Start by marking “Dark Sun: Campaign Setting” as Want to Read:

Dark Sun: Campaign Setting

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Boxed set, Second Edition, 256 pages
Published 1991 by TSR

To ask other readers questions about Dark Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Sun

Brian
So, Dark Sun is by far my favorite setting for Dungeons and Dragons, and it'll be hard for me not to just gush for paragraphs and paragraphs about it. But I'll do my best.

Dark Sun was based on a concept developed for the BATTLESYSTEM(tm) tabletop wargame system. Originally called "War World," the basic idea was to provide a setting in which everyone could fight everyone else. A "grim darkness" in which there was "only war," if you will.

Huh. That's catchy. I should do something with that.

Anyway,
Michael
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a refreshing change from the regular D&D campaigns. I loved the novels as well.
Marc-André
One of the many campaign setting made for Dungeons and Dragons' 2nd edition, after the popularity of the Forgotten Realms surprised people at TSR.

This one was fun, different and imaginative. It was a post-apocalyptic setting where magic had caused an ecological disaster and the power of the mind, psionics, was more important than magic and gods did not exist.

The flavor of this setting really set it appart and it came with an heavy background and setting info. A classic, but for everyone.
Jared
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
I loved Dark Sun from the day it came out - it's a refreshing departure from the general fantasy cliches that still dominate the genre. I haven't played AD&D in many, many years, but I still enjoy opening up this box set on occasion just for the extremely pleasant feeling of nostalgia. I don't give this 5 stars just for the memories it evokes, though; it really is a wonderful read and contains a wealth of material to inspire the imagination, be it for the enhancement of the AD&D game or ...more
Victor Merling
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg
This was my second favorite AD&D setting (1st one is Planescape) and I remember some really cool game sessions where dehydration was a big part of what was going on. It's not a easy stroll in woods (duh!) when you are walking in the desert and under every stone, or behing every enormous skeleton, there might lurk something with psionic powers that could ruin your day.
One of its best features was a total deviation from the beaten path of fantasy, because the creatures and environment were com
Geoffrey
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one of the few campaigns that I was allowed to run. It just ended up being mostly all of us saying "Oh, it is soo HOT!!" while looking at the crappy artwork included on a self standing pad. We never finished it, but had lots of laughs at the expense of the illustrator.
Andrew Vice
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, but the amount of spelling errors were somewhat annoying.
Dale Donovan