Start by marking “Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2012: with Universal Orlando, SeaWorld & Aquatica” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Your Ticket to a Magical Family Vacation!
Inside this new edition is all the information you need to have the family vacation of a lifetime at the Orlando theme parks. Up-to-date and written with the help of more than 500 families, this guide is packed with details on all the attractions at Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, and SeaWorld. It's user-friendly, fun, and des
Published October 20th 2011 by Fodor's Travel Publications Inc. (first published August 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2012

Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-2010
Walt Disney World with Kids 2010 by Kim Wright Wiley (pp. 472)

Touted as one of the best vacation guides to Walt Disney World, the title is a bit of mis-marketing. It really should be ‘An Overview of WDW with Some Age Related Content’ – but that title doesn’t sell books. The book never explicitly says it, but less than half the park attractions will be appropriate for 5 year olds and younger. She focuses on parades, shows, and expensive character dinner experiences to satisfy the youngster set. R
Erin Price
A reasonable overview for most families, but distinctly lacking in both information about Disney's new FastPass+ system and any information for parents of young children. Many rides that the author deemed fine for all ages were way too intense for our 3.75yo, and I really could have used indicators of which rides have dark or thunderstormy sections and which allow for rider swap.
Cathy
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most helpful for general planning, understanding the parks layouts and options and deciding which Disney add-ons to buy (dining plan,etc.) Wish it had itinieraries! Doesn't include the newest dining plan options or go into much depth about the on-site resorts- focuses on higher end ones.
Dachokie
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A Simple and Essential Guide That Covers the Fundamentals …

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

Our family of 4 (with two daughters aged 6 and 3) visited Disney World (Orlando, FL) in July 2011 and are heading back the first week of January 2013. We exclusively used a travel agent to assist in planning our first trip and while we had a blast, we felt like we missed several experiences for the kids unnecessarily (although I’m sure
Rachel
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
I used this book to plan a trip to Walt Disney World with my husband and two sons who are five and seven years old. The most helpful part of this book was the detailed descriptions of the rides for each park and the discussion of what ages the rides were most appropriate for. There is an easy to refer to chart for each park of the "Don't Miss" rides for different age groups of kids. This was helpful because there were several rides that our kids could have gone on because they met the height req ...more
Amy
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be useful, providing tips that I haven't found in websites or other books.

I especially appreciated some of the Quick Guides... for example, a listing of what ride is where, the height requirements, speed of line, time needed, and age range. That will be helpful when planning out a day and trying to make sure we see all we want to see within a specific time frame. The fact that these Quick Guides are on blue pages make them easy to flip to for quick reference.

There are also s
Amy
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone traveling with a small/ young child
Recommended to Amy by: Missy
(For the 2014 edition) This book was printed before the new Fantasyland opened, so I was disappointed. I checked out the book specifically for that information. For someone who needs general help with WDW, this book is excellent.

(For the 2008 edition) If you've been to WDW recently, this book probably wouldn't help. However, I hadn't been since I was 18; I could be wrong, but I don't think there was such a thing as All Star Resorts, FastPass, single rider lines, Animal Kingdom, etc. then. This
Alex
I'm not going to give ratings to these books, but I am going to keep track of which ones I read.

This one was my favorite to read, which is funny because it is geared to families with kids. But I found the information so much more informative, since the author was going out of their way to explain why rides might be too scary for kids and when certain attractions are crowded because of the swarm of kids. So now I know that I want to hit up those scary rides, and avoid those other attractions! =)

P
Jamaie
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If ur going to DisneyWorld(Florida), this is a book I recommend taking w/u if you can. Not only is there info on Disney & the 3 other parks associated w/Disney, but there is also info on Universal Studios(Harry Potter's Wizarding World...I've seen this & it's awesome if u r a fan of Harry Potter) and Sea World....yup, there's more to do in Florida besides DW. My personal recommendation for those doing DisneyWorld, especially w/kids....get out of that area & do other things that don't ...more
Katy
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a very helpful guidebook about how to do Disney with kids. Wiley provides tips for different ages of kids and seems to know quite a bit of inside info. I especially like her easy-to-read lists of "Must-See" attractions for each park and the recommended minimum age for each attraction. I ear-marked several pages and plan to go back and review right before our Disney World trip next month.
Kat
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to have an idea of what Disney World would be like and what all the rides, etc. are like so that we have a general idea of what to do. There are good descriptions of each ride with height restrictions, but also scare factors and suggested ages for rides. She goes into what rides are most crowded and when also. So far I think it's helpful. We'll see if that's still the case next week.
Jessica
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We are planning a trip for next year, so I am in the research stage. I found this book extremely helpful, with excellent tips on traveling with kids. I especially appreciated the lists of rides that are must sees and broken down by age category. Good resource for anyone planning a trip with young ones!
Andrea
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author knows what she is talking about, after all, she has been to Walt Disney World over 50 times. She offers great tips, fascinating strategies and many examples of what to do and what NOT to do. I found myself snickering throughout as I read her descriptions, opinions and knowledge about this great theme park. I'm all pumped up for going soon!
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
This was our first time in Disney with the kids and this book was a valuable resource. We loved the tips, the maps and the recommendations. From our experience Ms. Wiley was "on the nose" when it comes to recommending rides for the ager groups our children were belong to (two and four AND A HALF!!!!).

I've even showed it to friends who go to Disney every year and they found it helpful.
Tonya
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of good information but it was WAY TOO BUSY for me! I like informational books to be in some sort of order. Print was too small and in my opinion, not very well organized. I ended up thumbing through it but decided I had other books on Disney that I liked better and had the same information.
Victoria Shepherd
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practically a must read, particularly for first time visitors looking to maximize fun and minimize frustration. A good idea to update your edition every 2 years as Disney is always changing things up.
Apr 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
how to navigate Disney world with children. husband and I have been on our own, but not with the kdis. preparing mentally for the trip this upcoming october.
seems to have good ideas and tips, but many of them are just common sense.
Paula
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really thought this had a lot of good information but wish I had bought the hard copy instead of the digital because it would be easier to reference the sections I wanted. This may force me to master the "notes" section.
Melissa
I was disappointed that this book did not say if certain rides, restaurants, and attractions were good or bad. There was a lot of information, but very little that didn't sound like Disney wrote it - no critiques.
Brandi Barnes
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone planning a trip to WDW with kids
Imformative book. I like that it has favorite attractions broken out by age for each of the parks. "The Scare Factor" and "Helpful Hints" are very useful, too. Very good basic book without being too overwhelming.
Carrie Marshall
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This type of book is a must have for the frequent Disney Goer. Or even a 1st timer if you want a perfect trip. Lots of good advice and super time saving and money saving tips. I live near Disney, and have been there probably 100 times since I was a kid and I still learned from this book!
Carly
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Headed here with the kiddies in a few weeks and this book was surprisingly helpful! 512 pages of great tips to help the adults survive it all...
Carrie
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great resource, full of useful tips-excellent for a parent that's going or considering going to WDW. Gearing up for our trip at the end of the month! :-)
Hannah
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
This book is a little outdated, but it still gives good tips about WDW. And F.Y.I, I read it because I was bored.
Kelly
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and easy to move through. Filled with great tips, but all of the information is the same you would find on disney websites.
Jane
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot believe you need to read a book to surive Disney World, but I'm glad I did. Very helpful and informative!
Kelly
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Less scientific than the unofficial guide but it had some unique tips and ideas.
Jenny
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to go!
Paula
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #7 for 2012. - Very helpful guide for planning a Disney World vacation.
Kayla
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Fun to read, as well as a must! I can't wait until May!
  • Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2007 (Birnbaum Guides)
  • The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2015
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World
  • Indefensible (Kate Lange #2)
  • Bicycle Shop Murder (Greg Tenorly Suspense Series, #1)
  • Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Faces (REPACKAGED)
  • Fodor's New York City 2012
  • Arresting Holli
  • A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband: with Bettina's Best Recipes (Bettina, #1)
  • Finished Being Fat: An Accidental Adventure in Losing Weight and Learning How to Finish
  • The Unofficial Guide to Washington, D.C.
  • How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune
  • Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera
  • Truth Be Told: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable Moments, Funniest Jokes, and a Half Century of Asking Questions
  • Family Home Evening Resource Book