Start by marking “Remembrance” as Want to Read:
Remembrance

Remembrance

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  980 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Scotland, 1915. A group of teenagers from two families meet for a picnic, but the war across the Channel is soon to tear them away from such youthful pleasures. All too soon, the horror of what is to become known as The Great War engulfs them, their friends and the whole village. From the horror of the trenches, to the devastating reality seen daily by those nursing the wo ...more
Published 2003 by Corgi (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Remembrance, please sign up.
Hana I read this when I was around twelve, from what I remember, it was fine for me to read

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Remembrance
Olivia
{4.5 stars}

Loved, loved, loved this! So many emotions and unique characters. And just downright realistic. It was sad, but yet wonderful all at the same time.

I took a half star because I didn't like Maggie's attitude (women's right and all), but thankfully she wasn't as big on it by the end of the book and it added a different POV to the story. I loved the complexities that Francis had with the war and his struggles that were shown in his letters to Maggie. And then that scene with Alex toward
Kellyn Roth
I think I read this last year or the year before that when doing some research for WW1 ... and I honestly can't remember it all that well, so my rating isn't definite. I think I remember liking it, and yet being made miserable by it. Of course, that was also back when I liked every book I read because I never read books by modern authors, so ... yep.

Yes, I will write an actual review some day ... maybe. :P
Mimi
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, ww1
This is a book that I would like to own. The story mainly follows the lives of two families with five children, aged 15 to 21 when the story begins. They live in Scotland and all deal with World War I in vastly different ways. The book begins by focusing on two of the five, then switching over to a different two, then adding two more, and finishing with a focus on four of the original five. So, you read firsthand opinions of all of them. There are references to many works of literature and art t ...more
Kirsty
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Remembrance is written by Carnegie Medal-winning author Theresa Breslin, who has rather a lot of titles to her name. Its story is centered around the First World War, beginning as it does in the summer of 1915 and spanning the remainder of the conflict. The premise is that in a small Scottish village named Stratharden, the Great War ‘is to alter the course of five young lives for ever’.

A group of teenagers, all of whom live within the village, are brought together at a picnic and become firm fri
DubaiReader
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was completely bowled over by the Audio version of this book (sadly, abridged).
It was so tastefully written and so beautifully read by Frances Thorburn and Gary Bakewell. I shall definitely keep this to listen to again and intend to read the full written version at some time too.

The five main characters are aged bewteen 14 and 23 at the time of WWI, The Great War. We meet them as the guns of war are starting to be heard over the chanel, yet picnics on a sunny day are still a glorious option.
Maryana
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior-fiction
An amazing account of World War I which covers with sensitivity and realism almost every aspect of the conflict from the eyes of four teenagers. For anyone who enjoyed reading "A Rose For The Anzac Boys" this book is a must-read. (In my opinion it may even be slightly better)
Caitlin
This was so good! The beginning was a little slow and at first I was a tiny bit worried that perhaps it wouldn't be as good as I hoped. But the writing style was lovely throughout, and the plot/tension built slowly and steadily over the course of the story. I enjoyed each of the characters, although Francis was my favorite, followed by Alex and Charlotte. Francis' letters and Charlotte's experiences as a nurse show the ugliness and reality of war in a way that is poignantly realistic, yet withou ...more
16BlandfordI
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This book was a lovely and memorable book to read, and I would recommend it to ages 12 and above. I loved this book because of all the realism of the 1st world war that you get to read about. As you follow the lives of 5 young people during the war, you come to realise that it wasn't just the soldiers that saw the realism, but the nurses serving in the hospitals as well and how it changed the way they lived, talked, and thought about the world after the war.
Heather
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set during World War I, Remembrance is a fantastic historical fiction book. It portrays the excitement, horror, and heartbreak of war in an honest way through narration as well as letters between the characters. It is so incredibly well-written. The writing evokes many emotions and transports the reader to the 19-teens. I very highly recommend this book to young teens and up who are learning about World War I.
Linley
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-star-reads
World War 1 through the eyes of teens who went with optimism and returned with a very different view. This book brings home to the reader just how much was lost by so many and how radical changes came to women's working lives.

Recommended to Y9-13 (ages 13-18) waning to read more of historical world events.
Megan  (thebookishtwins)
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Fans. Those who want to read books about the first world war.
Actual Rating - 3.5 stars

I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

Charlotte knew that in times like this there was no difference in class or wealth or religion or race; that people cried, and wept, and broke with sorrow - in Britain and in France, in Belgium and Russian, and in Germany too.

Remembrance follows the lives of four teenagers. Francis, a pacifist who opposes the war. Charlotte and Maggie, two young nurses who tend to the wounded, wanting to help and find themselves. John,
Sophia
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
[Review first posted at Quite Spectacular]

The year is 1915 and the war has already gone on longer than predicted. Two sets of siblings become friends in the unlikeliest circumstances just before the realities of the war begin to permeate their lives. Focusing on the fighting and life back home, the story follows the friends through the thick of it and the aftermath.

Remembrance was stirring, thought-provoking, and heartbreaking. I rarely read anything about World War I - the last being The Last
Janet
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve not read anything by this author before, but I was drawn to this book because of my interest in reading novels about World War 1. It felt familiar, like I’d read about it before somewhere. It turns out that I had it on my Amazon Wishlist - I must have added it at least 3 years ago! (I bought it in a charity shop and it was in the adult section - the cover, whilst pretty, doesn't make it look like a childrens book).

As I started reading this book, I was rather surprised by the tone of it. It
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Even though the writing was good and solid, this book was kind of "blah" to me. Was definitely left with a deep impression of how much life was lost during the World War I era and how pointless that war seemed. I will say that the author did a great job creating a high degree of authenticity (you can tell she did a lot of research). Other than that, the book didn't seem to really resolve a lot of issues or make any important points. Seemed like something was missing...but not sure what it was.
QNPoohBear
This is a powerful novel of how WWI affects two families, one upper class and one working class. Young men dream of war and of peace; two young women must figure out whether their destinies lie with the traditions of their families or somewhere greater. Though this book was sad, I really liked the coming-of-age stories of the two young women and the honest portrayal of war.
Trishelle  Lin
Despina
2019 ONTD Reading Challenge
JUNE - My Friend With a Bike: Read a book about a friendship (or where friendship is a main theme).

Well researched and excellently written take on the drama of WW1 from the perspective of a group of young friends living in Scotland.
Missy Cahill
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh, didn't really grab me at all. I found it a bit of a trek to read. Wouldn't be my cup of tea now.
Missy Cahill
Sadly didnt love this book as much as I wanted to. I didn't find any of the characters pleasant or interesting in the slightest. Meh.
Isabella
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Average. i had to read it for school, which always makes books seem a bit worse, for me.
Natalie Kate
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't believe how long it took me to read the 303 pages of this book..it was amazing though. definitely recommend to everyone.
Kirsty
How it has taken me so long to read this I don’t know. Perfect YA historical fiction focusing both on roles of men and women.
Vee_Bookish // stan shea couleé
(This cover is so freaking gorgeous xkdkdka\bfkj\slnvlngvsn)

Although I know a fair amount about it, I haven't read many books about the First World War. I think the Second World War was so big that most of the stories tend to be set there, which is a real shame because the First World War was just as horrific and just as important. Remembrance covers lots of things, from women finding their feet in this new era to post traumatic stress disorder, something that wasn't known about at the time.

Ther
Monica Tolva
When World War I doesn’t end conveniently at Christmas 1914, as everyone had hoped and expected, its growing costs and hunger for young British men starts to eat away at the Brits, especially 2 families in a small town.

John Malcolm and his twin sister Maggie view the war in very different ways: John Malcolm is anxious to join up.
He says in a letter. Read back of book.

Maggie views it as a chance to get away from her boring home and see something and learn about the world. She begins to read
Liesl
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved this book growing up, so it was interesting coming back and rereading it. I doubt if I had read it now for the first time, it would have been so high on my favourites list. The characters aren't the best developed and feel a bit like stock WW1 characters: the conscientious objector, the nurse, the munitions worker. The story is also fairly slow-moving too, with only a handful of major plot moments.
But for getting students interested in the history of WW1? Fantastic. Theresa Br
Theresa
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started as a rather typical 3-star story of World War I. But as it progressed, I liked it more and more. The setting is a rather small Scottish village and the plot revolves around two families, one wealthy and aristocratic and the other struggling with a shop in the town. Both send their sons to war and in the end realize that bullets and poison gas and the horrors of war do not recognize privilege. Much of the story is told through letters written by the wealthy son to the daughter o ...more
Bjipson
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cindy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I wasn’t expecting such depth from this book! At first I had a hard time accepting the believability of the wisdom of such young kids, but then I remembered the era and that maturity seemed to happen faster then than with today’s youth. War is horrible no matter what, and the author does a wonderful job of describing the physical and emotional aspects. I loved the author’s way with words! I loved the friendship between Francis and Maggie and how her intuition lead her to help Francis throug ...more
Vivian
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book set in Scotland in The Great War. The author did a good job of portraying both sides of young people going to war—those who were Uber patriotic and could not wait to go and one who although he lived his country, struggled to fight in a war that he felt was ill advised and poorly run. Also interesting we’re the women’s desires to serve at a time when women did not work outside the home as a rule. This book really drives home the fact that most soldiers, if they even survive a war ...more
Hannah  Dahl
Upper Grades (6)
Historical Fiction

I quite surprised that I enjoyed this book to be honest. Historical fiction is not really my cup of tea, but this book was very good. I think that Breslin does a phenomenal job of writing two love stories into this very real time of war. She made it so easy to imagine being in the story with Maggie and Charlotte. I appreciated the growth that was so obvious in Charlotte, Francis, Maggie and Alex. I think that a 6th grade student that is very proficient in readin
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Wait for Me
  • Private Peaceful
  • The Skylarks’ War
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • When in Rome...
  • Little White Lies
  • Learning Curves
  • Breaking & Mending: A Doctor’s Story of Burnout and Recovery
  • Shattered
  • Those Who Are Loved
  • Mafiosa (Blood for Blood, #3)
  • Inferno (Blood for Blood, #2)
  • Vendetta (Blood for Blood, #1)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Nachtblauw
  • Kill or Be Killed
  • Hekla's Children
Theresa Breslin was born and brought up in Kirkintilloch, a small town in central Scotland. She is the recipient of the Carnegie Medal, Britain's most prestigious children's book award, for Whispers in the Graveyard, and her books for young people receive critical acclaim and appear regularly on children's book award short lists in the United Kingdom. A longtime librarian, Breslin was awarded life ...more