Start by marking “Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do: What Your Dog Can Teach You about Living a Happy Life” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Dogs know how to relax. They forgive and forget. And they scratch where it itches. They really know how to live... Every dog lover knows that man's best friend is sincere and loyal and knows how to have fun-and that dogs are wonderful creatures who have no difficulty showing their love openly. Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do is an insightful, engaging, and witty guide ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Perigee Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do

Trisha
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It captures the essence of the nature of dogs and why we love them. There are some wonderful lessons here.
In fact, this is one of those books to go back and read again, whether an entire re-read, or just a "refresher" on certain points.
Lee Yahnker
Dog stories. Too many for one book.
Darya
This book was a required reading for my summer ethics course - yes, ethics course - because by describing dogs' antics it basically reminds us of the essential human virtues, as per Aristotle: courage, loyalty etc. The book at first appears to be sort of "A Cup of Soup for Dog Lovers", and it works just fine as a tribute to our furry friends. It's a light reading, moderately entertaining, though somewhat repetitive. Basically, I can't say it's a bad book, it's just that I can't recommend it for ...more
Stacey Lynn
This was really a great read that I couldn't put down. Makes us humans take a second look at what it must be like to be a dog as well as our relationship and bond to them. There were some very humorous accounts based on the relationship of the author and his dog.
Meenakshi
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a dog, you will totally understand this book. A real masterpiece.
I picked up this book when I was really upset, and within a few days, I was feeling better again. The book also reminded me of my own dogs and how much our furry best friends can teach us. :)
Susan Mangigian
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suggested by Don Rogers. I thought I was going to buy this for my son Max but I am reading it now and I am loving it. I still pick this up and just read a chapter or so before bed sometimes when I am between books.
Heather
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
I can't say enough about this book. It's so simple but so meaningful. I loved every doggy anecdote and every piece of wisdom. Dogs really can and do teach us so much. I will definitely be re-reading this regularly.
Teresa
A commone sense way to learn about dog behavior and human behavior.
Tiffani
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about life. good one to reread every so often to remind yourself
Sherri Hancock
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book about life! I'm a dog lover and I loved this book! It compares things humans do or don't do to what a dog may or may not do! Very funny!
Cyndi
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cyndi by: Luke Barber
My ethics professor, Luke Barber, is the co-author. I loved this book, and I still read some of the stories from time to time.
Laurie Huang
Jun 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: non-fiction
not just for doggie lovers
Celest
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-intentioned book about applying the resilience and "live in the now" mind set that dogs have. Unfortunately it suffers from over-generalization of dog behavior.
Elaine
Mar 23, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. I think it is one that I really need to own.
Alyssa Hudak
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, fun, uplifting book. I've marked several pages that I will frequently visit in the future.
Sue
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We can learn lessons from these sensible partners. Short daily lessons.
Maureen
You can never read too many dog stories.
Nicole Duncan
Apr 29, 2017
Judy Tilton
Jun 20, 2016
Lauren
Aug 25, 2010
Beau
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cute. It's been a while...need to re-read.
Lindsay