Start by marking “Titans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #3)” as Want to Read:
Titans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #3)

Titans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,105 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Titans of Chaos completes John Wright's The Chronicles of Chaos. Launched in Orphans of Chaos--a Nebula Award Nominee for best novel in 2006, and a Locus Year's Best Novel pick for 2005--and continued in Fugitives of Chaos, the trilogy is about five orphans raised in a strict British boarding school who discovered that they are not human.
     The students have been kidnap
Published April 17th 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Titans of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Titans of Chaos

Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The cover of this book touts it as "The Fantastic Climax of The Chronicles of Chaos." Most series, in their final book, spend a decent portion on the final build to the climax, which can sometimes be a letdown for the amount of build-up afforded it. Not so here. The climatic battle to which the children have been "destined" the entire trilogy takes up a good portion of this final book. And set aside all your preconceptions of where he could have gone and what he could have done, Wright takes thi ...more
Oh, my, God. Although I didn't pick up all of the Orphans of Chaos books at one time to read straight through, I wish I had. John C. Wright writes several paradigms of reality and their associations with one another at the same time FLAWLESSLY. I don't want to give any particulars away because I really want readers to try these books. Although you do not have to be a genius to figure out all of what he is talking about, trying to keep up with it all was challenging in a fun way. I almost had to ...more
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Wow, I thought this series had such promise, but I have to admit I was fairly underwhelmed by Titans of Chaos. The "kids" discovered and got a handle on their powers in the previous volumes. The excitement and novelty of their powers (for me) had worn thin by the final book. The action was somewhat of a jumbled mess--often I wasn't quite sure who was fighting whom, what powers nullified others, why there seemed to be wave after wave of opponents attacking the kids. I came very close to putting t ...more
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this author he does a great job and I am looking forward to other series by him.
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Overall a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, which I mentioned previously as really being just one big book.

Probably would have worked better as 2 volumes-- the inevitable growth and victory of the protagonists moves along a bit too incrementally. Or there could have been more variety in their adventures, somehow, in order to merit the length.

or perhaps I just read through these two quickly... still, a satisfying and enjoyable way to spend the time if not the most ultimately awesome book ever
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: greek-roman
I feel I must justify the falling stars for this series. The wonderful and fascinating ideas about the paradigms of the main characters rocked, all the way through, and never got boring. But there just wasn't much variation in the level of tension through the 2nd book and especially through the last. Not that they were boring... the kids were on their runaway quest from the end of the first book, and it never let up. There was never a good place to put the book down, and it just wasn't sustainab ...more
Catarina Reis
In this book they done a lot of stuff. In some parts I was confused. But I liked action. Although, my favorite of the three was the book 2.

Spoilers :

I didn't like the final part, because she didn't stay with both boys!
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great ending to a fun series. Nothing that will blow your mind, but a great read
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Robert R Chase
This was a fantastic conclusion to this trilogy! Action packed, our heroes and heroines have come into their strengths and abilities and navigate their way through the overlapping chaos-es to find a way to establish a permanent freedom for themselves. As one might imagine, when dealing with chaos piled upon chaos, there's a lot going on, but we still get a moment to go shopping, dress up for a nice, long night out, and finally take a nice long bath.

Wright nicely ties his plot in a bow, and bring
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amelia, Victor, Vanity, Quentin, and Colin, five teenagers who each come from different paradigms of Chaos, can no longer run from the gods who raised them as captives. Now their battle for freedom begins in earnest... until they find the enemy not quite what they had thought. Released as bait to tease out Lamia, the teens get a chance to explore the extent of their powers. But they want more than the taste of freedom. They just have to figure out how to get free and stay free without renewing t ...more
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed

I don't know what to say about this book. I've been saving it for a long while now, and I just don't know what to say.

I can start off by saying that the author does know how to make things interesting and how to spin an exciting and thrilling adventure. However, one of the problems you have when you talk about space-time in more than three dimensions is that you can be very confusing. I've studied mathematics in multiple dimensions and systems of equations in 4, 5 and 6 dimensions, but the discu

Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a big fan of some quasi gender essentialism stuff in here, but a solid series.
Alicia Mitsch
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Susan Cooper and Madeline L'Engle fans
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is a fantastic series. It's the perfect meld between Susan Cooper's Dark Is Rising series and Madeline L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series. I'm not a sci-fi fan, but the use of mathematics, philosophy, and science was outstanding. As you wonder about the true nature of reality, paradigms begin to emerge; some fit, some don't. However, each paradigm is equally worthy in describing the experienced phenomena. Is reality made of atomic particles which are eually useful and interchangeable? Or is r ...more
Joseph R.
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Titans of Chaos is the slam-bang finale to John C. Wright's Chronicles of Chaos. Having finally escaped from their English boarding school (which is really their prison), the five orphans from alternate Chaotic dimensions are on the run. After a harrowing attack on the cruiseship QEII, they race across the planet Earth and cross over to other planets in an attempt to find a spot where they can safely and peacefully live out their lives. But will the Greek gods let them?

The story is action-packed
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Talk about a let-down to a series. While I enjoyed the first two books, the last fell apart. The first half of the book was generally pointless dicking around, while the entire last half of the book was the climactic action sequence that redefined "overblown" while at the same time being an emotional punt, since by this point I didn't care very much about the characters at all. Their relationships, interesting in the first book, never truly developed, and it was fairly obvious by the last book t ...more
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-the-library
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Keith Davis
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Titans of Chaos is basically one long fight scene between the five orphans and the rebellious god who sought to control them. I was kind of amazed by how Wright was able the maintain the pace of the battle through a book length story and give each character a chance to shine and show-off. Whatever you may think of Wright's politics, you have to appreciate his skill with pacing and narrative structure.
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get through this last book. There was a lot of mathematical physics jargon to swallow in this last book, but all in all it was a very enjoyable trilogy. The author has a wide grasp of mythology and making multiple paradigms work together in the same plot. The characters were well written and likable. If John c. Wright decided I'm going to write another book for the Chaos Chronicles I would buy it.
Shanshad Whelan
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Started this trilogy, figured I should finish it. Parts of it are fairly good world building, but the whole of it tends to be hard to keep track of unless you have a fairly sophisticated flow chart for the names and paradigms and powers that populate the books. It was decent, though I found the sexuality themes less than appealing. A quick read with lots of action, perhaps a little more "chaotic" than I like but what the heck, that was the one of the themes of the book.
Mary Catelli
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy-fic
In which the children act upon what they learned in Orphans of Chaos and Fugitives of Chaos. Which I will not reveal for the spoilers involved. 0:)
Lillian Butler
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Clunky ending to an otherwise interesting series. The author kept trying to build to a climax or a real resolution but he'd written himself into multiple corners by the second book and never made any attempt at getting out. Could have done without the very clunky and dated "sexual awakening" plotline. Another case of a very cool idea mishandled, IMHO.
Allan Jacques
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Actually this review goes for the whole series...
Great idea!
Execution? Well, good execution, sort of....
The series start assuming you would have some prior knoledge about deities and physics, making lots of assumptions and connecting dots all over the place.
Nonetheless, great books for fantasy and quantum physics enthusiasts!
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like innovative plotlines that don't delve into cliches
A good wrap-up for this series, with some really interesting scenes. For some reason I felt like something in the ending could have been a bit more satisfying, even though I can't put my finger on what was missing. Really interesting characters, though, and one of the most unique plotlines and settings that I've read in a very long time.
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not quite as enjoyable as the first two books in the series, but still quite good, with intriguing concepts of super-powers/magic/gods based on perception and manipulation of differing aspects of the universe and other dimensions. For that aspect alone it's worth reading, but it's a really good story too.
Natasha Hurley-Walker
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Meh. Characters still shallow, mythology over the heads of most kids, story too silly to appeal to adults(view spoiler), and still too much disturbing predatory male/ helpless female sexual undertones. I love the 4D protagonist, but the characterization is strictly 1D.

TLDR: Skip this series, read the Golden Age instead.
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
It would have worked better as 2 volumes, if I hadn't had all 3 at my disposal I might have been annoyed, but the first book was the best. I caught myself skimming thru scientific gobbelty gook. I would have liked it more if I were younger tho I probably would have skimmed over more too.

Interesting but Meh
B. Zedan
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone, really.
Shelves: real-book
So, I sucked this trilogy down like a crazy person and dang was it great. Lots more battling in this book, as the characters come into themselves, which I love.

A surprising bonus: up until the very last two pages of the third book, it is reasonably unclear which of the two romantic interests the main character will choose. It was a nice change from the norm.
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
More than 150 pages to describe a single running battle. Even though the book is virtually non-stop action, it became boring. The author tied up all loose ends at the end, but there are too many villains and they have multiple names, making it difficult to keep track. The sex seems to me to be gratuitous. I would not particularly recommend this author.
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
It kinda fizzles. The author tries to top everything by just piling things higher, larger aries, more powerful greek gods, it ends feeling like Dragonball Z, including the constant "dying".

Anyway, it was a fun series.
Victor vs. Colin (contains spoiler) 3 11 May 31, 2013 08:47PM
  • Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Drinker of Souls: Wild Magic, #1)
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
  • Ghost Ocean
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • The Whitby Witches (The Whitby Witches, #1)
  • Everfree (Idlewild, #3)
  • Year's Best SF 15
  • The White Tyger (Princess of Roumania, #3)
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions
  • Next of Kin
  • Blood & Spirits (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)
  • Who Slashed Celanire's Throat?
  • Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales
  • Harm
  • Timeshares
John C. Wright (John Charles Justin Wright, born 1961) is an American author of science fiction and fantasy novels. A Nebula award finalist (for the fantasy novel Orphans of Chaos), he was called "this fledgling century's most important new SF talent" by Publishers Weekly (after publication of his debut novel, The Golden Age).
More about John C. Wright...

Chronicles of Chaos (3 books)
  • Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1)
  • Fugitives of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Waking Land (The Waking Land, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00