Start by marking “The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)

The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild #9)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  565 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Stretched almost to the limit by the capricious demands of a Boston Brahmin bride-to-be, caterer and minister's wife, Faith Fairchild, faces real tragedy when she discovers the body of an elderly friend. Sarah Winslow had apparently surprised burglars ransacking her Aleford, Massachusetts, house. No sooner has Sarah been laid to rest than the Fairchilds find themselves the ...more
Published April 2nd 2002 by Avon (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Bookcase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Bookcase

Sandy Bell
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, quick read. The novel's strength comes from the author's personal experience with her own home robbery. The emotions that come from a violation like that was well written. Enjoyable characters, but would have liked a little more depth. A delightful cozy mystery.
Franny
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Body in the Bookcase" is a light, uncomplicated cozy. As with most "mysteries" of this sub-genre, the story stretches credibility, but the protagonist is fun and funny and most readers won't mind.
Pat
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little different aspect of Faith Fairchild.
Vintagebooklvr
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed the book but the ending I thought was just silly so it lowered the rating for me.
Natasha
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, I like the religious side of it.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
One of her better efforts, but with a bit too much of the rich and famous lifestyle: gourmet food, expensive clothes, luxury cars,...
Kathy Davie
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Ninth in the Faith Fairchild cooking mystery series set in Aleford, Massachusetts.

My Take
You know Faith, she's not willing to sit and wait for the police to figure out what's happened so she slowly works her way up from scanning the stuff of pawnshops to the mall-type antique booths on up to auction houses gathering in her evidence and her treasures until she does discover who has been organizing the B&Es. All the while she's catering, in every sense of the word, to a spoiled rich girl who k
Linda
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I debated between 3 and 4 stars thinking this deserves a 3.5 but then decided that it's so much better than the last one I read that I'd give it 4 stars. There is still too much irrelevant information and references to things that I didn't get, but this one has a good storyline. I just can't figure out how the protagonist, Faith Fairchild, gets everything done that she accomplishes- only in the book world, I guess. She's the mother of two young pre-school children, a small town minister's wife w ...more
Theresa
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Epilogue stunk--not sure what that was about. I liked this one a lot though because there wasn't as much irrelevant info. and cooking nonsense, although the police were kind of stupid in this which was annoying. One of the better ones in the series though, which is sad and says a lot about the series considering I've still only given it 2 stars.

Note: I've read this entire series up to The Body in the Attic, and the best rating I've given any of them is 2 stars, which is sad and says a lot ab
Judy Goodnight
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my 2014 reading goals is to get caught up with this series. I began reading the Faith Fairchild mysteries when the series debuted but after the first few, I got hopelessly behind as other books and life demands clamored for my attention. This book was a good one to start off the year with because, in my opinion, it's one of the best she's done so far.

Quick synopsis: Faith sets off to make visits to parishioners and, at the first stop, discovers the body of elderly Sarah Winslow, victim of
Vickie
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable amateur sleuth series. Everything is handled, especially the two things I look for: why the amateur sleuth starts investigating on his or her own and what happens to the kids (if the amateur sleuth has them) while said amateur sleuth is out amateur sleuthing. That has bugged me in the past when the main character has younguns and just takes off, casually dropping the kids somewhere or conveniently has someone drop by to have coffee and ends up taking care of the kids or ...more
Ellen Moore
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting book. An older lady friend of Faith has her house broken into and is tied up and robbed. Faith finds her. The lady dies. A short time later, the parsonage is robbed, and the Fairchilds also lose many of their personal possessions to which they are emotionally attached. Faith does not feel that the police are doing enough and becomes obsessed with trying to recover what was taken from them and goes to antique dealers and auctions while preparing to cater an exclusive weddi ...more
Marti
May 24, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked this book but would not seek out another Faith Fairchild mystery. Both she and her wedding clients seemed rather more intense than they needed to be. Her sleuthing appeared to be at the expense of her children and husband, who received much less attention.

The idea of including recipes is nice--Diane Mott Davidson does it too, and she has a character who is a caterer, too. This one tells the reader the pitfalls of inadequate property protection, and where a person who has been robbed migh
Peter
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you read one Katherine Hall Page book, you've read enough. This book reads like a Hallmark TV special. It never really was all that engaging...just enough to not stop reading it. And if you forget that it takes place in New England, don't worry, you'll have about 5 reminders on each page. New Englandars are thrifty. New England is old money. New Englandanders like antiquing. New Englandars live in small towns with pretty white churches. New Englanders like comfort food. Oh, and there's a prim ...more
colleen
Apr 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
my mom passed this mystery along to me after she read it and we both agreed that it contained some interesting information, but neither of us like the main character. she's a caterer who solves mysteries, but she's no goldie schultz. in fact, she's somewhat of a food snob, slamming casseroles, velveta cheese product (OK, that i can understand) and convenience foods. i could actually hear her "sniff" dismissively as she looked in a neighbor's grocery cart.

the interesting part is about home burgla
Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A new author - it was the first time I'd read anything by this author. The story was a good one, set in a quaint old small New England town near Boston and revolved around the Antiques business. The amateur sleuth was a Pastor's wife/caterer who owned her own catering business. Kind of reminded me of Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote. It had a lot going on and the ending was a complete stunner. I enjoyed the characters in the story. Will definitely grab more from this author the next time I c ...more
Karen Hufman
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think I actually read this book a long time ago - when I first started reading 'cozy' mysteries. The writing feels a little more heavy, dense than these typical types of mysteries but I enjoyed it. Sarah was a friend of Hope's who died in the process of a robbery at her house. Shortly after this happened, Faith's home was broken into. Now that I live in the east coast, which is filled with little antique stores, I can easily picture the shops Hope visited. The only thing that I feel didn't qui ...more
Melissa
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good mystery. This is my first "culinary mystery," which I didn't even know was a genre! I had to read one for my summer reading program and who can turn down a book titled "the Body in the Bookcase."

I was surprised how much I liked the main character, Faith Fairchild, and her endearing family. I think I would read another in this series - especially with some of the recipes they share in the back.
Joanne
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a loong time ago, which I realized about one fourth of the way through it, so skimmed to the end. I like Faith Fairchild, Page's detective, because the crimes she faces are somewhat small-town and somewhat realistic, aside from her ability to be a pastor's wife and caterer and solve crimes in between caring for her two small children. (Yeah. Right.) The ending for this one, though, is particularly ridiculous.
Jane Healy
This "cozy" mystery was waaaay too cozy for me. I probably would have appreciated it more if I were from New England, where the book is set. There's a great deal of value placed on sterling, and apparently less on people. Too much narrative and not enough action. I'm sure many people would enjoy this book. It is part of a series that is not my cup of cozy tea.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
An interesting cozy read starring Faith Fairchild, caterer and minister's wife. Faith has an unfortunate habit of finding bodies and then have to find what happened. She tries not to get involved, but eventually she gets to work.
Linda
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this series addition but might have enjoyed it more in physical format. Just not a natural ebook reader. It's too hard for me to move around in the novel if I want to remind myself of a prior event. Can't teach an old dog...I suppose.
Janet
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I can assure you that despite unpacking 5 more boxes of books today, there is no body in any of my bookcases. Enough dust that someone could be coming or going, but no bodies. And by the way, a thoroughly enjoyable guilty pleasure read.
Deborah
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bought this used on Ebay as I was moving to Massachusetts where the book takes place. Love the characters and the charm of an old New England town. This series is fun and interesting. Really captures small town living. Will read more in the series.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: mystery, 2002, new-england
This book mentions my hometown - Pepperell MA (p. 127)
It's a real trip down memory lane for me, since I grew up in the area where the book is centered. Lots of New England culture and references. Good story, too!
ChrisGA
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Minister's wife/caterer/mother, Faith, investigates the death of a friend killed in a burglary and the robbery of her own home. Enjoyed this cozy mystery but do wish authors didn't feel the need to add "cuss" words.
Cindy
Sep 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
Even being a minister's wife is no protection from crime, as Faith Fairchild finds when a rash of burglaries in her town result in a murder.
BeParticular
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun read in this series. I liked that Faith took control of the investigation mostly on her own this time. And I found the insider information about the antiques business quite interesting.
Jason
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love a mystery that can surprise me-and the twist at the end of this one was GREAT!
Jan
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another headstrong caterer who solves murder mysteries.
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)
  • The Strangling on the Stage (Fethering, #15)
  • The Baked Bean Supper Murders (Eugenia Potter, #2)
  • A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
  • The Blue Corn Murders (Eugenia Potter, #5)
  • The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5)
  • A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Ringing in Murder (Pennyfoot Hotel #16)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • The Case of the Horrified Heirs (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Bread on Arrival (Heaven Lee, #4)
  • Love Poems of Elizabeth and Robert Browning
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
Katherine Hall Page is the author of fifteen previous Faith Fairchild mysteries, the first of which received the Agatha Award for best first mystery and the most recent of which, The Body in the Snowdrift, was honored with the Agatha Award for best novel. Page also won an Agatha for her short story "The Would-Be Widower." She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. (from the publisher's w ...more
More about Katherine Hall Page...

Faith Fairchild (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • The Body in the Basement (Faith Fairchild, #6)
  • The Body in the Bog (Faith Fairchild, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)
  • The Body in the Moonlight (Faith Fairchild, #11)