Start by marking “Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice, #5)” as Want to Read:
Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice, #5)

Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice #5)

Michael Westen is still in Miami, trying to survive as a spy without a country. Brent Grayson is a nineteen-year-old college kid who claims to own a company that doesn't really exist. And Michael has to save Brent's father from loan sharks and fend off sinister Russian businessman who see every takeover as an opportunity to be hostile.
Published July 5th 2011 by Signet (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Burn Notice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn Notice

Marla
Jul 10, 2011 Marla rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
Another good 'Burn Notice' book and this one in a few short lines here and there did one thing the actual show hasn't been able to do, and that's give me a reason as to why Michael's so keen on figuring out who burned him and going back to being a spy. I've always kind of agreed with Fiona when she questioned why he was so keen on pursuing his quest and this book finally gave some insight that made sense to me.
Plus this book has Sugar in it. Then, about 3/4 of the way through, brought in Barry t
John
Jun 17, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Another fun, solid entry in the series. The story is a little weak, but, except for being a little too political, Goldberg absolutely nails the feel of the show and the voices of the characters. His writing is far better and much more clever than what you generally expect from TV show tie-in novels, and Goldberg apparently realizes that--which is possibly why this book is his Burn Notice swan song. Too bad. I would have liked to see him continue for as long as possible.
ladywallingford
Dec 18, 2011 ladywallingford rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, burn-notice
It's not bad...for the most part, I even think the author got the characterizations right on par with the series. However, it's hard novelizing some of the aspects of the show in my opinion and it shows. I would definitely read more though.
Giovanni Gelati
Jul 23, 2011 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure to interview Tod Goldberg yesterday on my blogtalk radio show The G-ZONE; he was a blast! I will put the link a little further below. Now that being said, I had finished the novel a little bit ago but wanted to wait until I got a chance to listen to him before I put this out. For those of us that have enjoyed this series of novels thus far, I want to say thanks to Tod Goldberg for 5 fun reads. Sadly “The Bad Beat” is his swan song as he moves on to other projects we can look f ...more
Shazza Maddog
Sep 25, 2011 Shazza Maddog rated it liked it
Tod Goldberg has written a fun fanfiction - er, sorry, novel - about the characters in the USA station's Burn Notice. It has pretty much everyone in the novel, including minor characters, Sugar, the drug dealer, and Barry, the money launderer.

In this particular story, Sam gets Michael (and Fiona and Maddy) involved when Sugar contacts Sam regarding a friend/client of his, Brent, and Brent's need for help with some Russians. Sugar led Sam to believe this would be an in and out proposition, but B
Bill
Jul 12, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
My least favorite of the series of Burn Notice books. This one seemed shorter to me. I enjoyed the twists, even though they were somewhat predictable and I loved that I could hear Michael, Fi and Sam in my head while I read their parts. What I didn't like was how the Brent character was simply too much of a "stupid teenager" to be believable to me. I think the author went too far with that. Also, in this book the author decided to make the cast all hardcore liberal Democrats, blasting Republican ...more
Martin
The first book in which I thought the author managed to get the tone of the characters and series throughout his book. the plot took twists and turns you didn't see coming, in part because I'm still not sure they made a lot of sense. I think the overall plot of book #3 was better, but he didn't do as good a job bringing it through the Burn Notice viewpoint as he did this one. I felt like Mike and Sam had some sense of their TV show humor about them, and Fiona was FINALLY more than just a female ...more
Jackie
Jul 13, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
I haven't - in the past - been awfully fond of books based on tv series. This particular book is noticeably different.

Mr. Goldberg captured the characters perfectly! I have been a fan of the Burn Notice series on tv since the very first episode. As I read this book (available from the library for my Nook) I could just hear the characters' voices in my head. The dialogue, the plot and the execution of the whole was absolutely spot-on. I felt like I was watching the program in my head, it was so
Lee
This Burn Notice book covers a adventure not covered by the tv series. Michael is brought in by his former drug dealing neighbor Sugar to help one of his clients who is being threatened by loan sharks attempting to collect gambling debts owned by his father and the Russian Mafia who is after a fake technological advancement that he created for a school project and used to embezzle money from them. Ok read
Mark Baker
Aug 03, 2011 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, mystery
What Sam and Michael think is a simple job of helping out a guy hounded by loan sharks becomes much more complex when they find Russian mobsters are also after the guy. While the climax felt weak, overall the book was still good.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Doris
Jun 19, 2012 Doris rated it really liked it
I'm so amazed when I read books based on TV series by writers that don't write for the show but absolutely nail the characters' voices and actions one-hundred percent. The plots here was equally well woven. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Elizabeth
Feb 28, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I'm on a Burn Notice kick, so of course I enjoyed this book. It's a super quick read, and if you like the show, you'll love the books. You can hear Jeffrey Donovan's voice when you read the spy tips, and the characters are very true to the ones on the show. Fast and fun.
Mary
May 08, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
The writing follows the same style as the show. I can hear Michael's voice as I read. It's a quick read.
Gillian
Jul 16, 2012 Gillian rated it liked it
If you like the show, you will like the book. Easy read.
Joel Gomes
Aug 14, 2012 Joel Gomes rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
As good as a two part episode, only it lasts longer. Excellent tie-in. Michael, Sam, Fionna and all the other character are as vivid on ink as they are on the screen. Goldberg truly delivers.
Nat
Jan 11, 2012 Nat rated it it was amazing
Tod Goldberg writes all the characters so well that I can hear Michael, Fiona and Sam in my head!
Starfire
Feb 04, 2012 Starfire rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-tie-in, action
Fun. Silly. Everything I expect from a Burn Notice book. Next!
Alison
Mar 04, 2012 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-2012
I love these books, I feel like I'm watching an episode of the show. Only with a touch more introspection into Michael, Sam, and Fiona's thoughts.
Helaine
Dec 08, 2011 Helaine rated it liked it
I am a fan of the TV show so thought I would give this a try as "airport reading." Goldberg didn't disappoint--toed the TV line well. A quick read among terminal distractions.
Amanda Moore
Dec 21, 2011 Amanda Moore rated it liked it
I took a writing class from the author a few years ago and finally made a point to read one of his books. I enjoyed it!
Hazi
May 30, 2012 Hazi rated it really liked it
Good companion to the TV series. The character voices are spot on and I like getting a little extra insight into the characters.
Katarzyna Dawidiuk
Katarzyna Dawidiuk rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Destinyhunt12
Destinyhunt12 rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Dwayne Keller
Dwayne Keller rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Margaret Hosking
Margaret Hosking rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Phyllis Swain
Phyllis Swain rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Lorean
Lorean rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Lauren MacFarland
Lauren MacFarland rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • Mr. Monk on the Road (Mr. Monk, #11)
  • Septima M (Viceversa #1)
  • The Thousand Coffins Affair (The Man from U.N.C.L.E., #1)
  • Il mistero della Rosa Scarlatta (Sherlock, Lupin & Io #3)
  • #Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace
  • Dark Side Of Midnight (Spy Girl, #1)
  • Rätsel um das Schneemonster (Die Knickerbocker-Bande, #1)
  • Is That Thing Diesel?: One Man, One Bike and the First Lap Around Australia on Used Cooking Oil
  • Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures, Vol. 1
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • Alias:  Skin Deep (Prequel Series #11)
  • The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide
  • Cargo (A Leine Basso Thriller #4)
  • Sister Spy (Alias, #4)
  • Alias: The Pursuit: A Michael Vaughn Novel (Prequel Series #5)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
Tod Goldberg is the New York Times bestselling author of over a dozen books, including Gangsterland, a 2015 finalist for the Hammett Prize, The House of Secrets, which he co-authored with Brad Meltzer, and the Burn Notice series. His latest book, Gangster Nation, will be released in Fall 2017.
More about Tod Goldberg...

Burn Notice (5 books)
  • Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice, #1)
  • Burn Notice: The End Game (Burn Notice, #2)
  • Burn Notice: The Giveaway (Burn Notice, #3)
  • Burn Notice: The Reformed (Burn Notice, #4)

“What's your name, son?' Sam said. The man looked to be about Sam's age, but Sam always thought calling people 'son' immediately gave the air of imperial authority and opened the door for spanking if need be.” 2 likes
“There was a sweetness in my voice I found nauseating. I made a note to myself never to have children. Or at least not helpless children.” 1 likes