Start by marking “I quattro cantoni” as Want to Read:
I quattro cantoni

I quattro cantoni (Nero Wolfe #21)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  2,021 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
I quattro cantoni, pubblicato nel 1952, inizia con una situazione insolita: un'affascinante sconosciuta offre 350 dollari ad Archie Goodwin, il fedele aiutante di Nero Wolfe, per poter essere ospitata presso l'abitazione del detective, senza fornire alcuna spiegazione. Si tratta in realtà di una giovane ereditiera che, come regalo di compleanno, sta per ricevere un lascito ...more
Paperback, Oscar Scrittori, 203 pages
Published August 2005 by Mondadori (first published October 24th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about I quattro cantoni, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I quattro cantoni

Evgeny
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A woman showed up at Nero Wolfe's house. She wanted to use it as a hotel where she could stay hidden for several days. Usually she would not be even let in with such strange request, but Archie just had a disagreement with his employer, so he put her in the guest room while Nero Wolfe had his regular sessions with orchids. As soon as the latter came down the woman was sent away. She was found murdered several hours later. Archie Goodwin felt it was practically his fault, so finding a murderer be ...more
Bill  Kerwin
Dec 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A woman who unsuccessfully seeks Nero Wolfe's services is later found murdered. Archie feels responsible, and temporarily leave's Wolfe's employ to solve the case. Another good entry in the series.
Una Tiers
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice business as usual Nero Wolfe mystery with Archie stepping to the front of the stage. Nice twist in the plot although the attitudes toward women were rather backward.
Tony
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PRISONER’S BASE. (1952). Rex Stout. ***1/2.
This another adventure for Stout’s Nero Wolfe. This time, the central theme of the case that Wolfe picks up relates to the inheritance of a large and successful company that manufactures towels and linens. Much of the story revolves around the legal issues of possession of goods after an owner dies. When the legal heir dies, the next in line is found murdered. Where do you look next? It is obvious. But, obvious or not, Nero Wolfe can only work on cases
Bettie☯

Description: Hours after Priscilla Eads pleads with him to take her case, Nero Wolfe is shocked to find out that she was murdered, and soon he is investigating her fortune-hunting husband and greedy business associates.

Jen
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wolfe lovers
Recommended to Jen by: Beth
This was my first Nero Wolfe book. I wasn't so crazy about the story overall, but I did get a big ol' kick out of Archie and Nero and their relationship. I think I'm going to have to start at the beginning of the series in order to get a better appreciation of it.
Alexis Neal
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery
Under normal circumstances, a woman showing up on Wolfe's door looking for a place to stay would be unceremoniously bounced. But if the woman shows up when Wolfe and Archie are in the middle of a standoff, she may end up being escorted inside so Archie can use her to antagonize his employer. The situation is complicated when someone else tries to hire Wolfe to find a missing heiress (the same young lady who just so happens to be upstairs in the South Room). Wolfe's self esteem won't let him acce ...more
Sean O
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to give a Nero Wolfe novel anything less than four stars. But this came fairly close.

The mystery, as in many of the Wolfe novels, was pretty good, but the solution was a wee bit underwhelming.

I enjoyed the cast of characters, but there was a lot of development to zero end. 90% of it was red herrings, and the key was a bit of unseen fummerry.

Still, a good read, and some lovely Stout writing. 3.5 rounded up.
Marysia
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I always enjoy reading the Nero Wolfe books. This one was satisfying, but I wouldn't rank it up there as one of the best. For one thing, it's fairly heavy on Archie and light on Wolfe, and I've realized that the interactions between them is one of the most enjoyable parts of the books for me -- there isn't so much of that here. The title of this book and the cover art don't really have much to do with the plot.

Plot Comments:

The middle of this book has an exciting part that, while I had a pretty
Pupottina

A casa di Nero Wolfe, questa volta, “Sulla soglia c’era un essere umano di sesso femminile, di vent’anni o poco più, provvisto di due occhi fuori ordinanza, di un bel personale sano, di una valigia di pelle meravigliosamente lustra e di una cappelliera.”
È una donna, in elegante abito color pesca, che resta misteriosa per poco e riesce a destare in Wolfe la sua proverbiale avversità per il genere femminile. Ovviamente, di tutt’altro avviso è Archie Goodwin, che ne resta all’istante sedotto, non s
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
An uninvited "guest" appears on Nero Wolfe's doorstep. Archie knows that Wolfe will not accept a female in his home, especially one who won't give him her name. Later, a man comes by to contract Godwin and Wolfe to find his ward before June 30th. The same date that the young woman locked in Wolfe's 3rd floor room had stated as the date she wanted to stay through. When Archie sees the picture of the missing woman, Pre Eads, he knows it's the young woman he had interviewed earlier. When her guardi ...more
Cherie
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, read-audio
Stellar!
JJ
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had always wanted to try a Nero Wolff book. Did I see an American series of his cases long ago?
Archie Goodwin is his Watson, so to speak, and narrates the story. His Americanisms from the 1950s had me a bit foxed at times but I ploughed on.
This book was a dangerous place for innocent females with quite a few being cruelly dispatched. One in particular made me go, Oh no, not her. Poor Archie is left with a terribly guilty conscience.
So you have to content yourselves with the who and the why and
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I enjoyed the TV version more than the book, but that in part is my love of watching Timothy Hutton and the girl who played Priss' erstwhile best friend work together. Another thing is that there was a lot of talk-talk in the book, and I'm not sure that in 1952 all of that travel between South and North America would have gone quite that quickly. Granted there were fewer international air passengers in those days but there is the expense as well as the time factor to consider. Jet travel didn't ...more
Richard Schwindt
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Archie's jobs is to activate the sedentary Wolfe. And regular readers know the lengths to which he will go to get Wolfe on the job. This time a creative effort goes terribly wrong and the two detectives find themselves quickly immersed in a disturbing mystery with a particularly nasty killer and a South American connection. Despite Wolfe's egregious misogyny Archie is a lover of women and psychologically astute. Watch for his finely etched portrait of a minor character named, Sarah Jaffee ...more
fred e davis phd
A change of pace.

Archie is Wolfe's client!! That is interesting enough, but more fascinating is the puzzle, and Archie's quest for the murderer whose agenda cause Archie to pursue him with revenge on his mind, to capture and turn over a murderer who kills two people for which Archie feels responsible. His last conversation with Sarah Jaffee is agonizing, but his presence of mind and final action is satisfying!!
Mentatreader
Bob Keeney
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Nero Wolfe.

Dialogue right out of fifties cop dramas. Archie Goodwin is a sympathetic sidekick, and Nero Wolfe is just a shadow in the story. I'm assuming this will be the standard for the series. It was pretty obvious the cast of suspects would not include the murderer.
Gary
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here, the master's touch: not only did I get the suspense, the story, the feelings, and the people, but I was allowed to solve it, glory in that, and watch it come true. Rex Stout does that in this novel without anymore than the touch of a feather.
Gary Anderson
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery

Prisoner's Base is a somewhat different Nero Wolfe story. In this one, Archie Goodwin is the client and he teams up with the police. A solid and fun read.
Michele bookloverforever
3 women murdered. I guessed the villain. A good story by the inimitable Mr Stout.
Steven Freeman
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The first twist in this story is that Archie is the client. Wolfe and Archie (with a little help from Saul) still solve the problem and identify the murderer before the police figure it out.
Robert Henry
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more of these books I read, the more I like them. Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin are excellent characters.
Ann
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Nero Wolfe series! This is a great book and highly recommend to anyone that enjoys a great mystery.
Panu Mäkinen
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Taidokkaasti punottu dekkari. Neljä ja puoli tähteä, mutta pyöristyy viiteen.
Alger
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exemplar of the Nero Wolfe novel.

This is a book that can only be understood as part of the series because the action results from long standing and established traits and habits. Better yet, these traits that define the series are so notorious that even the characters of the book use them to initiate the plot.

1. Archie is in a snit with Nero.
2. Nero is in a snit with Archie.
3. A woman arrives at their brownstone asking for a room that she knows exists because (apparently) she is an avid read
Bill Davis
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Archie Goodwin is one of the coolest cats that ever walked pages!
Benjamin
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't write reviews of most of these books, partly because one is pretty much similar to another and also because mysteries, as a function of the genre to which they belong, are all more or less the same. The reason I read these mysteries instead of others is because these are really good mysteries. Since I don't normally read mysteries at all, I think you can also extrapolate that I think they are really good books in their own right.

This one is much more an Archie Goodwin story than a Nero W
Nan Silvernail
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young woman appears suddenly at Nero Wolfe's brownstone and wants to pay to stay there for ten days. Intolerable! But Wolfe is busy upstairs with his orchids and Archie is angry enough to want to teach Wolfe a lesson, so in she comes. But soon after a man shows up who is searching for that very same girl and needs to find her in ten days. Turns out, she's a heiress and in ten days on her 25th birthday she will inherit quite a lot of money. When this game of Hide and seek becomes deadly, Wolfe ...more
Elusive
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Prisoner’s Base’, a young woman shows up on the doorstep of Wolfe and Archie’s residence. Instead of asking for Wolfe’s help to solve a mystery as expected, she wants to stay there for a week without disclosing any reason or explanation. Later, after she has been sent away, she is found murdered. To complicate matters, the same happens to her maid Margaret too.

I liked this case from the beginning since I was curious as to the identity of the woman and her reason for insisting on staying ther
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • The Case of the Long-Legged Models
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Puzzles of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #5)
  • Backflash (Parker, #18)
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • The Dain Curse
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
“Probably my conception of a widow was formed in my early boyhood in Ohio, from a character called Widow Rowley, who lived across the street. I have known others since, but the conception has not been entirely obliterated, so there is always an element of shock when I meet a female who has been labeled widow and I find that she has some teeth, does not constantly mutter to herself, and can walk without a cane.” 2 likes
“As requested by quite a mixture—the Police Commissioner and two of his deputies, the District Attorney, a bunch of inspectors and deputy inspectors, not to mention Sergeant Purley Stebbins. I’m talking from the private office of the Commissioner—you know it; you’ve been here. After these days and nights of camaraderie with them—is that the way to pronounce it?” “Almost.” “Good. I am held in high esteem by the whole shebang, from Commissioner all the way down to Lieutenant Rowcliff, which is quite a distance. Wanting to show me what they think of me, they are bestowing a great honor on me. Having a request to make of you, they are letting me make it. They’re all sitting here gazing at me so tenderly I’ve got a lump in my throat. You ought to see them.” 2 likes