Start by marking “Zout op mijn huid” as Want to Read:
Zout op mijn huid

Zout op mijn huid

Zout op mijn huid is een roman over liefde die niet slijt of gedoemd is ten onder te gaan aan dagelijkse beslommeringen. Zij is een intellectuele Parisienne, hij een Bretonse zeeman. Hoewel hun verschillende leefstijlen hen tot vreemden hadden moeten maken, leidt hun ontmoeting tot een levenslange, hartstochtelijke verhouding. Benoîte Groult beschrijft op meeslepende wijze ...more
Published 2000 by Muntinga (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Zout op mijn huid, please sign up.

Start your review of Zout op mijn huid
Island
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first sight it seemed to be stupid love story. It has a stupid title and even more stupid cover. I would never have decided to open it if a friend of mine hadn't urged me to do so. And as I turned the pages one after the other, this book turned into one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I LOVE the 1992 movie, I didn't know it was a book, it's such a good movie with such a romantic, heartbreaking and beautiful story. My mom and I watch it every few years together.

The story is about George who is half French/half Scottish woman, who falls for Gavin McCall, a Scottish fisherman during her teens when on vacation to attend a wedding. They have a passionate one night stand, and they rekindle their love off and on through the story until they have a long affair until Gavin dies.

What I
Juliet Wilson
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This is a wonderful love story between two people who spent their childhood summers in the same village, but who grew up to live in entirely different worlds. George is a cultured (and rather snobbish) intellectual living mostly in Paris, Gavin is a Breton fisherman. Their relationship lasts through the decades, with them finding excuses to go meet up in the Seychelles, Montreal, Florida, Dakar to spend precious time together. The book is wonderfully written and is very honest about sex, never ...more
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having read Benoite Groult's autobiography I was excited to have found Salt on our Skin, her novel. I delayed reading it because I didn't want it to disappoint, but eventually sat down and read it over the Christmas period. Groult's style is eloquent and fluid, articulate and easy to read, but intellectually satisfying. Her story of love between a French academic and a Breton fisherman is beautifully written. There is a truth about the story which comes from Groult's own romantic experiences and ...more
Elfie
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naughty, emotional and sad. The story of a love that is incompatible (and they both are aware of it) and yet they can't let go of each other - such as can happen in life. The spelling of the title is incorrect, it's "Les vaisseaux du coeur", meaning the unromantic coronary vessels in English, but of course it's a double play on what supplies your heart. No idea what the English title is or if it has been translated at all.
Carrie Host
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book you never forget for lot's of reasons. You want so many things for each of them. Turning the pages is agony and ecstacy. See for yourself. Fifteen years later, I can still feel the final page.
Rita
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
orig. 1988 Les vaisseaux du coeur
For a highly recommended book that was popular for a long time, I had expected something better.
Then again, if I could have read this in the original French, it might have struck me very differently.

Maybe I'm just too old to want to read about a passionate love affair that never ends. I guess the author tries to show change in both the main characters in the course of their lives, because of this ongoing affair. But somehow it didn't grab me.

For me it is mildly
Paul Taylor
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to be a very rare reviewer of this book I’m sure.
Why? Because I’m a guy! And not only that, this is normally not my sort of book, but I have given it a top score!

This was given to me by female reading fanatic friend. I didn’t realise at the time but its quite hard to get hold of, so even for that it was a nice gift.

So I read a love story (I simplistically call it that but it’s a relationship story actually) under a promise and expect to speed-read it and politely say thanks. But what
volkhova
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: frances, 1920s
At first, reading this I was happily reminiscing feeling the way the main character felt and how I had someone I was unbearably attracted to once, but the pages went by and the book started to torture me with all the happiness they had being able to express their love and just living it, even in the circumstances they did it, which I didn’t have and probably never will.It made me think about adultery, is it justifiable if you know you could never have a true life with the person you love, and ...more
Jessy Clays
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best written books still for me, really love Benoite her writing style.
Natascha
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! I loved it! Really heart-breaking sometimes.
Oh Ana
Aug 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
boooooring . . .
Sayra
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an ok read,
the (love-)story was not spectacular, nothing really unexpected happened.
I liked the way the writer described everything, I liked how she threw sentences in there about life in general and I could feel how the main character was getting older, but still it's definetly not a hugely good book.
It's ok, it's better than being bored on the train, but it's not great literature.
Anne
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually didn't finish this novel, as the relationship between the two main characters failed to fascinate me. Other people I know liked the book better. I found the traveling all over the world of the lovers excessive for the amount of fulfillment they experienced (and delivered). Maybe I'll go back to it another time.
Molly Ringle
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can I not be intrigued by a book whose first line is, "First of all, what am I going to call him so his wife never knows?" And then follows that up with a rather hilarious discussion of how it's hard to write about sex and body parts without sounding ridiculous.

But she manages it. Lovely literary sex! How I do enjoy it when it's done well. Which it definitely is here: Groult's voice, as George (female, like George Sand), comes across as entirely relatable and wise and wry (and at the same
Caroline G'wattage
Considering it is a erotic novel, it is a very delicate and very powerful storyline, and shows how strong love can be when opposites attract, and what love makes you do.
This beautiful love story is a masterpiece.
A life long affair between a Parisian intellectual and a fisherman, a couple divided by everything.
They made a flame of passion, that stayed alive no matter what, and that is something to be treasured.
This is a book that has to be read it is so beautiful and so powerful.

A must read !
Kimberley
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I'm conflicted on this one. I don't like the narrator, which makes liking the book...difficult. And, yet,...the narrator speaks her truth without apology, which I respect. I was led to this book by another book, now I know why. I'm glad I read it, even though it wasn't what I expected.
Kelly
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
A+ 20th Century feminist French erotica.
Sissi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just pure romance ...more
Wendy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1980s, sexuality, french
This book has been collection dust on my shelves for several years. A friend of mine recommended it to me, but I wasn't sure why. Up until the point I actually started reading it. It's a poetic lovestory, but that's not all there is. It's about a woman choosing her own path in life, next to enjoying being adored by a man totally opposite of her. Groult puts feminism in a perspective I can connect to, and it's nice - at some point even reassuring - to see a woman her age (she was in her late ...more
Achtmhz
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sensual
Simone Pedroso
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I believe the original French text would be much more interesting than the dutch version. Alas: I can't read in French. I believe it is the same as to read Saramago on other language than Portuguese. The book seemed dry to me and I did not find one filament of DNA in common with George... At certain point the story got too repeated, I started to lose my patience and did speed reading from chapter 7 until chapter 10. The book is a feminism statement.
Alex
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
diary of a decadent, unpleasable, feminist cunt, romantazising her pseudo romantic, nihilistic lifestyle and hedonistic adventures with a bulky, brainless guy with a nice cock, who makes her (a spoiled, enpowered brat, from a rich household)feel like a real women, when she's in need for animalistic love and subordinance to the male prinicple.
Ireneamysoo
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the love between them is so mature and simple. I really can't imagine that it will happen in real life, but I love this story very much. when come to love someone, there is no value to judge it.....just love....
Sara
It was better than I thought it would be, but not like amazing . But I enjoyed reading it :)
Dragana
Dec 14, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Implausible romance evokes as much passion as shrieking seagulls and fish washed ashore.
Di
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read
First viewed as a movie, a book with questions I enjoyed.
Eugenia
I was a bit boring, a bit more adult than I am, but the LOVE was wonderful, I wish I loved someone in such a way.
Monique
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-romance
date started re-read: 22-09-2017
Anne R
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book . It makes you want to read all her books.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions 2 12 Nov 12, 2018 02:17AM

• De wetten
  • Dit is mijn moeder
  • Het moois dat we delen
  • Moord op de moestuin
  • Turks Fruit
  • Liefde, als dat het is
  • De kunst van het ongelukkig zijn
  • Sprakeloos
  • Villa des Roses
  • De goede zoon
  • Façade
  • The Discovery of Heaven
“Du betrachtest das, was mit uns geschieht, ein wenig wie eine Krankheit. Wenn es eine ist, dann will ich nicht gesund werden. Der Gedanke, dass es Dich irgendwo gibt, und dass du manchmal an mich denkst, hilft mir zu leben.” 2 likes
“Letzten Endes ist das schönste Alter dasjenige, in dem man weiss, an welchen Träumen man am stärksten hängt, und in dem noch einige davon verwirklichen kann.” 2 likes