."
Yolanda
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Praktisch boek, geeft voor verschillende onderdelen vragenlijsten. Ook de tips zijn concreet en in de praktijk goed toepasbaar.
Voor de ervaren leidinggevende is het boek herkenbaar en zal het waarschijnlijk niet veel nieuwe inzichten opleveren.
Voor de startende leidinggevende geeft het boek een breed beeld van de uiteenlopende kwaliteiten en vaardigheden die je nodig hebt als leidinggevende.

Meer info over de recensie? Kijk op http://bit.ly/Ig7mTU
CAC
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Linda Hill is an accomplished academic and I got quite a bit out of her prior book, Becoming a Manager. There is a lot of good material in this book as well but I prefer a little less dry writing style like the Chip and Dan Heath or Dan Pink -- more stories and examples and even some humor to illustrate the points. That said, she knows her stuff--it's research-based.
Donya
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I got several nuggets that I will use including a paradigm shift on the value of networking, the power of continuously evangelizing your vision, the proposal to use every chaotic moment as an opportunity to do your job instead of always trying to get back to your job, and the prepare-do-review philosophy!
David Swart
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book reads a little dull, but after hearing the author in person, gave it a lot more life.

Interesting perspectives she shared, though not particularly new or earth shattering, still enjoyable and helpful book.
Stephen Acton
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
A good book for new supervisors/ managers. Not a lot of new information for someone who has experience managing. However, since the text is the result of studies - it is good validation of what may have only been intuition for some.
Beth
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good practical book on management. My team and I used it for a work book club. Some of the advice is common sense, but it gives people--particularly people newer to management--a good framework to manage themselves, manage their network and manage their team.
Lana
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got a signed copy of this book at my conference in Chicago. The author was a guest speaker at the conference as well. So I decided to read the book :)

She is a better speaker than author! Some good tips, but a little repetitive...
Dvir Oren
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Learned a few good things. I liked treating employees well and not gossiping.
Biggest two were build a brand and network with people above your level

remember names, treat emloyees nicely, network with people above your level. build a brand
Milena Esherick
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
• Manage yourself: Do people trust you? Are you competent, do you have a strong character?
• Manage network – build strong relationships to be able to influence people outside direct team
• Manage your team – Build team culture, be clear about how team works, manage individuals.
E
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Helpful in outlining necessities for good management.
Sydney
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think that this book was able to give very tangible and concrete examples of how to improve ones management abilities. Really helpful!
Julia
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
While I liked what this book taught, I could've completely done without the cheesy stories at the beginning of each section.
Stephen
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nice foundational piece for anyone new to leadership or those who are looking for practical leadership guidance.
Deepika
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Precise predictable and obvious!
Daniel St john
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to management.
Todd Fonseca
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book for first time managers. For those who have done this for a while, not quite as useful. However, section 2 - managing your network - is really the best section of this book IMHO.
Alissa
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business, 2013
Lots of practical advice and tips for implementation. Sections are short and bolded so easy to skim as well.
Paras Kher
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was referred to me by my corporate mentor. It has some very useful tips in becoming a great manager in handling tasks.
Doug Della pietra
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Excellent book! Theoretical guidance and questions for self-assessing how one manages oneself, one's network and one's team."
Jim Baron
Jan 23, 2013
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • Tongue Fu!: How to Deflect, Disarm, and Defuse Any Verbal Conflict
  • Zingerman's Guide to Giving Great Service
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Jesus, Life Coach: Learn from the Best
  • What the Most Successful People Do at Work: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Career
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • Who
  • Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
  • Managing

“It's another paradox that management and planning require both chaos and order, and” 0 likes
“and your job is to understand when one versus the other is the right course. Above” 0 likes