Start by marking “Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques

Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques

(Overcoming)

The classic Cognitive Behavioral Therapy guide to managing anxiety.

The accessible and straightforward books in the Overcoming Series treat disorders by changing unhelpful patterns of behavior and thought. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is internationally favored as a practical means of overcoming longstanding and disabling conditions, both psychological and physical.

Paperback
Published January 30th 1997 by Robinson Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Anxiety

Start your review of Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
Anna
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive at least skimmed Overcoming Anxiety in the past, but this is my first time reading the whole thing. It's quick and easy to read in one go. I was interested to find no mention of mindfulness, because it was first published in 1997, yet the relaxation exercises are essentially the same as mindfulness meditations. Overall it presents a helpful plan for managing anxiety and does not pretend that self-help is always a substitute for professional support. I liked how systematically the techniques ...more
Tigran Ghardashyan
Բարիագույն ու պրոֆեսիոնալագույն գիրք: Կպնելու տեղ չունեմ: Ով նմանատիպ խնդիրներ ունի(անհանգստություն, լարվածություն, ֆոբիաներ, վախեր եւ այլն), շատ եմ խորհուրդ տալիս:

Review-ն ուզում եմ ավարտել գրքի postscript-ից մի հատվածով:

... It was over twenty-five years ago, I was an enthusiastic, newly qualified clinical psychologist and I did what many enthusiastic, newly qualified clinicians do I set up an anxiety management group. I worked extremely hard researching the content of the course, writing
Francesca
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful book though not what I was looking for but worth reading it anyway.
Karla
Jan 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I found this book very helpful. It's a basic introduction to the different types and causes of anxiety. The most useful information for me were coping strategies, such as breathing and relaxation techniques to ease stress. Simple and to the point, a good place to start if you're wondering how to help yourself with the physical and mental effects of anxiety.

Nancy
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been amazing for me. I recommend it to anyone out there with anxiety issues. It is presented so simply, so straightforward. It first of all discusses the philosophies or beliefs that you have that generate the fears and worries that lead to your different kinds of anxiety. It covers a lot of different manifestations of anxiety too. It's all based on cognitive behavioural techniques so basically it gives you the tools to recognize your patterns, understand them, find the trigger and ...more
Alex
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a huge evidence base around the value of reading to support health and wellbeing. A large number of self-help books have been published. The Overcoming series contains over 30 titles that cover a range of difficulties (including but not restricted to mental health problems) that are amenable to a CBT approach.

Overcoming Anxiety: A self-help guide using cognitive behavioural techniques, written by Helen Kennerley, a Clinical Psychologist, delivers exactly whats on the tin.

It starts with
Ann Pratley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this book, although once I'd finished it, I felt like something had been missing from it. There is a lot of great information in it, and many useful suggestions for techniques to manage anxiety and panic attacks, but in a way it felt like there wasn't really anything new to read in it. It is well laid out, however, and written with a solid and interesting style.

It is easy to navigate the book, so that if you weren't reading it from cover to cover, you could easily pick out which
Dil Nawaz
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you have Anxiety depression or OCD.Try to read This self help CBT book. I have learned many things to cope daily anxiety and Depression.

Many techniques

1-Slow breathing

2-Tense and Relax your muscles

3-Physical activity

Many stories of depressed and anxiety persons

In start you will read introduction of many things like

Fear
Anxiety
OCD
Depression
GAD
PTSD
Stress
Worry

Then you will read how to manage these things.

Long terms and short terms techniques
Body sensations management
Controlled Breathing

Then you
Janine Spackman
A good place to start if you're looking for practical activities to reduce anxiety in the long-term. Can be a bit overwhelming if you have a limited time to use the book. Comes with extra diaries and activities to keep you on track.
Kelsey B
3.5
Alami Housni
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
it was kind of ok, but not what expected from the book.
Caroline Button
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cb-study
And excellent book for helping you to self manage anxiety using behavioural techniques.

Each chapter is well written explaining each aspect of anxiety and self management. it has got some very useful exercises to help manage anxiety.

You would though have to be very self disciplined to follow through all of which she is suggesting and to make a difference in your life I would have thought that this is more helpful if you are having one-to-one sessions Group training to consolidate and reinforce
Holly
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-non-fiction
Having both depression and anxiety, this is the first book I have read that focuses on the latter. I found it helpful to read about types of anxiety and to gain insight into why I was feeling how I was. It also helped to learn some techniques about how to deal with this. I have written down a lot from this book into my journals so that I may refer back to it at a later date, so in all I'd say this is worth the read if suffering from any form of anxiety.
Sarah Tummey
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I took my time reading and got a bit fed up towards the end, so perhaps the author could have used fewer words, but extremely helpful overall. From the index at the back, you can see the range of topics covered.
Tom
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
If nothing else this book does get you to sit down and properly think about your anxiety issues in a constructive manner. As to whether the techniques it offers work I will have try them and see.
L. R. J. Allen
May 11, 2017
El_Mehdi
Jan 08, 2020

• Break Free from OCD: Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with CBT
  • No. More. Plastic.: What you can do to make a difference – the #2minutesolution
  • Dead at First Sight (Roy Grace, #15)
  • An Instrument of Slaughter (Home Front Detective #2)
  • The Accidental Further Adventures of the Hundred-Year-Old Man (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #2)
  • Rant
  • Steps to the Gallows (Bow Street Rivals, #2)
  • Stress Control: A Mind, Body, Life Approach to Boosting Your Well-being
  • La Boîte à merveilles
  • Le Drame Linguistique Marocain
  • La parole est un sport de combat (Essais et documents)
  • Le Dernier jour d'un Condamné (précédé de) Bug-Jargal
  • In a Country Garden
  • Menorca Marco Polo Pocket Travel Guide 2019 - with pull out map

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Childhood Trauma