Start by marking “Conscious Eating” as Want to Read:
Conscious Eating

Conscious Eating

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  373 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In this new adition of Conscious Eating, Dr. Gabriel Cousens has added original research that brings the selection of the appropriate diet to a new level. cousens defines "conscious eating" as the awareness of how food affects the body, emotions, mind, and spirit. He then offers readers basic guidelines on how to develop a diet that is tailored to their specific needs rath ...more
ebook, Second Edition, 880 pages
Published March 3rd 2009 by North Atlantic Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Conscious Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscious Eating

Laurie
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading page 30 and this quote blew me away. Then I noticed someone put it in their review on Goodreads. OF COURSE that is how we should eat.

"Not everyone makes time to pray, study the scriptures, or think about God each day, but most everyone makes time to eat. If our heart and mind are focused on experiencing food as a love note from God, eating becomes not only a way to nourish and love ourselves, but each meal becomes a time for enhanced spiritual awareness and gratitude to G
Christina
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned that this book has too many pages.
Elyse
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out ---

I still own it!

I noticed a friend read it... Its a one-of-a kind!

Brilliant --by a very brilliant guy!
Mish
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Huge with tons of reference data
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is huge, but I feel like I'm finally getting the thorough background that I need to transition to raw and to begin to understand nutrition. I've already rated it, because it's amazing, and I'm not going to wait until I finish it. This is the kind of book that you read forever and keep coming back to.

Here's a passage that I love about the idea of conscious eating:
Carrie
Unfortunately, I had to return it before reading the recipes or the chapter on food enzymes - two of the parts I was most excited about in this very large book. I may request the book again, just to read those sections, which suggests that the book is at least somewhat useful, but I'm going to withhold my rating until I review the whole thing.
Carolyn
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the Holy Grail of veg*ism, raw foodies, Ayurvedic diets, and just about everything you'd need to know about eating for your health and the health of the planet. This is likely a reference book that you'll cherish as a lifelong bookshelf stalwart. Highly recommended, and worth purchasing.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
This book is like the bible of nutrition and health. It has guided me and my family to eat alive food with consciousness and thankfulness. It is dense and sometimes hard to read, but when read either in part or twice (or more) it begins to assimilate within. I am very thankful for how this book has influenced my life.
Alison
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good stuff....and then stuff I just can't yet get behind, like the SOEFs part.

I will be returning to this when I am not pregnant or lactating (10 years or so, lol!) to help inspire me to cleanse.
Swanelle
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author wrote this book to an audience of SAD (Standard American Diet) eaters, so some of it is irrelevant if you eat more healthily. Despite that there is a lot of information in this book to make anyone think. It can be scientific and esoteric, so it won't be great reading for everyone.
Karli
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE book on eating. Whenever I find myself getting off track, I return to this book for re-direction.
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to reference while on the whole foods/living/raw foods journey.
Tammy
Oct 24, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
ONLY
you can heal your body!! trust in your body
Nick Woodall
Good book, chock full of ideas to really make you think about your eating. I don't really get into all the new-age stuff, but the food information is great.
Deb cambria
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting...strict eating but lots of good nutritional information
For whatever reason I could not get into this. Honestly I don't think I got beyond the table of contents. Maybe some day I will come back to it and it will speak to me.
trisha
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
taking my time, this one's a monster, and full of info i need to, ahem, digest, and evaluate.
Adriana
Dec 18, 2011
Denise
Feb 07, 2012
Lindsay Van Allen
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2014
abdolla abdollay
Jun 21, 2008
Jocelyn
Dec 14, 2014
  • 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Addiction to Cooked Food
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life
  • Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life
  • The Wheatgrass Book: How to Grow and Use Wheatgrass to Maximize Your Health and Vitality
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • The Primal Blueprint Cookbook: Primal, Low Carb, Paleo, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free
  • The Complete Book of Raw Food: Healthy, Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine Made with Living Foods
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • The 80/10/10 Diet: Balancing Your Health, Your Weight, and Your Life, One Luscious Bite at a Time
  • Raw
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
“If our heart and mind are focused on experiencing food as a love note from God, eating becomes not only a way to nourish and love ourselves, but each meal becomes a time for enhanced spiritual awareness and gratitude to God. It becomes a way to directly experience a meaning of “give us this day our daily bread.” It provides a regular opportunity for the conscious eater to take the time to receive and read God's love note, rather than toss it unconsciously into the garbage can of the stomach. Eating consciously is a way of opening one's heart to God. It is a way to feel the Divine presence.” 0 likes
“It is enough to be, nothing more is needed.” The” 0 likes