Start by marking “Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future” as Want to Read:
Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future

Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future

(Morning Glories Vol 1: 1-6)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  8,911 Ratings  ·  802 Reviews
Morning Glory Academy

One of the most prestigious prep schools in the country...But behind it's hallowed doors something sinister and deadly lurks. When six brilliant but troubled new students arrive, they find themselves trapped and desperately seeking answers...and escape from a place where nothing is what it seems to be!
Published March 2nd 2011 by Image Comics (first published February 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Morning Glories, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning Glories, Vol. 1

Anne
I've heard some bad things about this one, but the first volume really sucked me in! Now, whether or not it's going to continue to do so is up for grabs...

description

Six very different teenagers go to a prestigious boarding school.
But mystery and danger lurk in the shadowy hallways!

description

Ok, so the gist seems to be that there is some (potentially ancient?) eeeeevil organization that for whatever reason wants to use and/or mold some of these students into...?
MYSTERY IS MYSTERIOUS.
And I loved every minute of it!
Raeleen Lemay
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS
mark monday
May 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comicon
i think there are a lot of reviewers out there who genuinely enjoy writing negative reviews. sad to say, i'm not one of them. writing a bad review mainly just reminds me of the time i lost reading puerile crap rather than doing something pleasurable. in the case of Morning Glories, playing with my cat or taking a nap or jerking off would have been a more memorable experience.

so this is about a boarding school for teenagers who were all born on the same day. mysterious events are afoot in this si
Sam Quixote
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
SPOILERS

Starting points - they're easy enough to create but it's developing them and turning them into something and then ending them that makes a story. Unless you're creating a lengthy series in which case, say, in the first book of a comic book series you introduce a load of characters and throw in a barnyard full of starting points to be developed later. And that's precisely what you get with "Volume 1: For a Better Future".

Except it's not enough. It's not enough to introduce a number of te
Felicia
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I almost gave this 5 stars, I had a hard time deciding! REALLY REALLY well-drawn characters, interesting and startling plotting, enough Lost-ish mysteries and twists to keep you going, a great guilty pleasure. Despite being fairly apathetic about teenagers, couldn't put it down, I'm excited to keep up with this comic!
Sesana
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
There's absolutely nothing new about a sinister and/or mysterious boarding schools. YA is busting at the seams with them. Morning Glories isn't particularly innovative or convincing in the field. Yes, the school in question is particularly sinister, but it's in an almost cartoonish way, evil for the sake of being evil. I don't know why, exactly, these particular teachers are so brutal towards the students. I don't know the classrooms are perfectly built deathtraps. I don't know why there's a wei ...more
Evgeny
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Six very different students found themselves to be roommates in one of the most prestigious schools: Morning Glory Academy. They soon realize the school has some very sinister secrets and people getting killed are not that uncommon occurrence. Soon they have to fight for their own survival.

The first thing noticeable about the graphic novel is the quality of artwork: it is good and distinctive. Some of the comics suffer from people's faces being drawn very similar to the point of being indistingu
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
This series is basically Lost meets Gossip Girl meets Locke & Key, and I'm loving it!! Super excited to read the next volume.
Ronyell
Morning Glories

Introduction:

I have read so many comics from Image Comics and I have been enjoying many of them so far! So, I stumbled upon this new series written by Nick Spencer called “Morning Glories Volume One: For a Better Future” and this is honestly my first comic book that I had read by Nick Spencer. Now, when I first saw this comic book, I actually thought that this series was something similar to the premise of “X-Men” where the main characters have special powers and learn how to control them. Ho
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Morning Glories Volume 1 was probably the most disappointing comic that I read during this binge, but not because it was bad necessarily. It was just a little too confusing. What is the purpose of this school? What is this weird ghost thing that seems to be living within the school? What is the significance of each of the students sharing the same birthday? The characters are pretty cool so far, but I still need to learn a lot more about them. I haven’t picked up volume 2 yet, but I wil
Rosanna Threakall
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was really invigorating and interesting!

Not really a fan of how it ended as I don't feel satisfied at all and am not able to pick up the next volume for a while.

The art was amazing and it's an interesting story, though slightly sloppishly executed.

Overall, a great read!
Leah
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

So, when I went to the library on Tuesday to vote, I decided to browse the graphic novels for some quick reads. There were a lot of volume 2 through whatever other number, but not that many volume 1s to pick from. I saw that this had all of the volumes available, so I grabbed the first three.

The writing:

Honestly, not that great. FOR A BETTER FUTURE felt like it was trying a little too hard to be this deep mystery, but all I felt while reading it was dissatisfaction. Had I not grabbed m
David
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: genius birthday girls, sociopathic teenagers, dismembering ghosts
It is hard to describe the plot of Morning Glories since by the end of Volume 1, all it's done is raised a ton of questions and answered none of them. The go-to comparison for this graphic novel series seems to be "Lost," which I was not particularly a fan of, but I can see the similarities: weird mysteries that just keep getting weirder, and sometimes the sneaking suspicion that even the writers don't know where they're going and are just dropping Chekhov's Guns all over the place with the inte ...more
Jeannette Nikolova
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Also available оn the WondrousBooks blog.

The good news is, it doesn't totally suck. The bad news is, it's confusing, weird and not very memorable.

I would not deny that there is a story somewhere there behind all the teenage angst drama and the glorification of the main character based on reasons unknown.

The story of Morning Glories is set in a prestige private boarding school where something dark and bloody is going on. The story is interesting enough to push you to read forward, but ultimatel
Frannie Pan
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I don't even now where to start with this one.
It's absolutely, 100%, entirely messed up. Is that a good beginning enough?!

Six teenagers, three girls and three guys from all over the United States, get accepted in this prestigious prep school in New York. It'll be the beginning of something new and definitely different, a neat cut from all they were used to before, their path towards knowledge and.. more.

Forgive me for being such a cliché for saying this but.. this was one helluva a surprise. I
J
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Not quite sure how to feel about this one.

The plot was slightly intriguing and it was gory, but I don't feel like the plot can possibly be profound or compelling at all from what I have seen so far. But this was enjoyable for a short comic. I can't say for sure if I will continue the series but if I do, it'll be because Casey (MC; blonde girl on the cover) turned out to be a little badass.

Characters: B+ Likable, but these personality combinations are tried and true in the world of horror. All-A
Michael
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Delving into the world of comic books and graphic novels, it's hard to know where to start. Oh sure, there are the big names in the field and the superhero dramas that I read growing up. But at some point, I feel like I want to branch out a bit and try something new or different. The question, as always, is where do I start?

My local library offers a wide variety of graphic novels and collected arcs from various comic books. That's a huge help given the sometimes higher entry price point for such
Jim Truong
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Andy
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I picked this up on a whim the other day having heard a lot of hype on line. I enjoyed it but I'm left with mixed feelings. The characters are interesting enough though a little generic, some better developed than others, the dialogue is natural though reminiscent of Joss Whedon (not a bad thing mind) and we're thrown right in at the deep end plot wise. This book is all about mystery.

Many (many) concepts are thrown out there with absolutely nothing explained. That intrigues and worries me. I'm s
Nicolo Yu
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital-comics
This book reminds me of the television show "Lost" where it started with a mystery to hook followers into the show. But really, the main draw for me are the gorgeous Rodin Esquejo covers of every iteration of this title, in the single issues and collected editions. Not to say that interior artist Joe Eisma is a slouch, he isn't. Eisma's crisp lines are much as the core of Morning Glories as are Nick Spencer's deft characterization of our six main protagonist. However, I would pay for Esquejo's i ...more
rachel 🌻
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to rachel 🌻 by: Irena

Now that is how you write a graphic novel. I'm speechless! I didn't know what this book was about before going into it, and now I'm dying for the next volume (thank God, I borrowed it at the same time and don't have to wait).

Thanks for the rec, Irena! I know what you mean now.
Irena
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One excellent graphic novel! I'll try to review it later, but there's no any guarantees.
Completely Melanie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this graphic novel yet. It's about this prep school where weird things are going on. I'm not even sure what the weird things are yet, but I know lots of people die. Not a great description I know, but that's really the best I got for this. I think it may make more sense if I read more of them. I think I would read more of them if I was able to get them used or at a good discount.
Alexandra
Apr 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
welp. that'll teach me to buy a graphic novel just cause it's super cheap. in fact, I should have been alerted to how bad it was because it was marked down so much. next time I'll be more wary.

I'm not really sure where to begin except to say this was baaaaaaad.

bad enough that it took me 3-4 DAYS to read when ordinarily I get through most graphic novels in an hour or two, depending. but I had to really force myself to keep picking this one up. didn't want to waste my $6.42, so I made myself fin
Gavin
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another Humble Bundle Image giveaway...

Not sure what I was expecting...was this the Faculty? Yet another evil school,for kids where no one believes them?

I know I usually hate over explanation, when the writer tells you instead of shows you, but this is the polar opposite, where they show you shit that doesn't come close to giving ANY clues or explanations.
Happy medium of some context and some mystery would be better.

I don't know what the school does, I don't know why they're here, I assume they'
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I saw this recommended somewhere, so I decided to give it a read. It's hard to get a feel for the series, just based on this one volume, but it's definitely different. Kind of like it's going in the X-Men School for Gifted Youngsters direction, but much more sinister. The schoolmistress is a piece of work, and I hope she gets what she deserves at some point in this series. I don't like to see youngsters harmed, and there's a lot of that. Also, this is quite bloody. Not all of the main characters ...more
Savannah
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, library-copy
There are a lot of things going on in this first volume, and there are unanswered questions which makes it more apparent that I need to comtinue with the series to find out any sort of resolution.

I think the pacing of the graphic novel was great but I think it lacked an over aching plot. I didn't understand what this academy was mainly focused on or what some of the characters actions were. Although I did like the sort of back and forth storytelling it had at points.

I'll be continueing with th
Elena
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I struggled to get into the story, but it got SO freakin' good! Even though I expected the artwork to be just as on the cover, and I was disappointed to find out it's not, it totally grew on me. Can't wait to dive into the next one. There are TONS of questions I need answers for!!
Lisa
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm not entirely sure what just happened, but I love it and I want more!!
Jessi
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New fave graphic novel! Can't wait to continue on with this series!!
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 1: Intimate Strangers
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends
  • Invincible, Vol. 15: Get Smart
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 1
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me (Fatale, #1)
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers (The Sixth Gun, #1)
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1
  • Mystery Society
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).
“That's it?!! You threw a blanket on her? She's not invisible, you dumb bitch!” 7 likes
“I guess you think this is some kind of character-building exercise, too, then??"

"Do you REALLY think the last thing I'm gonna do before I die is admit someone else was right??”
5 likes