Start by marking “Wandering” as Want to Read:
Wandering

Wandering

On May 2, 1919, Hesse wrote to Romain Rolland: "I have had to bear a very heavy burden in my personal life in recent years. Now I am about to go to Ticino once again, to live for a while as a hermit in nature and in my work." In 1920, after settling in the Ticino mountain village of Montagnola, he published Wandering, a love letter to this magic-garden world that can be ...more
Published 1972 by Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, Inc. (NY) (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Wandering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wandering

Start your review of Wandering
Ahmad Sharabiani
Wanderung = Wandering, Hermann Hesse
The first German edition of Wandering included facsimiles of fourteen watercolor landscapes. Hesse's painting had blossomed in the southern countryside and he even toyed with the idea "that I might still succeed in escaping literature entirely and making a living at the more appealing trade of painter." Unfortunately, his original pictures for Wandering have disappeared; this edition reproduces in black-and-white the full-color reproductions of the 1920
Jon Nakapalau
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books I have read in a very long time - reflective and profound without the slightest hint of judgement.
Kalin
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people soul searching
this book is compilation of poems, images and prose from Herman Hesse as he leaves his home and wanders on a journey of self discovery. i read it during a time when self discovery and introspection were much needed, and for me, it was life changing.
Ashley
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Last year I finally took Siddhartha off my shelf and gave it a try. It had been sitting there for a year or so and for some reason I never picked it up. Within a page or two I realized how foolish I had been to neglect it for so long- I ended up LOVING it. After that I read Beneath The Wheel (although my copy is titled The Prodigy) and enjoyed that as well, although not quite as much as Siddhartha.

And honestly, I just figured that would be it. I really didn't know much about Hesse, and although
Lumina
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hesse's Wandering is worth its weight in gold in this concise yet eloquent little book (more like an artistic diary interspersed with poetry). Think of it as a Baudelaire "Spleen" Light, but with more pathos and Germanic character.

Some of Hesse's most memorable quotes revolve around his constant battle with being a "good respectable middle class fellow" in direct contrast to his preferred choice of a poetic wanderer, a restless dreamer. If there is anything I agree with him the most, it is that
Greg Heimann
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
He writes in absolute honesty, no longer confined to the restrictions of a classic novel. The images and sensations he produces are stunning and moving.
Annie Laurie (WI)
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
While waiting in Juneau, Alaska, for a delayed flight to Nome, I met a man who gave me this book. I read it in one sitting, and it is now one of my most treasured books. I continue to learn from Wandering, and am always amazed at the curiosity it inspires within me.
Nandini Singh
May 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a fantastic book - made me feel i could discover so much about myself and the world around me by simply getting lost (wandering!), not only in his wonderful prose and depiction of nature, but in his constant search to find meaning in everything...
A MUST READ!
Tim Gittings
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wanderers, romantics, searchers
This book hits the root note of my internal chord. It resonates with my spirit. It has some of the most achingly beautiful imagery I have ever come across. It inspires.
Alaroj
Aug 11, 2012 added it
After reading this book I felt I wanted to take it around with me wherever. The kind of book I read when lifes anxieties seem to be unbearable. When what one needs is to sit by a stream and listen to the gentle sound of nature. That kind of serenity I get from reading Wanderings, from knowing that someone else has gone through the same situations, asked the same questions, and apparently had some decent answers.
Stacy Allbritton
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Herman Hesses Wandering and wanted to highlight the whole thing. There are very few passages here with which I could not identify. If you have a wanderlust, if you are on a journey with no particular destination, or find no great satisfaction with staying or going a certain anguish in either prospect, then you will love Wandering.

When your soul wants to settle, but your mind and body keep wandering, it can be upsetting for those who dont consider themselves to be peripatetic. One
Jose Sbuck
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A compilation of short stories describing the good and bad in life, in the setting of Swiss countryside.

I wanted to be an artist and a man of fantasy, but I also wanted to be a good man, a man at home. It all went on for a long time, till I knew that a man cannot be both and have both, that I am a nomad and not a farmer, a man who searches and not a man who keeps

The stories feel to me like they're packed with meaning, life experience, and wisdom. Hesse's writing is beautiful - I recommend the
Dusty Silvester
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely glimpse into the mindset of one of my favourite authors during a formative time immediately following the world war. This short journal provides one with a sense of familiarity that isn't available through reading his other works. I wish something similar was available from my other favorite authors.
Jeffrey May
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a constant companion of mine through my early 20's! That was back in the 1970's!!!
Louis
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an insatiable wanderer, this small, lyrical book struck a resounding chord of chords within my soul. So good.
Katie
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This book became my companion. By that, I don't mean I had it with me at all times, although it did travel with me through SXSW. (The short chapters and poems, paired with small, simple paintings, made it perfect for reading while in line or in between bands.) What I mean by 'companion' is that it became the presence of a friend who understands very clearly my inner life. Hesse was a traveler, a wanderer, a poet, an artist, a questioner, a manic-depressive, a chronic self-reflecter, and we the ...more
Farah Alshami
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poetic!! ♥

This collection of notes and sketches!! these light yet heavy and rich pages.. Filled my heart with love!

I said it before, what he writes find its home inside me.

This book has a special place in my heart, for it resamples a book i would've written; honest, words written by both heart and mind. I read it with a smile, a smile that he described by "but i smile, and not only with my mouth. I smile with my soul, with my eyes, with my whole skin"

I smiled!
ميقات الراجحي
That the writings of Hermann Hesse
Every time I read his book read by
I feel like I read this book for the first time
He believes in human beings
Here tells us about human idea of God
We can understand why Herman Hesse left his country Germany
And why he refused to War
He knows how to employ humanitarian feelings in the right place.
Timothy Ball
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When we are stricken and cannot bear our lives any longer, than a tree has something to say to us. Be still! Be still! and look at me
Life is not easy, life is not difficult. Those are childish thoughts. Let God speak within you and your thoughts will grow silent.
Zuzana
Beautiful. Magical. A true treasure.
Ryan Keller
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this man. Yes. He was flawed. Very much so. How many of the most revered writers of history have been flawed. Drinkers. Womanizers. Depressives. Straight up abusers! As far as my knowledge of Herman Hesse. I dont know if he was any of these things. I have never read a biography. But... from reading his own writing, I can tell that he has an obsession with youth, childhood and the play between darkness and light. The human and the holy. That being said. Some of those things are good. Of ...more
Max Berman
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
This has the simple, straightforward, gentle, lyrical beauty of a young man with a wise soul.

Hesse gives his wandering book a structure of a full page of one of his paintings followed by a short essay and poem that work in synergy with each other and the painting as we go along with Hesse on his spiritual journey. Freed from his fiction, we get an intoxicating concoction or rather pure distillation of his essence. Here is the existential pilgrim and champion of love, god, nature and self
PreetaR
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite books ever, has been since the last 27 years
Angie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a lesson in brevity
...good images, bad images, god images...
lifting the soul word by word
❦ Anna Francesca
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the rare times being on twitter is a positive experience!

Chris Evans shared a picture of Trees and I was very curious to read this, luckily my library had a copy. Described as prose, poetry and drawings that capture a time in the authors life when he embarked on a new journey. This small book is filled with words of wisdom and insights about the world around us. Strangely enough it was Trees that stood out most to me, as he describes the journey and life of a tree and what this
Amy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part travel journal, part sketchbook, part meditation, some poetry... simple, yet deep; timeless and timely.

From page one:
"Nothing on earth is more disgusting, more contemptible than borders. They're like cannons, like generals: as long as peace, loving kindness and peace go on, nobody pays any attention to them -- but as soon as war and insanity appear, they become urgent and sacred. While the war went on, how they were pain and prison to us wanderers."
Cate
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the whole experience of reading this one. The edition itself is lovely: nice font, little reproductions of Hesse's watercolors, and a calming flow to the writing. It's the time of winter when cabin fever sets in and I long for walks outside, so a quick jaunt over the Alps was just the ticket.
Christin Marie
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite book. The prose in this book speaks to my soul, and in it I find comfort and a connection to the author's sentiment. I feel understood and stylistically it inspires me as an author. In the words of Oprah, "this is a book I always have at my bedside."
J BadAss D
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life."
Lora Ghawaly
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I'm going to buy for myself (just borrowed from the library). It's beautiful. Really piercingly simple poems and prose. Hesse is a big favorite of mine.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Os Livros Que Devoraram o Meu Pai
  • كمشة فراشات
  • مثل من ينصت للمطر
  • El Hombre Más Rico de Babilonia
  • El mundo que nos dejáis
  • The Invention of Solitude
  • Rastos de Sândalo
  • المرآة
  • Ten Thousand Lives
  • Mendel el de los libros
  • مایده‌های زمینی
Hermann Hesse was a German-Swiss poet, novelist, and painter. In 1946, he received the Nobel Prize for Literature. His best known works include Steppenwolf, Siddhartha, and The Glass Bead Game (also known as Magister Ludi) which explore an individual's search for spirituality outside society.

In his time, Hesse was a popular and influential author in the German-speaking world; worldwide fame only

Related Articles

“For me, trees have always been the most penetrating preachers. I revere them when they live in tribes and families, in forests and groves. And even more I revere them when they stand alone. They are like lonely persons. Not like hermits who have stolen away out of some weakness, but like great, solitary men, like Beethoven and Nietzsche. In their highest boughs the world rustles, their roots rest in infinity; but they do not lose themselves there, they struggle with all the force of their lives for one thing only: to fulfil themselves according to their own laws, to build up their own form, to represent themselves. Nothing is holier, nothing is more exemplary than a beautiful, strong tree. When a tree is cut down and reveals its naked death-wound to the sun, one can read its whole history in the luminous, inscribed disk of its trunk: in the rings of its years, its scars, all the struggle, all the suffering, all the sickness, all the happiness and prosperity stand truly written, the narrow years and the luxurious years, the attacks withstood, the storms endured. And every young farmboy knows that the hardest and noblest wood has the narrowest rings, that high on the mountains and in continuing danger the most indestructible, the strongest, the ideal trees grow.” 63 likes
“Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life.” 48 likes