Start by marking “Please Don't Stop The Music” as Want to Read:
Please Don't Stop The Music

Please Don't Stop The Music (Yorkshire Romances #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,271 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Jemima Hutton is determined to build a successful new life and keep her past a dark secret. Trouble is, her jewellery business looks set to fail - until enigmatic Ben Davies offers to stock her handmade belt buckles in his guitar shop and things start looking up, on all fronts.

But Ben has secrets too. When Jemima finds out he used to be the front man of hugely successful I
Published February 1st 2011 by Choc Lit (first published January 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Please Don't Stop The Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Stop The Music

RLA
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow... Just wow! I am almost speechless about how much I loved this book.

I have to admit that I was rather sceptical at first, but since it won the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year award I wanted to give it a go. By the time I was 20 pages in I was 100% hooked!

There is so much abut this book that is simply brilliant - the honest and hilariously funny dialogue, a brilliant cast of characters, and the hints to the secrets were weaved throughout the story like a master.

Oh, the hero's story is so hear
Giedre
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overall he looked like a man who'd been dressed from the rag-bag and then run over by a lawn mower.

The hero's a skinny emotional mess with a questionable sense in fashion. He was also the best thing about this book. Everything else? Meh. The heroine was alright, but her backstory was a smidge too much for me. To be honest, I didn't even feel that much chemistry between the hero and the heroine. But mostly what dragged this book down into the mediocre category was the ridiculous side plot.
Stephanie Davies
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Georgie
You know the plots you've read 110 times before - the ones you can see coming a mile off? This isn't one of them. It's got "real" people, with proper problems, and an unsettling sense that this time Happy Ever After might just not be on the cards. So when h.e.a. does arrive, it's with a sense of real achievement - and not a little humour. There's also at least one Person You Love To Hate - though perhaps a little more could be made of their involvement (just a leetle farfetched). I've gone back ...more
Zili
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
As the winner of the 2012 Romantic Novelists' Association Romantic Novel of the Year Award I was expecting a great read and was not disappointed! I'm a sucker for a swoon worthy bad boy in tight jeans!

Jemima and Ben's story is sweet, sad, funny and at times heartbreaking! The story begins with struggling jewellery designer Jemima having a really bad day. A series of unfortunate events lead her to the withdrawn and also secretive former rock god Ben. Jemima is secretive and beautiful, with bucket
Louise
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
For a chic-lit book, the two main characters have such a screwed up life.
Leah
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jemima Hutton is a talented jewellery designer with a dark past, but after being dumped by her only buyer, she has no idea how she’s going to carry on making money. Until she walks into Ben Davies’ guitar shop and her offers to carry her belt buckles as long as they sell. Jemima is intrigued by Ben, who shies away from people, and when she learns he was once part of uber-successful band Willow Down, she can’t help but wonder why he quit in the middle of their American tour. But if Jemima wants B ...more
Nisha-Anne
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
It's strange. I absolutely adored this book when I began, was snorting out loud at one in the morning because the writing was so shockingly hilarious and the voice so fabulously strong. An unmistakeable voice which is something I highly highly appreciate in any writer but especially one writing here and now. So I loved it, loved it, loved it.

The spelling of Iggy Pop with an 'ie' kinda made me blink. But I did love the musical references. Actually I loved all the pop culture references, totally r
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
Jemima (a jewellery maker) met local artist Jason when she moved to York a year and a half ago, and in turn, moved in with a new friend Rosie (who makes cards). All three share a workshop and Jason and Jemima help with Rosie's little baby boy. Rosie and Jason know that Jem is secretive and isn't interested in romantic relationships, but always question why.

When Saskia, a snotty shop owner who stocks Rosies cards and Jems jewellery, decides to drop Jem as a supplier, Jem trys to convince local Yo
Barbara Elsborg
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ahh - really liked it. It's a study of the sort of damaged characters I love. I think it's a bit like my stories but there's a lot less sex in this! Some great one liners, fascinating characters. I loved the angst, the reveal, the language. A definite keeper for me. It's an ebook and I want the paperback! I don't even want to give the synopsis - you have to read it not knowing anything except for the fact that it's a sweet romance with dark secrets and it ends happily.
Tina Reber
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it very much. 4.5 for almost making me cry at one or two places.
Caroline
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, the best impulse buy of the past twelve months.

A positive review and an intriguing blurb led me to hope for a slightly unusual romantic mystery. A few pages into the book I realised that it was far, far more. Behind the smooth, captivating development of the plot and characters lies a firm, confident and very skilled hand.

Ms Lovering pulls off some extraordinary technical feats with such ease and panache that they almost slip by unnoticed. Holding back the revelation of the fi
Emmie Dark
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I bought this book on the strength of a really positive review on Dear Author and because I was looking for some smart, humorous single title romance to read.

When it arrived in the mail the day before yesterday, I read the first two pages and thought, Uh Oh. This book did not grab me. Also it's in first person, which I have a personal aversion to.

I had already gone and bought the book though, so I perservered. And so glad I did. Once the book hit its stride (and for me, that wasn't until well
Carol W
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Meet Jemima Hutton - Self employed belt buckle designer who lodges with her friend Rosie and Rosie's young baby Harry.
Whilst searching the streets of York for stockists for her belt buckles Jemima meets Ben Davies - One time Indie Rock Star who now hides in his little out of the way guitar shop.

Add Jason, the resident artist, Saskia, business owner (what is her hold over Jem and Rosie?) and hubby Alex and you have a mix of lovable characters all with their own secrets. Some deeper than others.

Be
Carla
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Summary: The owner of the shop that sells Jemima Hutton’s handcrafted jewelry suddenly decides to drop her. Jemima trudges through the streets of York to find another store that will sell her stuff. She doesn’t have any luck until she finds the out-of-the-way music store of Ben Davies. Even though he doesn’t think his type of customers will be interested, he agrees to try to sell the music-themed belt buckle she has with her. If he succeeds, he will consider stocking her other pieces.

Ben is a my
Susan
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
First and last lines of the book are great, but everything in between is a melodramatic mess. I'm a sucker for romances with a music theme but sadly although the hero is a former rock star there are almost no scenes related to music. Just two incredibly wounded people who keep running away from each other - first he's too damaged, then she's too damaged, etc. etc. And considering the heroine is supposed to be a jeweler, wouldn't it be a good idea if the author had learned how to spell "jewelry?" ...more
Lyndaa
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I good romance story about a famous rockstar who suddenly, inexplicably quits the band and disappears into oblivion and a woman running away from her past. One day she calls into a guitar shop in York to see if they will sell her jewellery designs and meets the skinny, scruffy shop owner. I read this in 1 day and really enjoyed it.
Ross Leckridge
Mar 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Don't know why I bothered finishing this book, as I didn't enjoy it from pretty early on. The story line was totally unbelievable, which had me shaking my head and dismissing several of the key points. It did have a few funny lines, but not enough to make up for the poor story....
Kristie Scarle
Jan 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have no idea what the title has to do with the story. Okay, that's not quite true - but it's a very tenous link.

I also guessed the baby daddy very early on.

It reminded me of the only time I've tried to write a book - when I was 16. Luckily for you I threw the 2 chapters straight in the bin!
Natalie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Gave up after a few chapters. Point made.
Jasmine
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an excellent read. I cannot find any more words to articulate how much I thoroughly enjoyed this story - of love, fear and secret past.
Zoe
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
jem is the mosT Irritating character ever goodness
Maarit Aaltonen
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I loved this book! Just as I loved Jane Lovering's other books I've read so far! Loved Jemima and Ben and their complicated stories. Lovering really makes you fall in love with her characters...they're not perfect, but life never is. And yet this story is just perfect!
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: choc-lit
I ignored everyone and everything around me until I had read Please Don’t Stop the Music from cover to cover in one sitting. It wasn’t only the promised Dark Secrets that were responsible for this, but also the characters. In Jane’s book, they’re refreshingly different to the ones you often find between the pages of a romantic novel. The characters in Please Don’t Stop the Music are very much an “alternative” cast: they certainly don’t have perfect lives, nor are they perfect themselves. These a ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Plot:

Jemima Hutton makes belt buckles, and that leads her into the guitar store owned by Ben Davies. They both have secrets, and they both need someone.

My thoughts:

What can I say, it was real. I like this kind of romance. You know where a couple meet, are friends, and then something slowly builds up. It is real, it's life, there are doubts, and there is love.

Jemima is young woman trying to build a life. She is nice, but she is also broken. Why we do not know. But there are hints, something has h
LindyLouMac
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing

This is the third title by Jane Lovering that I have read and reviewed here and that is because Jane found me, rather than me discovering her writing for myself. I am so pleased she did as otherwise I may never have read one of her books. The first one was Reversing Over Liberace which I reviewed last October. The second one was Slightly Foxed I enjoyed the latter as much if not slightly more, as it was realistic, the first one I had found somewhat farcical.
At last I have got round to reading P
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Secrets push friends and lovers apart. Secrets make life unbearable. Secrets keep Jemima running from her past. It doesn’t matter how far she runs, her past always lurks like a dark shadow in the background.
A quiet country village is full of secrets. Jemima believes she is the only one hiding something. She doesn’t know how wrong she is.

Jemima makes ornate jewellery, but when her main customer cancels her order it leaves her in a state of shock. She takes her wares into York and after a dishea
Samantha March
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jemima Hutton needs to keep her past a secret. She knows if it gets out, her new friends wouldn’t want anything to do with her. She is determined to build a successful life, and is having good luck with her jewelry making business, until her lucky streak ends. When she meets the reclusive Ben Davies at his guitar shop, she begs him to stock her jewelry, and he agrees. As Jemima and Ben’s friendship grows, Jemima knows Ben is hiding a secret. He used to be a rock star, front man of a popular band ...more
Morgan
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

Please Don’t Stop The Music was an incredible novel about a retired rock star. It was completely original, surprising and romantic. I have read a lot of rock star novels recently, but this one stood out. In my opinion, this was a one of kind story.

I absolutely adored Jemima and Ben’s story. Their secrets were shocking and heartbreaking, but also inspirational. I was stunned and extremely pleased with their big rev
Lucie Wheeler
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a fantastic book!

There was no other way to start this review, I can't believe it took me so long to pick it up and read - I loved it!

Jane Lovering's style of writing is fun and extremely easy to read. I found myself sitting down to read it and easily reading 3/4 chapters without realising it. The story flowed really nicely and I warmed straight away to the characters, (well, not to Saskia, but you will know why when you read the book!)

I am an avid follower of Jane Lovering on her bl
  • Turning The Tide
  • Love & Freedom
  • Falling Star (Earth Scents, #1)
  • The UnTied Kingdom
  • For All the Right Reasons (Band of Brothers, #1)
  • The Silent Touch of Shadows
  • I Love The 80s
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • The Silver Locket
  • Blindsided
  • Talk Me Down From The Edge
  • Tangled Web (Tangled Web, #1)
  • Rock Star's Girl (no longer in print)
  • The Distant Shore (Stone, #1)
  • Gilded Cage
  • Prime Time
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • The Dating Detox
Jane Lovering was born in Devon, England but, following extradition procedures, now lives in Yorkshire. She has five children, four cats, two dogs and doesn't believe in housework so the bacteria and dust are approaching sentience and now rank among the pets. Incidentally, she doesn’t believe in ironing either, and the children all learned self-defensive cookery at early ages. She works in a local ...more
More about Jane Lovering...

Yorkshire Romances (6 books)
  • Star Struck
  • Hubble Bubble
  • How I Wonder What You Are
  • I Don't Want To Talk About It
  • Can't Buy Me Love
“You know you're in for a bad day when the Devil eats your last HobNob.” 10 likes
“I know I have to give her that freedom. Otherwise I’ve just caged her, haven’t I? And what kind of love would it be, that only came from inside a box?” 7 likes