Start by marking “The Last of the Plainsmen” as Want to Read:
The Last of the Plainsmen

The Last of the Plainsmen

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  618 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. Buffalo Jones needs no introduction to American sportsmen, but to these of my readers who are unacquainted with him a few words may not be amiss.
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Last of the Plainsmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last of the Plainsmen

Simon Davenport
I had to temper my rating for the reader who picks this off the shelf not knowing anything about Zane Grey or the kinds of novels he wrote (all Western themed, and all written at the turn of the 20th Century, so you can guess the subject matter and perspective).
This book, however, deals in real events, or at least events that the author has claimed to have lived through. There is a depth of feeling and honesty in Grey's own recollections of his trips through the Grand Canyon that do not fit into
Filip
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I have to admit that even though Zane Grey is such a famous author, his writing doesn't seem that great to me. It is very simple, lacks a bit of depth, it is repetitive sometimes and he could've bothered more with some descriptions. That being said, I can fully understand why his books fascinate so many people. It is quite clear that his love for the Wild West is genuine and it can draw in similar-minded people. Even though the era is long gone. Or maybe because of it.

Still, this doesn't mean I

Cameron
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
i always wanted to read A Zane Gray book because Colonel Potter on the TV show M*A*S*H* was always reading his books. he would get called away to an important matter and would say, "i guess Zane Gray will have to wait" then put his book down and go. Zane Gray is one of those classic authors you hear about yet I had no idea what book to start with. this was the only audio book of his at the Orem library so I just took it and listened to it. i really enjoyed it and he deserves the "Classic" title. ...more
JACKSON
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book by a great writer, always exciting.

I have never read a book by Zane Grey that was not exciting. Every story he writes makes you feel like your there and experiencing the actual events that are taking place. Big fan.
Kraig Kinnamon
Meh....... It kept me engaged but not anywhere close to a favorite.
Rocio Lopez
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring, just like I knew a Western would be.
Perry Whitford
The writer Zane Grey did as much as anyone to create a mythology around the Old West, with his cowboy stories featuring hardy, laconic men of impeachable courage and honor, the very image of a thousand such Hollywood cowpunchers and sharp-shooters.

Out on the trail though, he also hunted out some of the bona fide articles themselves, including the most celebrated of all the plainsmen, Buffalo Jones, the great hunter-turned conservationist. This book is a novelized account of that meeting.

Buffalo
Charles H Berlemann Jr
Zane Grey is an interesting character since he grew up out east and actually is a grad of U of Pennsylvania. However, he was a prolific writer of stories of the west. Between his novels and John Ford with movies. The myth of the American West was established. This novel is a roughly sandpaper version of an adventure that Grey took with one Charles "Buffalo" Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...) in the desert region of Arizona and trying to help Jones capture some Buffalo/Bison that we ...more
Jeff
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So wannabe author Zane Grey, a middle class eastern dentist of around age 35, went west to find out about it and to pursue his passion of writing. He manages to lasso an old plainsman, “Colonel” Buffalo Jones who remembers the days of the great buffalo slaughters. Jones has, apparently, strange sensibilities-- for his own time, certainly, but maybe for any time.
He’s had enough of killing and he likes to take animals out of the wild and raise them as pets. He has a ranch in Arizona, relatively c
Starry
I picked this up at the library to read while hiking the Grand Canyon, but the book (hardcover) was too heavy to bring in my pack. However, I read the first few chapters and a short biography of the author, and now have misgivings about ever finishing (restarting) the book.

First, the writing style is distracting -- it sounds "spaghetti western"-ish, replete with Native Americans talking cartoon Indian talk (you know it: "How, Pale Face. Me huntum big buffalo."). Maybe this is because Zane Grey's
the last of the plainsmen 1 1 Mar 03, 2016 07:05PM
  • The Night Horseman
  • Rebel Spurs
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Crossfire Trail
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...